Homophobic Russian demand to edit out Austrian drag queen Eurovision performer rejected

Considering what the OP wrote about, isn't more about Government Censorship,

the Government controlling what we see and read rather then a uniquely 'Gay' subject.

I certainly acknowledge that, the most likely reason for the censorship/editing was directly

linked the issues around Russia and homosexuality.

Compare say, China and their government censorship compared to that of Russia's.

Neither of them being desirable.

So, if there is angst against Russia, shouldn't it be because their government censor things,

rather then they censor 'Gay' things?

I'm just trying to step back and see the larger viewpoint.

We'd all love to be able to disassociate ourselves sufficiently to 'see the wider viewpoint' but this is the gay forum and most of us have been subject to discrimination to a greater or lesser extent so you'll have to excuse us if we seem to be rather narrow minded.

• Like 1

I think Donnie Brasco has a fair, and very common, point of view. Most people couldn't give a damn about us one way or the other.... unless of course we thrust our homosexuality in their faces. But this is the gay forum, and we tend to look inward on it, as why shouldn't we?

Etymology.... well, homosexuality is a bit of a bastard word anyway. The first part is Greek, the second Latin. Homophobia actually puts two Greek bits together, but leaves out the vital meaning of sexuality.

Maybe Homo sapiens really means "The gay man is wise!"clap2.gif

• Like 1

This feud must stop. When Putin cuts of supplies of oil to Europe, there'll be a shortage of lubricants and all the gays will be sore then.

Russia delivers gas to Europe, not oil, and your unrelated reference to personal lubricants is not appreciated.

But only to be expected. Perhaps Joetheposter is worried there'll be no knuckle lubricant available for him.

Gotta admit I was worried. But, that was only for a few minutes, not for a whole week.

• Like 2

So the "homo" in Pontius Pilate's "ecce homo" means "behold the SAMENESS" and, well, "phobia" is actually HATRED rather than fear.

So not only are we gonna *gas* Latin

as some kind of starting point for the Farangaldangle language, we are gonna re-connote fear to mean hatred.

Hmmm

Well, thanks chaps but it seems I AM getting a usage or a "because that's what and how we say it" argument.

All in the cause of cranking out a neologism. (About 35 years of this, right ?)

As well (in this fabulously arrogant abrogation exercise ;-) I am getting "told" that sameness and hatred can be combined, as long as the resulting neologism can be flung about as an accusation.

Much like "objectification of women" I am profoundly suspicious of this arbitrarily, faux-ish, Carl Rove-ish use of language.

Like I said in a post that was so generously deleted up there, this word "homophobe" is a nonsense word; a straw man, an easily assailed trope that characterizes the point of view of an ignorant few and turns it into huge thing.

Indifference is not hatred.

"Homo" is ambiguous at best.

The word is poorly contrived.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's a politicization of sexuality.

Well. that.

Thanks for sharing your POV.

I hope you feel better for having the chance to express yourself.

Yeah, I have wandered into the gay forum, it seems.

And I didn't even notice.

And THAT will go much further to settle this hysterical non-syndrome than anything else.

I am truly heartened by the forbearance the mods here.

I just wanted y'all to understand that I relegate this type of language to the same holding pen as I relegate the notion of cures for homosexuality, Jamie Diamond walking the streets, the whole Libor scandals and other such politically contrived contortion.

The extent to which our thought processes are manipulated with symbols, language, and propagandics is LITERALLY mind boggling.

Clarification is a start.

A real start . . . . . . . as opposed to a heterophobic one. (See ? Heterophobic comes up and homophobic doesn't.)

Damn. Is my spellcheck racist, sexist, or, um, . . . . . . misandrist ?

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit. . . . "

The ACTUAL definition of homophobia goes a bit beyond the implied meaning of the two root words -- homo and phobia.

In addition to FEAR of homosexuals, the meaning ALSO includes HATRED of homosexuals.

Fear and hatred are not the same thing.

The word can be used to express only fear, only hatred, or both.

In my view, the most common use of the word is referring the the HATRED part of the meaning. [/quote

Well I don't fear them at all.

I just don't give a damn about them as a group one way or another. And it's a bit presumptuous to assume that those of us who really couldn't care less about them would hate them unless we get into assigning blame for not giving a sh!t about them.

I don't hate gays I just don't care about them or their issues.

I care about other stuff.

This preference while not sexual is definitely not hateful.

It's a preference I have to not particularly give a damn about them.

Indifference is not hate.

And neither do I fear them.

I just do not give a sh!t about them.

Now if a gay person feels that he'll just die if he doesn't have my attention I suppose we could water board that situation into a hateful scenario.

Nope. Not gettin' fear so much as indifference.

So what's this "homophobe" nonsense all about ?

It's a politicization of sexuality.

Well. that.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You're posting in the gay forum at the moment. If you don't give a shit about us why are you here? If you 'don't give a damn about them' don't let the door hit your arse on the way out. No-one forced you to post in here and we'd all be enormously grateful if you just farked off.

. . . . . . . and there you have it, chaps. A gayboard warrior in full battle dress.

16 May 2014 Last updated at 16:01

Prove you're not Conchita_73556281_bylinewhite.jpgBy BBC TrendingWhat's popular and why13:49 UK time, Friday, 16 May 2014

_74908756_conchitawurst.jpg

In Russia, some men have been shaving their beards and posting clean shaven images online in protest at this year's Eurovision winner.

Austria's entry, Conchita Wurst, won the competition last weekend with the song '

'.

It's sparked a huge reaction on Russian social media with thousands both condemning and supporting the singer.

Anne-Marie Tomchak of #BBCtrending reports.

Clearly the official line, and probably the overall majority of Russians, are homophobic....but there seems to be a good bit of support on the other side.

Viva Conchita!

The guy has Semitic features.

Could be he's bearding for religious reasons.

Just sayin'

Try homeophobic.

While "homeo"phobic doesn't pack nearly the same punch as "homo" phobic, its meaning is arguably closer to "sameness" and it avoids confusion (intended or otherwise).

Homeostasis. The tendency for a system to achieve stability at balance. (Just off the cuff, mind you.)

I hope this has helped.

(*burp*)

Why are the Russian people so violent against everyone who is not exactly like themselves?

Actualy i do believe that they have a right to vent their feeling. What i find silly i assume this singer is a guy that likes to dress up, a transvestitie, so he is a bloke, not homo

. . . . . . . and there you have it, chaps. A gayboard warrior in full battle dress.

No - just someone who occasionally gets a little tired of having to explain themselves, yet again, to another curious passer by. If you're interested in the origins of the word 'homophobia' wouldn't you be better asking on an etymological forum? Or you could even Google it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homophobia

BTW I don't wear dresses.

No - just someone who occasionally gets a little tired of having to explain themselves, yet again, to another curious passer by. If you're interested in the origins of the word 'homophobia' wouldn't you be better asking on an etymological forum? Or you could even Google it.

Naaaw

C'mon sustento, come on . . . . . Admit it.

You were having a go at posturing as a hard-ass.

Aaaaadmit it. Youuu'll feel better.

Would my choice of a conversation on this over yet another one-way splotch of diatribe not tell you that I was interested in a dialog that might further this conversation ?

I would no more ask you to explain yourself than I would respond to people back in the old country who sidle up to me at neighbourhood BBQ's and "ask" . . . . . "Yeah, Thailand. Well, that's just all whores and AIDS and pedophiles and dirty old men isn't it ?"

"Actually, no." I tell them. "It's more like I imagine gay cruising might be like . . . . . but only with, um, women."

"You and your lovely wife (and your late teens early twenties kids that hate you) have chosen to set up here. I chose something quite different. An environment steeped in Hindu-Khmer sensibilities which reveres what Christians revile and which for historical reasons steeps in a tradition of concubinage."

Hey man, when I'm in Thailand, I'm only half a planet away.

You might want to read up on a few things before you start crapping on people for their life-style choices.

Or not. . . . . . I don't really care.

So no, I don't need you to explain yourself sustento.

Naaaw

C'mon sustento, come on . . . . . Admit it.

You were having a go at posturing as a hard-ass.

Aaaaadmit it. Youuu'll feel better.

Would my choice of a conversation on this over yet another one-way splotch of diatribe not tell you that I was interested in a dialog that might further this conversation ?

I would no more ask you to explain yourself than I would respond to people back in the old country who sidle up to me at neighbourhood BBQ's and "ask" . . . . . "Yeah, Thailand. Well, that's just all whores and AIDS and pedophiles and dirty old men isn't it ?"

"Actually, no." I tell them. "It's more like I imagine gay cruising might be like . . . . . but only with, um, women."

"You and your lovely wife (and your late teens early twenties kids that hate you) have chosen to set up here. I chose something quite different. An environment steeped in Hindu-Khmer sensibilities which reveres what Christians revile and which for historical reasons steeps in a tradition of concubinage."

Hey man, when I'm in Thailand, I'm only half a planet away.

You might want to read up on a few things before you start crapping on people for their life-style choices.

Or not. . . . . . I don't really care.

So no, I don't need you to explain yourself sustento.

coffee1.gif

Try homeophobic.

While "homeo"phobic doesn't pack nearly the same punch as "homo" phobic, its meaning is arguably closer to "sameness" and it avoids confusion (intended or otherwise).

Homeostasis. The tendency for a system to achieve stability at balance. (Just off the cuff, mind you.)

I hope this has helped.

(*burp*)

Just as a matter of fact, if you really are confused about the etymology, and not just looking for a hook to hang insults on:

the "homo" in "ecce homo" is Latin, and means "man". You can tell it's Latin, because the word it is paired with, "ecce", is also Latin. "Homo" in Latin is a noun ( a word that is the name of something), a man.

the "homo" in "homosexual" derives from the greek word "homos". It means "same". It is an adjective (a word used to describe or qualify a noun), for example you could say "the same man".

It is not the same word as the Latin word, and has no connection with it, though coincidentally it sounds the same.

Words that sound the same as each other are called "homophones". This does not mean "man sounds" because the "homo " in "homophone" also comes from the greek "homo", not the latin "homo".

Hope that's clear!

• Like 2

The Greek homo rather than the Latin homo because Partington says so because he's shoredup his assertion with some stuff we all accept anyway hoping that his preference for Greek suffixes will stick to the wall in any and all cases

And then there's that "fear" thing that gots repackaged as "hate".

Homophobic is a <deleted>-up word that's elbowed its way into far too many conversations and taken up far too much time in public discourse. There are far and away scores more issues to bring up for discussion than this one.

What's Latin or Greek for "Yeah, ok. You like sex with men and boys. Who cares ?"

Many people care. We need a word for people who are hateful about their caring. Congrats on inserting a pederastic insinuation though. Full marks.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Why are the Russian people so violent against everyone who is not exactly like themselves?

Actualy i do believe that they have a right to vent their feeling. What i find silly i assume this singer is a guy that likes to dress up, a transvestitie, so he is a bloke, not homo

I read some background about Thomas Neuwirth, and it appears he is indeed a homo (= Homosexual man).

However, he likes to dress up as a woman for his performances, which makes him a transvestite. Transvestites are usually referred to in their feminine persona, in this case Conchita, and therefore "she".

Why would you think anybody has a right to vent negative feelings against either a homosexual man or a transvestite, I wonder. Please explain yourself.

I don't think there really is a dispute what the word homophobic means, even though Donnie wants us to think so. In any case, what we understand it means is a problem that needs to be dealt with, regardless of the word used.

People who are allergic to peanuts do not normally say peanuts are bad or abnormal: they recognise their allergy comes from inside themselves, and most people do not share it. It is a quality of their own bodies, not an attribute of peanuts.

People who do not like gays somehow fail to recognise that their antipathy comes from inside themselves, and so attribute bad qualities to gays, instead of to their own prejudices.

This is what homophobia is: blaming peanuts for your peanut allergy.

People who are allergic to peanuts do not normally say peanuts are bad or abnormal: they recognise their allergy comes from inside themselves, and most people do not share it. It is a quality of their own bodies, not an attribute of peanuts.

People who do not like gays somehow fail to recognise that their antipathy comes from inside themselves, and so attribute bad qualities to gays, instead of to their own prejudices.

Nice theory, but it does not work:

An allergy is a bodily reaction to chemicals (peanuts in your example).

An antipathy towards gays (nice wording!) is a mental and not a bodily reaction - if it is bodily, it is triggered by the mind. Wrong upbringing is the cause, very much unlike an allergy.

The antipathy can be cured with understanding, the allergy cannot.

An antipathy towards gays (nice wording!) is a mental and not a bodily reaction - if it is bodily, it is triggered by the mind. Wrong upbringing is the cause, very much unlike an allergy.

Yes. This was not a theory, but an analogy or metaphor. I was saying "this is what it is like" not "this is what it is"

Yes. This was not a theory, but an analogy or metaphor. I was saying "this is what it is like" not "this is what it is"

No, it's not "like that" at all. I should have said "your analogy or metaphor" does not work.