Thailand's northern region still safe for quake-proof structures

Northern region still safe for quake-proof structures
Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation
Chiang Rai

BANGKOK: -- DESPITE some seismic threats, the whole of the North remains safe for housing and business but only on condition that all structures are made quake-proof, experts said yesterday.

The experts emphasised the need for architectural buildings in the North to undergo renovation for quakeproof features in the wake of the 6.3-magnitude trembler that rattled several provinces on Monday evening.

Experts also found that the damage was much less than in other countries shaken by a similar shock, according to the preliminary results of an inspection conducted by the Engineering Institute of Thailand.

A team from the institute visited tambon Sai Khao in Chiang Rai's Phan district, the epicentre, from Wednesday to yesterday, and found that many damaged buildings could be repaired.

However, some such as Phanpittayakhom School's main building, had almost caved in as its framework had come apart.

"The damaged main building of Phanpittayakhom School must be reconstructed as it would be dangerous for everyone," said Assoc Professor Penneung Warnitchai, an earthquake expert at the Asian Institute of Technology.

The massive quake was the biggest recorded in Thailand.

According to the Internal Security Operations Command's provincial branch, the disaster has affected 54,542 people, ruined 12 houses and partially damaged 8,371 others in Chiang Rai.

Up to 63 temples, 31 government offices, four bridges, five roads, one community building, one hotel, two electricity systems and a waterworks system had suffered damage.

Penneung said that if damage was found in the main structures of buildings such as columns, the buildings must be demolished and rebuilt. If damage or cracks were found on the walls of buildings, the buildings could be repaired.

People should ask engineers or experts to check their house before repairing it.

Even though tambon Sai Khao was located right above the strong quake, the damage to buildings could be blamed on several factors, such as improper construction techniques.

For an expert like Penneung, this occurrence has provided a lot of useful information for designing buildings that can resist the quakes.

Thonglek Khamma, 67, a villager from Ban Hauy San Yao in Chiang Rai's Mae Lao subdistrict, has to live outside his house with his wife.

He cannot stay or even sleep inside his home because the walls had cracked and large pieces had fallen down. More than that, he was worried about aftershocks.

Even though he wants to rebuild his house, he does not have enough money.

"I only get Bt1,100 from the monthly allowance for the elderly and disabled people. Can you tell me how I can fix my house, which looks like a small cottage?" he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-09

Ask the people of Japan and California if there is any such thing as a "quake proof structure."

BUT these are Thai quake proof structures built to exacting standards and using the best of materials possible whilst squeezing the very last of profit / corruption out of the contract.

• Like 1

Is there a building code in place to cover this , just how many earthquake building have been built and how many that are supposed to be EQ proof built ,but have not been built that way, because of corruption and cheap short cuts. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

"Is there a building code in place to cover this , just how many earthquake building have been built and how many that are supposed to be EQ proof built ,but have not been built that way, because of corruption and cheap short cuts. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif"

You don't start the construction of quake-proof structures with bamboo scaffolding and "special deal I got on concrete from wife's 3rd cousin". cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by jaltsc

Quick question for anyone out there, these average bungalows that you see on any moo ban anywhere in Thailand, at a rough guess what magnitude of quake would you expect them to withstand?

On the 'Ring puckering scale' they'll easily withstand a 'did you feel something?' quake. Minor repointing and replacing of tiles will be needed after a 'What the h*ll was that!?' quake. After a 'Jeesus Christ get the f*** out' quake you'll regret not having building insurance and living less than 1000kms from an active faultline

Thanks Edwin, and in words I can clearly understand. Nice job!

• Like 1

I live in one of those moo baans and houses are commonly cracking without any earthquakes......just normal. Moo Baan staff think it is all a joke and spend all day fixing them. The fix involves a bit of filler and a repaint job, now earthquake-proof again.

This has been built by a large and well-known company building Housing Estates and Condos in Chiang Mai.

Have you ever seen them mixing concrete for these buildings ? .........a real eye-opener if you are aware of building construction standards in the West!!!!!!!

"Is there a building code in place to cover this , just how many earthquake building have been built and how many that are supposed to be EQ proof built ,but have not been built that way, because of corruption and cheap short cuts. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif"

You don't start the construction of quake-proof structures with bamboo scaffolding and "special deal I got on concrete from wife's 3rd cousin". cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Actually bamboo scaffolding, given its flexibility, may be better than standard scaffolding in building in a quake zone.

That part of Thailand is a known quake area and therefore structures should have been built to certain standards for years but of course we know this wouldn't happen here and no doubt repairs will be made with a bit of cement, sandpaper and paint.

• Like 1

I live in one of those moo baans and houses are commonly cracking without any earthquakes......just normal. Moo Baan staff think it is all a joke and spend all day fixing them. The fix involves a bit of filler and a repaint job, now earthquake-proof again.

This has been built by a large and well-known company building Housing Estates and Condos in Chiang Mai.

Have you ever seen them mixing concrete for these buildings ? .........a real eye-opener if you are aware of building construction standards in the West!!!!!!!

Yes I have seen them mix the crete, drive the piles into a slush of clay and sand, tie the re-bar and lay the brick. Yeah, it's all at bit scary. There ain't no bedrock in Bangkok and if a quake the size of the Chaing Rai's ever hits here... Well, pray your no higher than the second floor and wave to your neighbor in the shower when when your interior walls collapse.

Actually bamboo scaffolding, given its flexibility, may be better than standard scaffolding in building in a quake zone.

That part of Thailand is a known quake area and therefore structures should have been built to certain standards for years but of course we know this wouldn't happen here and no doubt repairs will be made with a bit of cement, sandpaper and paint.

I like the bamboo scaffolding.. I'm in Hawaii where we can't use red bricks for walls anymore, but cinder blocks, large light colored blocks are okay..but reinforced with rebar! Mortar is great.. but no more unreinforced masonry might save some lives. I managed a 6.7 with no problems.. (normal wood framing).. my friends with stucco and concrete had some work to do!

Alohz..

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a large-size professional scaffolding company, Tianjin Wellmade Scaffold Co., Ltd. is dedicated to design, manufacture and supply of formwork and scaffolding systems for industrial & civil engineering, bridge & road, hydropower station dam projects, etc.

We have first-rate, advantage auto-machinery production lines of scaffolding system and large scale steel structure plants, which mean our production capacity is tremendous.

WM Scaffold is one of the earliest scaffolding and formwork factory, which are well equipped with experts in formwork & scaffolding. In the long-time business practice, we have participated in the design, manufacture and supply of the formwork and scaffolding systems for many large projects, and therefore we have accumulated abundant experience in the formwork and scaffolding systems

We can always provide excellent after-sales services. In the past years of operation, we have established good relationships with many famous contractors at home and abroad. WM Scaffold is highly praised by the customers and has founded a branch company in Nanjing, China and quite a few branch offices overseas as well.

Perfect quality is our perpetual pursuit. We will continue to offer more advanced technology, better products and services to all our customers.

Wellmade Scaffold

Info at wm-scaffold dot com