Another poll unlikely while political tension remains: EC

Lite Beer

I think a major stumbling block to the process is the fact that there is no legal Care Taker PM to sign the decree until the Senate elect one, not to mention that the majority of Thai people want reforms first

What the majority of Thais want is a speedy end to the orgy of death, injury, disruption and chaos which is driving away tourists, turning Bangkok into a no-go area and threatening to plunge the country into recession.

An early election is the best way to achieve all these objectives. If necessary, in order to ensure voters and candidates are not intimidated, this should be held under the supervision of the forces of law and order - whose profile has been far too low over the last eight months of chaos and strife.

While their methods may have been questionable, the motives of Suthep and his supporters in drawing attention to the need for political reforms are honourable enough. There is plenty of time between now and the proposed polling day of July 20 for all contesting parties to respond with any proposals to eliminate corruption, cronyism and nepotism.

Thailand's struggle towards becoming a truly democratic society is proving depressingly protracted and painful. Giving in to the demands of a privileged elite and installing an un-elected caretaker government of the supposedly great and good would be a retrograde step.

There is only one democratic to choose any government - and that is through the ballot box.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why doesn't the chairman of the EC just go to the anti government stage and hug Suthep. Amazing the chairman of the EC is doing everything possible to not have elections.

Not very smart of you! But maybe you think its ok to just keep wasting millions and millions of baht. If the courts already nullified the last elections because they were not held on the same day what makes you think it wont happen again!

Surely you know its not the ECs fault. They are ready to do their job. Or maybe you just like making everyone else take the blame the same a yourr typical PTP member

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Democracy is priceless. You do not put a price tag on it.

In Thailand, it actually does come with a price tag.

A general observation, not necessarily saying it is unique to one of the sides.

Another newbie pro government poster, will have to see who else has gone. strange.

I am a member and mainly a lurker since October 2006, I don't like to post often because the easy judging people writing here. Are you one of them?

You told me I am a pro government, but you went totally off target. I am just against lies and so I am totally against the so-called independent agencies of this country for a starter...

No I am not one of any of who you think.

Your line of thinking-re army.. Why in heavens name should we HAVE to have the army involved in polls, politics, disorder ??? So why didn't you speak on the lines---POLICES JOB. if so why didn't the government revise this franchise and make it control ALL the civilian problems---instead of hiding behind trees and stopping motorists for tea money ??

It was a coincidence that you posted when some posters have gone due to saving face. My post was in no way personal and I should not jump to conclusions, BUT again we do when we get denial gov posters posting on the one topic only. TVF posters normally post on a vast amount of different topics, but a minority dung stirrers are amongst us.

I get accused of being a yellow supporter because I highlight government wrongs --to me this is healthy.thumbsup.gif

No problem, as you admit you were wrong about me to be a newbie it's alright for me.

In my country, police and army are always involved for make sure polls will be held without problems.

I think for show a bit of neutrality as everyone says army is with protesters and police with the government, EC (and government) could have asked help to both forces, but nothing has been done, with (in my opinion) the clear intention by EC to not have elections, or as it happened having them so disrupted that had to been canceled.

We all know prevention is better than cure, problem PTP did nothing to prevent the situ that happened.

They were elected and messed up big time, re electing was never an answer UNTIL all who were guilty of violations were dealt with.

Prevent then from any future happenings ever taking place A complete reform has to take place.

Anyone in my view who says another election to take place now has not the country at heart.

Freedom of expression--freedom of media--end government propaganda.

Lets move on. One of Thailands biggest problems is the inactive police.

Perhaps political tensions would be reduced by actually getting free & fair elections completed without intimidation.

Rather than continue to delay have the balls to proceed.

Perhaps but not likely.....Different date......same outcome.....or worse.

Elections will not show "who really speaks with the voice of the people".

Regardless of which party wins, there is bound to be a sizable opposition, that while being a minority will still represent a lot of the "people". Would be better if introducing changes would be an inclusive process, involving all sides.

That goes both for the PTP's apparent concept and understanding of majority, and for the PDRC presumptions of speaking for Thai people.

• Like 1

" The EC and the government had earlier reached an agreement that an election should be held on July 20, with some conditions. But the election agency has had problems drafting the Royal Decree for the election and has asked the government for another meeting. "

And the reason they have had difficulty is that the " conditions " that Pheu Thai wanted to impose on the EC was to include a provision that if problems were encountered with the election again, the EC could take the responsibility for postponing it. As such a clause has never been included before in an election decree, the EC is absolutely right to to be concerned about it. It could have been successfully challenged constitutionally. You can't issue a decree with a movable election date. Pheu Thai have been reinventing election laws as much as they have reinvented everything else. At a certain point, however, it's inevitable that they hit a legal wall. But it really comes down to the fact that Pheu Thai has had no business from the start imposing new rules and regulations and election clauses that no one has heard before. Pheu Thai has never at any time acknowledged that the EC is constitutionally empowered to do what they do. Even now, Pheu Thai still doesn't get it. They think they can reinvent election law and just inform the EC when they do.

Edited by Scamper

EC says " If Mr. Suthep says "No"...I don't dare to have a Democratic Election. Why would I want to go against Mr. Suthep, my Hero.!!

EC is just a puppet of the Dems and Suthep. Lets all just get real.

" The EC and the government had earlier reached an agreement that an election should be held on July 20, with some conditions. But the election agency has had problems drafting the Royal Decree for the election and has asked the government for another meeting. "

And the reason they have had difficulty is that the " conditions " that Pheu Thai wanted to impose on the EC was to include a provision that if problems were encountered with the election again, the EC could take the responsibility for postponing it. As such a clause has never been included before in an election decree, the EC is absolutely right to to be concerned about it. It could have been successfully challenged constitutionally. You can't issue a decree with a movable election date. Pheu Thai have been reinventing election laws as much as they have reinvented everything else. At a certain point, however, it's inevitable that they hit a legal wall. But it really comes down to the fact that Pheu Thai has had no business from the start imposing new rules and regulations and election clauses that no one has heard before. Pheu Thai has never at any time acknowledged that the EC is constitutionally empowered to do what they do. Even now, Pheu Thai still doesn't get it. They think they can reinvent election law and just inform the EC when they do.

The news accounts that I read are opposite to what you note here. What I read is that the EC wanted to amend the draft decree to allow it to postpone the elections should conditions warrant. With such language, it would allow any individual/group/party to threaten the safe holding of the elections. Elections can't be a crap shoot. The public and the candidates need and deserve the benefit of a date certain for the holding of elections. The EC, for its part, needs to insure that there is adequate security to allow people to go to the polls without threat or intimidation.

• Like 2

The news accounts that I read are opposite to what you note here. What I read is that the EC wanted to amend the draft decree to allow it to postpone the elections should conditions warrant. With such language, it would allow any individual/group/party to threaten the safe holding of the elections. Elections can't be a crap shoot. The public and the candidates need and deserve the benefit of a date certain for the holding of elections. The EC, for its part, needs to insure that there is adequate security to allow people to go to the polls without threat or intimidation.

How is it the responsibility or with in the power of the EC to insure that there is adequate security. All it can do is negotiate with the relevant parties (as it has been doing) to try and help the situation.

Why doesn't the chairman of the EC just go to the anti government stage and hug Suthep. Amazing the chairman of the EC is doing everything possible to not have elections.

Well, the man was right last time when he didn't want the election because it wouldn't work. It was only throwing away a few billion baht more. Peanuts for the YL-government perhaps, but still a waste of money.

Maybe you have a point, but the root case is Suthep, and the EC, Police, Army is on that fascist his side, thats the only reason.

Everybody knows Suthep nor the Dem's can win an election, that's why EC is against election, because they are on the corrupt side of Suthep.

The Reds wanted late June. EC wanted July 20th. EC won out and decided the election would occur July 20th. BUT.... now, someone has gotten back into the ear of the EC.

If anyone thinks that money doesn't talk in Thailand, then you are crazy. The Government (EC) Should never allow illegal acts (Such as the PDRC attempts to block democratic vote) to impact the decision making process of the EC. But, of course, they do. This just shows how weak and how obvious that the EC is in the back pocket of the PDRC.

Good example is when the EC said they wanted to delay the first election, and then they actually wanted the Gov't to use their funds instead of EC funds to pay for the 2nd election because it was the Gov't that was "Wrong" to want to have a democratic vote according to the constitution!! Now doesn't that tell you how much the EC is in the pocket of the PDRC. Not one time has the EC blamed the PDRC for obstruction of the Democratic process!!

Perhaps political tensions would be reduced by actually getting free & fair elections completed without intimidation.

Totally agree with this, but to do this Reform has to be done to enable this to occur. If there is no reform as you said fair elections can never be held.

It stands out a mile. I cannot for the life of me see why pro gov posters will not go along with this. I speak like this as we do not have a say in what happens out there only try to be honest with our posts.thumbsup.gif

Ginjag,

You have always seemed like one of the more reasonable anti-democracy posters. I believe that the country needs elections quickly to show who really speaks with the voice of the people. I also agree that there needs to be reform, but the reforms I wish for are different to yours and will not happen for a very long time.

Your second paragraph seems like a genuine plea from the heart for understanding and I will answer it honestly. I cannot go along with trusting the anti-democracy forces as I feel that it would not be fair to change the election law just to prevent one man (Family) from being elected.

A word on Taksin, I do not believe that his crimes were that serious in comparison to the crimes committed by other politicians and that the witch hunt carried out by the courts has removed any legitimacy that they judicial system had in the eyes of the common people. Note that I do not say that he (they) was innocent, but many of the people I talk to do believe it.

I will only reply to you on this thread as I am getting very bored with all of the ranters on here.

You say you wish for reforms which you claim are different from those of another poster.

Perhaps if you were to detail the reforms you want to see in the distant future we could get a better understanding of where you are coming from.

You could also tell us how you see a free and fair election being conducted in the present atmosphere.

How is it the responsibility or with in the power of the EC to insure that there is adequate security. All it can do is negotiate with the relevant parties (as it has been doing) to try and help the situation.

Well, it's their job to run the elections, isn't it? Why do they need to negotiate? Shouldn't the relevant parties respect and obey a request for aid and assistance?

Maybe if the army would do as in any civilized country and protect candidate registrations and polls due to the disrupting protests, elections would have worked and would work.

It seems EC chairman is waiting something to happen, likely some party or all of its member be banned...

Independent agency? Pfffttt...

Another newbie pro government poster, will have to see who else has gone. strange.

I am a member and mainly a lurker since October 2006, I don't like to post often because the easy judging people writing here. Are you one of them?

You told me I am a pro government, but you went totally off target. I am just against lies and so I am totally against the so-called independent agencies of this country for a starter...

A civilized country doesn't need and wouldn't allow the army to protect candidate registrations. Keeping the peace and enforcing the law is the job of the police.

You are against lies which is very commendable. So you clearly won't be pro PTP as they have been caught lying and cheating countless times.

Totally agree with this, but to do this Reform has to be done to enable this to occur. If there is no reform as you said fair elections can never be held.

It stands out a mile. I cannot for the life of me see why pro gov posters will not go along with this. I speak like this as we do not have a say in what happens out there only try to be honest with our posts.thumbsup.gif

You can't understand why some are unwilling to simply hand power to Suthep's boys? Because that is what "reform" means in the Thai context.

Not very smart of you! But maybe you think its ok to just keep wasting millions and millions of baht. If the courts already nullified the last elections because they were not held on the same day what makes you think it wont happen again!

Surely you know its not the ECs fault. They are ready to do their job. Or maybe you just like making everyone else take the blame the same a yourr typical PTP member

Democracy is priceless. You do not put a price tag on it.
My comment was not about democracy!!!