Urgent: EC resolves not to sent draft royal decree Tuesday

webfact

Urgent: EC resolves not to sent draft royal decree Tuesday

BANGKOK: -- The Election Commission Tuesday resolved not to send a draft royal decree on the new election date to the Cabinet for now.

The EC reasoned that it has yet to iron out differences on legal technicalities related to the new decree and election so it would invite caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to another consultation first.

The Cabinet expected the EC would submit a draft royal decree for it to approve Tuesday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-06

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has finally dawned on the EC that there may not even be a Yingluck or cabinet by tomorrow so what is the point in getting them to issue a royal decree anyway?

Far better that they negotiate election terms with the next cabinet once installed by the senate, rather than one that is all but a spent force.

• Like 2

So, I can expect to see Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong on television tonight or tomorrow morning latest to denounce this obvious bias and feet dragging of the E.C.?

• Like 2

All part of the game! CC wipes out YL and cabinet then the Election Commission will claim it can't a submit the Royal Decree thus handing <deleted> Suthep his plate of cookies...

Lets hope you are right and the EC show sense finally.

• Like 2

Dear Democrat MPs, look, once the EC submits that decree, and it gets approved, then they have 20 days to start the registration process.

Once they start the registration, it has to last a minimum of 7 days. To apply to be elected, you need to switch to a new party 30 days ahead of the registration. So literally, if there is 4 extra days delay then you can do that now.

Abhisit is finished, it should also be clear to you that he is not going to stand down from the Democrats, and he is not going stand at elections either. He's going to stall, because that's what Abhisit does, stall, delay, fail to make a decision. You have to switch to another party now!

Tomorrow Yingluk will be cleared of the Thawil case (as if a court would remove the government for moving a single civil servant!), and these images should make you realize her status:

attachicon.gif1399336931-1336225973-o.jpg

attachicon.gif1399336943-1367552659-o.jpg

You will not get a coup, not a military coup, not a civil coup, not a coup period. You get elections. You get democracy.

So get your collective crap together and get into a party that is standing and win those votes at election time. DO IT NOW! Because democracy requires a good opposition party, it doesn't require that opposition party be called the Democrats, or be run by an unelectable idiot. Korn, you too, get you ass into another party.

Hmmm. And will you acknowledge the error of your analysis when you are proved wrong, as you will be. I know what you are full off. You will shortly.

Dear Democrat MPs, look, once the EC submits that decree, and it gets approved, then they have 20 days to start the registration process.

Once they start the registration, it has to last a minimum of 7 days. To apply to be elected, you need to switch to a new party 30 days ahead of the registration. So literally, if there is 4 extra days delay then you can do that now.

Abhisit is finished, it should also be clear to you that he is not going to stand down from the Democrats, and he is not going stand at elections either. He's going to stall, because that's what Abhisit does, stall, delay, fail to make a decision. You have to switch to another party now!

Tomorrow Yingluk will be cleared of the Thawil case (as if a court would remove the government for moving a single civil servant!), and these images should make you realize her status:

You will not get a coup, not a military coup, not a civil coup, not a coup period. You get elections. You get democracy.

So get your collective crap together and get into a party that is standing and win those votes at election time. DO IT NOW! Because democracy requires a good opposition party, it doesn't require that opposition party be called the Democrats, or be run by an unelectable idiot. Korn, you too, get you ass into another party.

If the court clears Yingluck, than you still have the NACC and the Suthep not blocking the election. So I wouldn't be too sure.....

EC will want to get an opinion on its legal position from CC - as with all controversial matters

So what is left. The EC, the CC and the Senate.

is that about all that is left from a constitutional perspective?

That depends on what the CC rule tomorrow

Still 3 possibilities

But this is Thailand so I don't rule out a forth

There is still the public service which has been running the place and in a care taker mode only needs overview

If UDD cause too many problems then EC will have an excuse not to run elections

The EC must have read Yingluck's testimony today. ( Yes, it was really that bad ). For those who expect Yingluck to be acquitted tomorrow for committing an unconstitutional act - on the basis of photographs that emphasize that she looks good in a uniform ( outside apparently of the ability to think and talk out of one ), and who also boldly predicts that all Democratic party MPs will abandon the Democratic party en masse in the next four days - should have testified instead of Yingluck. For once, she has competition for the funniest testimony.

• Like 2

I don't think YL will be convicted tomorrow either. The CC would not dare, even if guilty. The Red Shirts will cry foul and step things up quite a lot.

The NACC will not find her guilty either.

This is not to stay that she is not guilty. I just find it hard to believe that she will be allowed fall and the country will be plunged into deeper chaos.

• Like 1

There probably are some legal technicalities to iron out because the constitution only provides for a royal decree that dissolves parliament and sets a new election date. It doesn't provide for a royal decree to set an election date once parliament has already been dissolved.

Apart from that the EC may wish to avoid facilitating a situation where Yingluck tries to get HMK to sign a royal decree after she has been removed from office by the Constitutional Court but has refused to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

I don't think YL will be convicted tomorrow either. The CC would not dare, even if guilty. The Red Shirts will cry foul and step things up quite a lot.

This is not to stay that she is not guilty. I just find it hard to believe that she will be allowed fall and the country will be plunged into deeper chaos.

So your saying judgements are not based on the rule of law anymore, but are made on the amount of intimidation directed at the ones giving the judgement?

If the country does not fall into chaos then the courts would make a correct judgement based on the rule of law?

Edited by djjamie

Yingluck has fallen already.

The EC not sending the draft is an interesting tell. My guess is that the court decided to delay releasing their verdict in order to give some interested parties (such as the EC and others) a little time to prepare.

Abhisit is finished, it should also be clear to you that he is not going to stand down from the Democrats, and he is not going stand at elections either. He's going to dither, because that's what Abhisit does. You have to switch to another party now!

"You get elections. You get democracy."

Sorry bluenose I gotto pull you up on this one.

Elections is 1/15th democracy. It is NOT democracy. Elections allow you to practice the other 14 principles and by golly gee when you tell Phuket residents they will get a conference hall when they vote PT that my dear friend is not democracy.

Part of democracy is referendums too, but the PTP don't want that one either because it will prove people want reform before elections. That majority has to be silenced at all costs.

Tomorrow Yingluk will be cleared of the Thawil case

Good to see you have replaced Fryslan Boppe as the resident time traveller and can tell us (us being me!) what the courts will do.

PLEASE tell me who wins the next Melbourne Cup? Or can you only predict Thai politics?

He has also replaced him as the new 'joker in the pack'.

It would be highly questionable to Asean and to democracies globally to remove both the PM and the Cabinet for the ostensible rationale the PM transferred one civil servant. Or to remove either.

Those who would dismiss this point would be dangerously out of contact with the reality in foreign capitals, in the capitals of Asean, and in the fields and communities of Thailand.

People who advocate this preposterous case and that believe this would happen believe in the rule of mice over men and would invite disaster.

I hope the judges have a better intellect and sense than do many others who would accept such an assinine and absurd justification in a constitutional matter. One would hope the judges have more brains than most people posting here.

If not, I'd think they'd be mandating catastrophe.

From a pragmatic standpoint, convicting the government in the rice scheme makes much better sense and is comprehensible, even if bogus all the same. (I don't have rice on the brain so spare me your replies about that matter.)

• Like 2

Don't you worry about the red shirts, the anti-gov side and the army are well prepared for anything coming from that rabble.

You seem to think there are millions of red shirt activists.... No way, maybe 200 to 300 at best and they will be crushed within days if they even as much as attempt any violent backlash against the courts.

The UDD will not call an uprising either, that is all just bluff and bluster, they know they will all be rounded up and this time they will be lucky if they ever see freedom ever again.

• Like 1

Don't you worry about the red shirts, the anti-gov side and the army are well prepared for anything coming from that rabble.

You seem to think there are millions of red shirt activists.... No way, maybe 200 to 300 at best and they will be crushed within days if they even as much as attempt any violent backlash against the courts.

The UDD will not call an uprising either, that is all just bluff and bluster, they know they will all be rounded up and this time they will be lucky if they ever see freedom ever again.

It lacks sophistication as spin, but is nevertheless a cracking good bit of old fashioned propaganda. Well done!