Banglamung License Bureau: New inspection rules for motos 5+ years old

LukDod

For the last 10-years, whenever I took my 5+y/o moto or motorcycles
in for a registration renewal, the inspection station only copied the bike's
frame number. No other checks were performed.

Last Tuesday (May-6) I had my moto's registration renewed. The inspection
was simply as in past years...they only copied the frame number before
processing the bike.

TODAY...(May-8)I went to renew registration on my 250cc dirt bike. As usual they
copied the frame number, then they moved the bike to an area which had all
of the older motos & notorcycles. Here they checked if the following items
were working properly: head & tail lights, turn indicators, horn, briefly inspected the
tires for wear, checked the emissions, then drove the bike a (very) short distance
to verify the engine and brakes worked. At least one moto was failed and was loaded
on a pick-up truck, as the moto's headlight was inoperative; and another for a
burnt out tail light. {hurray!)

While the same inspections rules apply to both older cars (7+ yrs) and bikes (5+yrs),

they have never previously applied them to bikes...until today.
I can only hope that license inspections will actually begin enforcing the rules
for motos and bikes. It will make the roads slightly safer for us road warriors.

After all how many times have you encountered bikes lacking head or tail lights,
especially at night?? Forget about working turn indicators; most drivers either
forget to turn them off or just don't know how to use them.

Edited by LukDod
  • Like 1

Interesting as I had to take ours on the 24th April and all those checks were done then - the driving bit was only to move it from where the emissions test happened about 20 meters to where they parked all the bikes they had done.

When the gf rang up before I took it she was told they would only check the frame number. Good job I had it serviced anyhow as the speedo and odometer have not been working..........smile.png

Last August I was surprised that the testing center on Sukhumvit just after Theprasit but before Big C

tested the emisions from my ( 18 year old ) 2 stroke motor bike, they also tested lights and horn but it passed.

Before then it had just been a rubbing of chassis and engine number so it does seem they are having a bit of a crackdown.

On Bikes five yrs. And older they suppose to check everything. Here in Korat they have a private company that is owned by and employee of the land transport office and they do a good job of checking. My bike is eleven yrs. old and still no problems.\

I have 2 bikes which turned 5 in 2012, and have had the inspections done every year since then. It's nothing new.

I have my registration and insurance done at an inspection centre on Sukhumvit, so it's super easy.

Edited by tropo

Last July they checked to make sure everything worked, checked both engine number and frame number to record that they matched, very thorough. Glad to see them checking these bikes.

I have 2 bikes which turned 5 in 2012, and have had the inspections done every year since then. It's nothing new.

I have my registration and insurance done at an inspection centre on Sukhumvit, so it's super easy.

tropo where abouts on suk and how much extra (if any) do you pay compared to going to the DLT - which was only 60 baht for the test and 520 baht for all (test, tax and compulsory ins.) but only a 114cc bike?

Hi. Agree that looks like nothing new. I take my bike last year on the control station on Sukhumvit and they checked for all that already: lights (road, stop, turn), brakes, tires, noise, gaz emission,... In fact they have a computer with forms to fill and when everything is finish they print a "control report" - including picture of the bike - and the doc you need for yearly taxes and that must be signed and paid inside. Price: 60 baht. Time: 5-10 minutes.

tropo where abouts on suk and how much extra (if any) do you pay compared to going to the DLT - which was only 60 baht for the test and 520 baht for all (test, tax and compulsory ins.) but only a 114cc bike?

I get 2 bikes registered there per year. 600 baht all inclusive (rego, insurance, check). If you turn left onto Sukhumvit from Theprassit Road, it's about half way to Pattaya Klang, on the left, near McDonald's. I can't give you a soi number, sorry.

I get 2 bikes registered there per year. 600 baht all inclusive (rego, insurance, check). If you turn left onto Sukhumvit from Theprassit Road, it's about half way to Pattaya Klang, on the left, near McDonald's. I can't give you a soi number, sorry.

No problem. Thanks.