Welding

carlyai

Well they have most of my roof trusses up and the welds and the trusses look fine. When I can I'll get some pic up. There is a lot of strenghning in the beams because of the 7 m span and because we are having no ceiling just exposed beams. Fake wood to confuse the termites and hopefull no hot space that traps the heat.

Bit hard to get to the BITEC show but will have to get there one year. Had a similar show when i worked in China and the lathes looked so beautiful that my mate with me bought one. Was a bit of a rash decision seeing we only had push bikes to get home.

Went to Thai Watsadu in Mukdahan a couple of days ago and understand now what is meant by 'in ver TER' welders, they had heaps of them. Beautiful Welpro 200 took my eye and they even had a place set up to test the welders. It looks like a small inverter arc is the thing for me, just gota get the shed now.

Has anyone bought a Flux core wire welder here in Thailand? Wondering if there are any good models available? A friend back in the USA bought one for about 70 bucks US and is welding very thin wall tubing with it. He had no welding experience either which makes it even more impressive.

These seem like a reasonable and low hassle choice and I am surprised no one responded.

Strictly speaking, why would you want to eliminate the gas when using MIG (unless you have no gas of course)?

I'm not teaching anyone to suck eggs, but Metal Inert Gas welding speaks for itself.

Flux cored wires and solid wires offer good results without the need to constantly stop and change electrodes (SMAW).

Wouldn't dream of using a MIG machine without the gas, we would just use stick (SMAW) - bear in mind we test all critical welds by ultrasonic third party tests.

Gasless (flux-cored) can be useful when outside as as it tends to shield better in a breeze. Makes sense.

Yes, welding with a gas shield is tricky outdoors or in the path of a ventilation system, but as all our work is on site we do all we can to shelter the nozzle from the breeze/wind/ventilation.

Not sure how we got onto MIG as its not suited to the OP's job.

Glad they have almost finished your roof Carlyai.

Has anyone bought a Flux core wire welder here in Thailand? Wondering if there are any good models available? A friend back in the USA bought one for about 70 bucks US and is welding very thin wall tubing with it. He had no welding experience either which makes it even more impressive.

These seem like a reasonable and low hassle choice and I am surprised no one responded.

My suspicion is that nobody has responded because nobody has found what you’re looking for. And I can’t prove a negative based only on my personal experiences. I haven’t looked everywhere.

Seriously, I don’t know if the flux core wire is available in Thailand to use in inexpensive low amperage machines. You may (or may not) find big diameter flux core used by the big boys, and none in smaller diameters for home use. Welding at home isn’t popular in Thailand like it is with us rednecks in the USA.

I even had a hard time finding smaller stick in 1.6mm and 2.0mm here in BKK. I finally found some, but it was at welding specialty stores- and they don’t sell $70 wire feed welders. I’d bet your friend got his on sale at Harbor Freight or Southern Tools (or EBay).

If I wanted to start to learn welding on the cheap here in Thailand, I’d pick up a 200A transformer type stick machine for less than $100. They’re labeled MMA machines here. I’d buy some indigenous 2.6mm A/C rod that will work on that machine, an automatic helmet, some good gloves, an angle grinder, and some scrap drops at the steel dealer. All of that will be easy to find at most hardware hole-in-the walls on every street in BKK. Then I’d go to Youtube for the thousands of welding how-to videos and practice, practice, practice. You'll make passable welds in an hour or so, but don't hang off the balcony from one of them just yet.

That combination works for my limited skills and needs just as well as the inverter machine for 2x the money. But I’m just a welding hack, so I’d recommend an inverter machine if you’re planning to get serious. I hire out my critical welding. After you learn the stick, you can decide if you want to spend the money (and more practice, practice, practice) to move on to TIG or MIG.

Flux core wire is available in Thailand but the price of a bottle of gas is dirt cheap so I do not know why you would bother with it.

'cause I can't figure out how to get the bottle strapped onto my scooter, or into the back of my Yaris?

My suspicion is that nobody has responded because nobody has found what you’re looking for. And I can’t prove a negative based only on my personal experiences. I haven’t looked everywhere.

Seriously, I don’t know if the flux core wire is available in Thailand to use in inexpensive low amperage machines. You may (or may not) find big diameter flux core used by the big boys, and none in smaller diameters for home use. Welding at home isn’t popular in Thailand like it is with us rednecks in the USA.

I even had a hard time finding smaller stick in 1.6mm and 2.0mm here in BKK. I finally found some, but it was at welding specialty stores- and they don’t sell $70 wire feed welders. I’d bet your friend got his on sale at Harbor Freight or Southern Tools (or EBay).

If I wanted to start to learn welding on the cheap here in Thailand, I’d pick up a 200A transformer type stick machine for less than $100. They’re labeled MMA machines here. I’d buy some indigenous 2.6mm A/C rod that will work on that machine, an automatic helmet, some good gloves, an angle grinder, and some scrap drops at the steel dealer. All of that will be easy to find at most hardware hole-in-the walls on every street in BKK. Then I’d go to Youtube for the thousands of welding how-to videos and practice, practice, practice. You'll make passable welds in an hour or so, but don't hang off the balcony from one of them just yet.

That combination works for my limited skills and needs just as well as the inverter machine for 2x the money. But I’m just a welding hack, so I’d recommend an inverter machine if you’re planning to get serious. I hire out my critical welding. After you learn the stick, you can decide if you want to spend the money (and more practice, practice, practice) to move on to TIG or MIG.

Impulse... I've done a lot of stick and torch welding in the past and know how tough it is to weld thin wall tubing. Seeing my friend's work in back in the states was impressive. If I can find a good flux wire welder here in Thailand, it would be great for small projects. Low investment and doesn't take up much space.

Impulse... I've done a lot of stick and torch welding in the past and know how tough it is to weld thin wall tubing. Seeing my friend's work in back in the states was impressive. If I can find a good flux wire welder here in Thailand, it would be great for small projects. Low investment and doesn't take up much space.

Let's make a deal where if either one of us finds one, we'll post back. I'd buy one in a heartbeat just to practice the MIG process, with or without the G.

Welding thin wall tubing is why I buy the 1.6mm and 2.0mm stick. Uses very low amperage and I burn through a lot less.

But keep in mind I'm a hack. I have no shop here in Thailand. I weld on my apartment balcony, plugging into the outlet I use for my microwave. I turn off my A/C so I don't throw breakers any more. (Strangely, my chop saw seems to be worse on breakers than my welder, but this isn't a thread about chop saws) My unit, by necessity, packs up into its own little case, and fits into a small drawer between projects.

If anyone's looking for professional welding advice, I'm not the guy. Still, I have made some very useful items, and done some handy repairs with my unit. So I'm sharing my experience to save time for others who want to weld out of their apartment, using household electricity, with a unit that packs up into a small box.

• 11 months later...

I shall bring this welding topic back up.

I just read the lot but now baffled.

I had this idea of buying a reasonable quality MIG welder in Thailand.

I am not quite sure the reason that I was deciding on purchasing a MIG welder.

I was under the impression that a MIG welder was the most practical for repairing farm equipment and constructing steel roofs in Thailand?

I started watching a load of YouTube videos and being quite practical thought that it looks quite easy to self learn?

Then I started looking at the MIG equipment.

Most of the YouTube videos seem to use Hobart and Miller (come from same parent company) and Lincoln so gathered they are the best?

I was thinking that most of the work done is away from a source of electric mains and that I would need a generator.

I was looking at buying a generator for the farm for lighting and possibly powering bore hole pump etc. as there is no mains electric supply.

I was then thinking that the generator could also be used for powering a MIG welder.

I was looking at a Honda generators as they seem to have a good reputation, available parts and are reasonably cheap in Thailand because they are similarly manufactured in Thailand for export.

I looked at the most powerful Honda available for the UK web site that is the EG5500 that has maximum output of 5500 watts but rated at 5000 watts.

The I started looking further into the specifications of MIG welders and trying to understand the generator size that I would require to drive the MIG welder.

So I did a load of google searches to forums for information and it all depends on the voltage and input amps and output amps and size of rod etc etc. with for example simple equation like:

Open Circuit (Volts x Amps) +10% = KvA generator.

My questions to you are on the basis that:

I do not buy crap (it doesn't pay economically in the long run)

I require welding kit to repair farm equipment, build steel roofs, make things for the farm in steel.

I have the normal Thai electric supply in the village house

I intend to use the welder on remote farms and will need to use a generator.

What welding kit should I buy and what generator (watts) should I buy to do this (i.e. would a Honda EG5500 be ok)?

Cashboy, the issue with welders is old syle transformed VS inverter welders.

Ill try not to get too nerdy on this so hop this makes sense . . ..

Transformer welders are a massively inductive load with a lousy "power factor" - some as low as 0.4. That means the current lags the voltage driving it and hence it requires a bigger capacity generator than you would count on for the basic rating. Ie if the KVA rating for the transformer welder is 3KVa you would be looking for a 6 KVA generator. Additionally there VERY heavy.

Inverter welders have a nice power factor of around 0.9 so they look like a well behaved load to the generator - so the 3KVA inverter would probably be quite happy on a 3.5 KVA generator. Inverter welders are SIGNIFICANTLY lighter.

If you look at the welder brochures for the better known brands you will see that in the details.

If your not looking for a massive welder - then there are some good combo units with Plasma cut and weld in the one unit. The plasma cut works a treat on cutting up angle and heavy pieces of metal around the farm. You will need a mid size compressor to supply the air for the plasma cut side - but well worth it.

I see a LOT of generators being used around the outlying areas of Pattaya for construction work. There is a Yellow one (Sorry cant remember the brand - I will look during the week - that seems very popular and well built. The popular size seems to be between 7 to 10 KVA with battery start.

So if you do go for a combined weld / cut unit you will need to power the compressor of the generator as well - so 7 to 10KVA is a good choice.

Archived