Strong 6.0-magnitude quake rattles northern Thailand: USGS

webfact

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Suthep calls for immediate corruption investigation into real cause of the earthquake, near Chiang Rai Monday!

Reports from Dubai that Thaksin Shinawatra ordered. Suspected that orders were to be carried out by his sister.

Oh, wait ... that was a dream?

Oh, never mind ... biggrin.png

Really!? MORE juvenile trolling!! You need your head examined.. Don't worry, never any mind to be found there I'm certain.

• Like 1

I asked if Thailand had any seismic activity and they said "no". No fault lines, no subduction zones and that the country, especially in the Isaan area was the most stable and least likely to have any ground movement caused by earthquakes. They understood the question and I I understood their answer. Odd neither of them knew there was a fault line near Chiang Rai.

I suspect this was a rare occurrence.

Just two weeks ago I had two different pool builders tell me Thailand didn't have any seismic activity so I didn't need to consider that when choosing between a pool with tile or a liner.

Wonder what they're saying now?

I didn't feel anything in Bangkok on the 4th floor and this place moves sometimes when heavy trucks speed past the building.

Everywhere can and does have earthquakes but Bangkok isn't a place prone to earthquakes, Northern Thailand is more so. Building codes are different depending on the likelihood of a significant quake .... NY doesn't build to LA standards even though NY gets earthquakes too.

I think you either misunderstood the pool builders or they were telling you something in very basic terms to not make things complicated.

Hope no one was injured.

Apparently one fatality.

. default120.jpg reports that a Rajahbat university student fell down the stairs and cracked her head or broke her neck (sorry my Thai is not good) sustaining a fatal injury. It also posted a distressing photo that I will not repost as it is disrespectful.

• Like 1

First casualty reported in Monday quake

BANGKOK: -- A 83-year-old woman was reportedly killed in Chiang Rai when a 6.3 Richter quake hit the North Monday evening.

Chiang Rai Governor Pongsak Wangsamer told Jor Sor 100 radio station that the woman was killed when her house's wall fell on her. She was a resident of Mae Lao district.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-06

Felt it in Bangkok! 15th floor..., it felt more like a slow wave movement than that of a shake.

The funniest part..., I joined friends last night for a get together that last entirely too long and resulted in a nice hangover today. When first I felt it, I hesitated saying anything to my GF who was cooking dinner. Figured she'd call me Ting Tong and say it was my hangover. When I did say something, she came over to the dining room table where I was sitting with notebook, sat down and agreed..., we were definitely wobbling.

Interesting..., and we both agreed on this...., it seemed to last at least 30 seconds..., maybe more.

Bangkok 19th floor....until I read this I was unaware of the quake, but i remember at that time a really weird sensation.

I have a bad cold and had just blown my nose when I felt like I was moving to and fro...thought I had blown too hard and scrambled what little grey matter I have.

Little did I know it was the building moving, not me!

Hope everybody up there is ok, but equally happy I don't have a brain anurism (yet!)w00t.gif

Nonthaburi, 23rd floor, and I clearly felt it. The building was swaying for a minute or so.

If this kind of quake happens in bkk, it would be a disaster, as there is not earthquake building codes in bkk as far as I know, and so many tall buildings.

BBC has no respect. Such a big event on coronation day, and BBC did not put it in their headline news. I think I am going to unsubscribe to Jon Head.

Totally agree just like the Thai news coverage of the Afghan village where 2500 people were killed.Totally outrages.By the way his real name is Dick Head.

Just felt a few-seconds aftershock in Mae-Jo, 10 km North of Chiang Mai.

Followed a few minutes later, by a couple of smaller ones, just barely noticeable.

Just keeps on rocking. Has been an eventful night! And a little rolling this morning too... Central Chiangmai!

More than 50 aftershocks follow Monday quake: disaster prevention department

BANGKOK: -- More than 50 aftershocks followed the 6.3-Richter earthquake that hit Chiang Rai and nearby provinces Monday evening, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department announced.

The quake happened at 6:08 pm with epicenter in Tambon Sai Khao in Chiang Rai's Phan district.

As of 10:15 pm, there were three major aftershocks measured at 5.0 to 5.9 on the Richter scale. The aftershocks measured at 4.0 to 4.9 on the Richter scale were registered ten times, the department said.

There were 20 aftershocks of the 3.0 to 3.9 Richter scales and 20 other aftershocks were registered with the magnitude less than 3.0 on the Richter scale.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-06

• Like 1

Patients of Phan district hospital evacuated following two aftershocks Tuesday

BANGKOK: -- Patients and their relatives were evacuated from the Phan district hospital in Chiang Rai Tuesday morning after two aftershocks happened following the 6.3-Richter quake Monday evening.

The hospital ordered at the evacuation at 8 am.

The two major aftershocks Tuesday morning followed more than 50 aftershocks Monday after the quake with epicenter in in Tambon Sai Khao in Chiang Rai's Phan district happened at 6:08 pm Monday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-06

In Chiang Rai, less than 20 miles from epicenter. Lots of aftershocks last night and this morning. At least a dozen. Exciting.

You know how elephants can hear very low tones? I'm not an elephant and neither do I have big flappy ears, but I can sense somewhat low vibrational tones. Each aftershock is preceded by, and accompanied by very low tones.

The preceding sound is roughly 1 to 3 seconds.

Major dams unaffected by Chiang Rai quake

TAK, 6 May 2014 (NNT) – Major dams were reportedly unaffected by the magnitude 6.3 earthquake that originated in Chiang Rai province on Monday evening.

Phisut Chokkhatiwat, director of Bhumibol Dam in Tak province, said the earthquake did not affect the dam structure nor the top part of the dam. Bhumibol Dam is a concrete arch dam situated roughly 350 kilometers from Chiang Rai province. It was designed to withstand earthquakes of magnitudes up to 7.5 on the Richter scale.

Meanwhile, Suthep Loetsimongkhon, the director of Sirikit Dam in Uttaradit province, also indicated that Sirikit Dam was not affected by the quake either, based on readings from the seismometer installed there. He said the quake epicenter was around 230 kilometers from Sirikit Dam, which can withstand up to magnitude 7 earthquakes.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-06 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Now Thailand have another problem.

Some years ago i read that many newer high buildings in Bangkok are not earthquake proofed.

...and have you checked if your fire brigade can handle fires and rescues from tall buildings in BKK?

I suspect this is why Chiang Mai buildings are now restricted to 7 levels.