Motorbikes

Fabulousheart

I have seen many times about the scams on motorbike rentals. I do not want to drive a bike in crazy pattaya traffic but what about if I paid my Thai friend to rent a bike? Can he rent for one month only? What would be reasonable price?

Also separate alternative if I wanted to hire a motorbike driver how would I go about that for one month only and how much would that cost?

I am staying in view Talay 2 jomtien. I know there are the bikes on the road but would like to find a safe convenient alternative.

Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hire a car - far safer

Safer but so slooooooow stuck in traffic for hours on end then even more hasle trying to find a parking spot. bah.gif

A friend of mine has the phone number of a motorcycle taxi he uses regularly, just phones up and says come and pick me up

from such and such take me here there wherever.

I'm sure a Thai could rent a bike for a month seen adverts for as low as 2000 baht per month but they may be for 6-12 months rental

bike condition ??? don't know as I've not rented them.

Does your friend have a driving licence ?? the police like to stop,check bikes added bonus if its carrying an "alien"

The baht bus are hit or miss in the seance of safety. I have been on the rides from hell with some drivers going so fast and slamming on brakes. There are many other posts on violence on busses. I do take them but in the day.

Cars.are useless during high traffic times. It can take over an hour to get from jomtien to walking street in a car whereas I can be there in 15 minutes on a bike.

Any solutions for having Thai rent a bike? Where to go? Costs for one month only?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

A Thai or falang can rent a bike at any of the ubiquitous spots, cheap B2000 + up.

Nice Nouvo ~ 3000/mo.

Motocy taxi guys are everywhere too.

They have cell phones if you find one you like that speaks English..

It is low season now.

Edited by papa al

If you decide to rent a scooter in Pattaya, I suggest you rent from Mark and Kessaya, I think it is against forum rules to post their e-mail address phone number and website, but if you enter 'kessaya motorbike pattaya' into google you will find the website with all details.

Once you have rented the bike, it does not matter if you or your Thai friend ride it.

cheers

Edited by jay1980

Yes there are no need for a proxy you can do it yourself, check classified, there are some adds for long term rental scooters.

Basically the better/newer scooter the higher the rent.

Buy a big wire lock and lock the scooter up if parking downtown and you leave it out of sight, I always do that on my PCX.

Also consider how safe the parking is where you live, if in doubt lock it up there as well.

When I rent a pcx on Phuket, I refuse to give them my passport, they can have a copy and that's it.

Check the rental contract for what you pay if the bike is lost, I had that changed sometimes as well, I not gonna give them money worth for a new scooter if it is 2-3 years old in case of theft.

Just make sure you have good insurance. I'd hate to think of all the people I know who've ended up in the hospital. Some with bills upwards of 1MM Baht.

I'll stick with my car. It may take longer, but I'll get there in comfort and be clean and dry upon arrival. Plenty of places to park if you know where to look. And no police hassling you.

If you can find one, hire a Tardis.

Not only can you get from one place to another hassle free (apart from the odd Darlek, but lets face it, Pattaya is Darlek central) but you can go back or forward in time too !

Nice one.

post-8817-0-56362100-1399727290_thumb.jp

Edited by soihok

Maybe this i worth a separate thread but if I were to take up

motorbiking again I would seriously consider the new Tricity scooters from Yamaha. They basically have two wheels in the front

and are a LOT more stable.

I heard they were just introduced to Pattaya and go for around 70,000 B

Google em! Ah, they are already being discussed in the motorbike forum.

Edited by BugJackBaron

Make sure you get International drivers license, avoid the Tea money problem at checkpoints

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Proper paperwork can make a huge difference....and sometimes not. A friend got pulled over a few months ago for having the passenger foot pegs down while driving!

Another friend has gotten around all of this BS by riding an electric bike. No license required, I guess. He goes all over town. Says he's never been pulled over.

• Like 1