High-rise buildings in Bangkok advised to check structures: Chiang Rai earthquake

High-rise buildings in Bangkok advised to check structures

IMGP5525-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- High-rise buildings in Bangkok constructed before 2007 are advised to have their structures inspected after Monday's 6.3 magnitude earthquake in Chiang Rai were also felt in Bangkok.

Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) president Suchatchawi Suwansawat’s advice came as that the epicentre of Monday’s earthquake in Chiang Rai was only seven kilometres deep and was practically the most severe tremor that has ever occurred in Thailand.

He called on state agencies and people in Phayao, Chiang Rai and Lampang – provinces located along the fault line responsible for the recent quake – to closely monitor the situation until the end of Wednesday.

With thunderstorms being rampant during this period, he also urged for structures situated on the hills to be checked and vigilance be exercised against landslides, in areas within a 50 kilometre radius of the epicentre in Phan district.

Regarding high-rise buildings in Bangkok, he said there were no worries over the buildings constructed after 2007, as they were designed to withstand 7.0 magnitude earthquakes.

However, earlier buildings that had 7 to 10 stories should have their structures inspected.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/high-rise-buildings-bangkok-advised-check-structures/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-05-07

Thai building owners, engineering and construction companies will all be out diligently checking and maintaining building infrastructure. You will see them. Thais are very conscientious and diligent especially when it comes to safety.

It'll only be some small cracks, mai pen rai.

My condo already has lots of small cracks, most of which have appeared since I moved in. I just assumed it was the building settling.

What time was this great Chiang Rai earthquake? I do not remember feeling anything unusual.

• Like 1

If an earthquake occurred closer to Bangkok, shouldn't we be worried more about the ground itself? Bangkok is built on a flood plain right? Doesn't that mean the ground is quite soft (its layers of silt rather than ground on top of rock)? If a strong earthquake happened quite close, I would expect that the ground itself would go into one of those "liquified" states from all the shaking and we'd all be in quite a lot of trouble no matter when our building was built. Maybe I am out to lunch, but I think there would be quite a different result if a strong earthquake occurred nearby.

If an earthquake occurred closer to Bangkok, shouldn't we be worried more about the ground itself? Bangkok is built on a flood plain right? Doesn't that mean the ground is quite soft (its layers of silt rather than ground on top of rock)? If a strong earthquake happened quite close, I would expect that the ground itself would go into one of those "liquified" states from all the shaking and we'd all be in quite a lot of trouble no matter when our building was built. Maybe I am out to lunch, but I think there would be quite a different result if a strong earthquake occurred nearby.

You are not out to lunch. What you are talking about is called liquefaction specifically.

Thai building owners, engineering and construction companies will all be out diligently checking and maintaining building infrastructure. You will see them. Thais are very conscientious and diligent especially when it comes to safety.

Especially the road crew guys who have now left six electrical wires in the street now for three days. I had to watch a girl go in front of me to see she didn't get electrocuted before I drove over them. Engineering and inspection at its finest in Thailand.

Seismologist and AIT’s Coordinator of Structural Engineering Field of Study, Dr. Pennung Warnitchai, has cautioned against the possibility of an earthquake along the Srisawat faultline in Kanchanaburi province in Thailand.

Dr. Pennung said there is a “slight chance” that a massive earthquake along the Srisawat faultline would cause severe damage in Kanchanaburi itself, as well as in nearby provinces

Elaborating further, Dr. Pennung stated that if such a tragedy ever happens in Kanchanaburi, “Bangkok will definitely be impacted, as the quake's low-frequency wave and its intensity will be significantly aggravated by the capital's soft soil layers.” High-rise buildings in Bangkok will be prone to shaking and possible damage, he added.

http://www.ait.ac.th/news-and-events/2011/news/ait2019s-expert-speaks-on-possible-earthquake-incidence-in-thailand#.U2npivmSyC8

Yeah, thanks rucus7 and rheinwiese. It seems to me that the "soft soil layers" moving around will do a lot more damage than just shaking buildings. How can a building stand if the ground beneath it is sliding away? Maybe (hopefully) the shaking from this type of secondary quake won't be severe enough to trigger any liquefaction. But the example of the Kobe earthquake in that article does make it a bit scary.

so what happens to your 10 million condo, if the structure is damaged by an earthquake and you cannot enter it anymore ?

a 100% loss for you ?

a question for the lawyers ?

is there even earthquake damage in insurance papers ?

• Like 1

Good points my friend. I wonder if there are any bonifide engineers out in TVF Land that could share their thoughts on this topic.

so what happens to your 10 million condo, if the structure is damaged by an earthquake and you cannot enter it anymore ?

a 100% loss for you ?

a question for the lawyers ?

is there even earthquake damage in insurance papers ?

That leads to the old adage for every expat in Thailand: don't buy, rent.

As for the inspections. What will happen if the inspectors find severe problems. Will they A) immediately bring in repair crews to restore and retrofit, no matter the cost or B ) will they cover it up? I'll betcha we all know the answer, don't we?

Edited by zydeco