Looking for an apartment in BKK near Chula

I'm looking for an apartment in Bangkok which is within walking distance of Chulalongkorn University (And either the BTS or MRT stations nearby).

I'm reasonably open minded as far as the price is concerned, so long as the location is good and the price is in line with the facilities/size of the apartment.

My wife and I will be checking both the English and Thai sites online, but I'm hoping that if we're able to use TV to contact an owner directly, that we can get a better deal (Since an agency won't be clipping the ticket). Also based on what I've seen from some Thai landlords, I think that a western landlord would be preferred anyway.

I'll only be looking to pay market rates, the landlord part is simply a bonus. Since I know there a good/bad landlords, regardless of their race, however some of my friends have had Thai landlords who were simply terrible.

e.g. One accepted the deposit and then when my mate moved in, said that he could only use 1 of the 2 bedrooms because they were locking away all of the furnishings in the other (No mention of this prior to the deposit, no refund of the deposit) and another would come to stay at the house on weekends (without asking) if my mate went out of town. Also the same landlord which would go through his house on the weekends, also stole his dog without telling him because "You often go away on the weekends, and so your dog gets lonely" (He wasn't the best dog owner, but he had arranged for neighbours to feed his dog over the weekend).

Another one would come and visit my mother in law's shop to remind her that my mate hadn't paid his rent, even if it was only 2-3 days into the month, wouldn't call him (he can speak excellent Thai), would just nag at other people. Even the current landlord for that same mate, will call my wife when my mate is late with paying his rent (he went away over the summer), but won't call my mate, both landlords had his number, they just wouldn't actually tell him that he was overdue.

Another landlord which I had personally in an apartment complex, the reception staff wouldn't return my deposit because the boss needed to approve it and I was moving out on the weekend (and the boss only works Mon-Fri). When I sent a Thai friend to collect the deposit on my behalf, they said I had to come in person, even though I was talking on the phone to the manager and told him that I authorised my friend to collect my deposit and that I now lived in another province and was working Mon - Fri (And he wasn't available on Sat/Sun). Nothing wrong with giving back my deposit, just he felt he needed to give it to me in person or something, was really weird, took 3 months for me to get back my deposit back as I had to wait for my school's mid term break.

For myself I've only had 2x landlords in Thailand, the apartment complex which I described above, and another one which I lived in temporarily (6 months) while my house was being built. The 1st was great, other than when I wanted to get back my deposit, and the second was great although it wasn't until we moved in, that we found out that she was on charging the electricity at 3x what it should be each month (Normal for BKK apartments, but not normal for this area) and that the septic tank had to be drained every 2 weeks (She did often pay for this herself, but it was still pretty annoying). So both really nice people etc, but with a twist.

• 2 months later...

I have my own condo -new one in pakkred nonthaburi. Take for 10 mins to Bkk.

All new -10th floor , 50 sq.meter, nice view , 2 bed rooms , 1 toilet room, 1 sitting and kitchen room, 2 air conditioners, tv, microwave, refrigerator , sofa bed, wardrobe , personal car parking, CCTV , security card, guard, free nice fitness room , Yagushi , sauna room, kids room, garden , personal mail box.

Nearby shopping mall (Central , the mall, lotus, big c ) convenient stores, restaurants, 7-11, cafés shop, hospital. If you interested please feel free to contact me via 66850674575 or Skype apinya1471 or PM
Warm welcome
We can talk and if you want to see the real room please let me know.

Edited by astral
Removal of e-mail addr as per forum rules
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have my own condo -new one in pakkred nonthaburi. Take for 10 mins to Bkk.

All new -10th floor , 50 sq.meter, nice view , 2 bed rooms , 1 toilet room, 1 sitting and kitchen room, 2 air conditioners, tv, microwave, refrigerator , sofa bed, wardrobe , personal car parking, CCTV , security card, guard, free nice fitness room , Yagushi , sauna room, kids room, garden , personal mail box.

Nearby shopping mall (Central , the mall, lotus, big c ) convenient stores, restaurants, 7-11, cafés shop, hospital. If you interested please feel free to contact me via 66850674575 or Skype apinya1471 or PM

Warm welcome

We can talk and if you want to see the real room please let me know.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic...

But, I would be interested to know how you get from Pakkred to Bkk in 10 minutes.

Something like the classic StarTrek Transporter? Beam me up, Scottie?

• 2 months later...

I'll only be looking to pay market rates, the landlord part is simply a bonus. Since I know there a good/bad landlords, regardless of their race, however some of my friends have had Thai landlords who were simply terrible.

e.g. One accepted the deposit and then when my mate moved in, said that he could only use 1 of the 2 bedrooms because they were locking away all of the furnishings in the other (No mention of this prior to the deposit, no refund of the deposit) and another would come to stay at the house on weekends (without asking) if my mate went out of town. Also the same landlord which would go through his house on the weekends, also stole his dog without telling him because "You often go away on the weekends, and so your dog gets lonely" (He wasn't the best dog owner, but he had arranged for neighbours to feed his dog over the weekend).

Another one would come and visit my mother in law's shop to remind her that my mate hadn't paid his rent, even if it was only 2-3 days into the month, wouldn't call him (he can speak excellent Thai), would just nag at other people. Even the current landlord for that same mate, will call my wife when my mate is late with paying his rent (he went away over the summer), but won't call my mate, both landlords had his number, they just wouldn't actually tell him that he was overdue.

Another landlord which I had personally in an apartment complex, the reception staff wouldn't return my deposit because the boss needed to approve it and I was moving out on the weekend (and the boss only works Mon-Fri). When I sent a Thai friend to collect the deposit on my behalf, they said I had to come in person, even though I was talking on the phone to the manager and told him that I authorised my friend to collect my deposit and that I now lived in another province and was working Mon - Fri (And he wasn't available on Sat/Sun). Nothing wrong with giving back my deposit, just he felt he needed to give it to me in person or something, was really weird, took 3 months for me to get back my deposit back as I had to wait for my school's mid term break.

For myself I've only had 2x landlords in Thailand, the apartment complex which I described above, and another one which I lived in temporarily (6 months) while my house was being built. The 1st was great, other than when I wanted to get back my deposit, and the second was great although it wasn't until we moved in, that we found out that she was on charging the electricity at 3x what it should be each month (Normal for BKK apartments, but not normal for this area) and that the septic tank had to be drained every 2 weeks (She did often pay for this herself, but it was still pretty annoying). So both really nice people etc, but with a twist.

Hey Sly! the language expert from my other threads. What did you end up doing here?

Also, isn't it kind of your mates fault for not paying on time seems your wife or her mother vouched for him in some way.

My wife and I searched online and both came up with a few potentials around Lumpini Park. We then went to check out those potentials and on the way stopped in at other apartment buildings to enquire about price.

We found that most were really expensive, although found a studio which wasnt too expensive (About 10k) but had no carpark so my wife wasn't keen (and no additional facilities either but we weren't too worried about them).

In the end we settled for a studio apt with a pool/gym/view/carpark right next to the MRT for 15k, which is expensive compared to what we're used to, but seemed like a decent deal for this area. A 1 bedroom would have been better, but the one they had available was a big jump in price.