Mugging suspect killed in high-speed Bangkok chase

Lite Beer

Mugging suspect killed in high-speed Bangkok chase
Panya Phanpheuk
The Nation

30233320-01_big.jpg
A BMW driver crashed into a shophouse in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Initial investigation into a case in which a Bangkok businessman rammed his BMW into an alleged robber's motorbike, killing him instantly, on Thursday night showed that the deceased suspect had committed similar muggings several times before.

Thawich Kitniyom, 32, claimed that he was robbed at knifepoint by the motorcyclist - later identified as Somkuan Thaidecha - while he was waiting to make a U-turn in front of Lat Phrao Soi 130.

Immediate reaction

According to the investigation so far, Somkuan, who was on a motorcycle, stopped and knocked on Thawich's car window.

Thawich rolled down the window, thinking Somkuan wanted directions, but was punched in the face and held at knifepoint until he gave up his valuables. Somkuan then fled and Thawich began to give chase, Thanee said.

After being mugged, Thawich said he decided to give chase, claiming that he was tailing the suspect until they reached the three-way junction at Soi Nawamin 14, when the suspect took a sudden turn and Thawich's speeding car rammed into him.

Heavy impact

The impact sent the car along with the suspect on his motorbike into a roadside shophouse, and Somkuan died instantly.

Lat Phrao superintendent Pol Colonel Withawat Chinkham said initial investigation showed that the suspect had robbed others in the same manner, except this time the alleged victim decided to give chase.

Police said they had to investigate the case further to determine whether Thawich intended to kill the man before taking legal action. Withawat said all sides would be treated justly.

Lat Phrao investigator Pol Major Thanee Jitham said Somkuan was a former convict and had committed previous robberies, while Thawich worked as clothing designer.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-10

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure that if the driver of the BMW was a cop, he'd have the theif's whole family behind bars for no reason.

Ah well, As wrong as it is, If I got mugged like that and was in a position to take revenge, I'm sure that in the heat of anger anybody would have done that.

• Like 1

At the very least he should go down on manslaughter charges.

B-S, after being mugged and if it is found true that the suspect rammed his car, and it should be easy to investigate, then the suspect died from his own actions and no charges shoud be filed on the BM driver.

He has chased a guy in his vehicle at high speed which alone is an offence (Conduct endangering life) wether he intended to collide with the guy or not is irrelevant. It is a hands down Culpable Driving where I come from and I have charged a couple with the offence.

(1) Any person who by the culpable driving of a motor vehicle causes the death of another person shall be guilty of an indictable offence and shall be liable to level 3 imprisonment (20 years maximum) or a level 3 fine or both.

S. 318(2) amended by No. 127/1986 s. 102(Sch. 4 item 5.4).

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) a person drives a motor vehicle culpably if he drives the motor vehicle

(a) recklessly, that is to say, if he consciously and unjustifiably disregards a substantial risk that the death of another person or the infliction of grievous bodily harm upon another person may result from his driving; or

(B) negligently, that is to say, if he fails unjustifiably and to a gross degree to observe the standard of care which a reasonable man would have observed in all the circumstances of the case; or

© whilst under the influence of alcohol to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the motor vehicle; or

Who is Thanee? nothing was said about that person. If someone tries robbing you at knife point and they end up dead isn't that a good thing?

For the most part, I agree. One less scumbag to threaten decent people. The only downside I see here is that the bmw driver could have hurt an innocent party while chasing the thief.

• Like 2

before you all join in the "som nam na" chorus I'd like to check that the bike did not cut him up and he rammed him then threw his wallet on the corpse claiming 'thief"!

IF he was a thief I have no sympathy in the slightest. Let's find out if he was 'scumbag' OR 'selfish bike rider vs angry motorist'

before you all join in the "som nam na" chorus I'd like to check that the bike did not cut him up and he rammed him then threw his wallet on the corpse claiming 'thief"!

IF he was a thief I have no sympathy in the slightest. Let's find out if he was 'scumbag' OR 'selfish bike rider vs angry motorist'

police already said he has done this before. his karma caught up with him

• Like 1

well Chooka how about - he was in pursuit in an attempt to make an arrest, further - the driver of the MB was driving in a dangerous manner likely to cause injury or death to others

There are many aspects to a case like this it's not as black and white as you seem to think

Edited by smedly

well Chooka how about - he was in pursuit in an attempt to make an arrest, further - the driver of the MB was driving in a dangerous manner likely to cause injury or death to others

There are many aspects to a case like this it's not as black and white as you seem to think

Are Thai citizens authorised to engage in pursuits and break road rules to make a citizens arrest? Definitely are not where I come from and will be prosecuted if they did.

They mugger got hit with Karma and no argument from me on that one.

I don't often agree with your comments / idea's but this time I'm 95% with you, a premeditated act resulting in death - should be murder not manslaughter.

It's premeditated murder. By the way Thai police, the perpetrator's record is no proof that he did what the homicidal killer says he did. He may have, but that is not newsworthy yet. What is newsworthy is that the BMW driver was not intially arrested and investigated.

He's rather dedicated or not a good driver to end up with his car in someone's house.

It is claimed he ran into the thief 5555, did the thief drive into someones house?

Good job he didn't wreck that old clock on the wall.

Commenting on any Thai news story is a waste of time as you never get the full story from any party.

Wish that Webfact would stop posting this nonsense, no wonder most people on this forum hate Thailand.

• Like 1

I don't often agree with your comments / idea's but this time I'm 95% with you, a premeditated act resulting in death - should be murder not manslaughter.

Who said it was premeditated? Maybe his mental state said i gonna just run the pos over and get my belongings. They need to hire him for the police force!

De Driver sounds like a real hero and he saved many people from being mugged and sent a good message to the wicked muggers in this city which are many

If you r punched and robbed at knife point then it is good to punish the evil man but I do not think he mean to kill and his death was karma coz Bob Marley told us to get up and stand for our rights

Oh, so that's OK then........garbage!

Are Thai citizens authorised to engage in pursuits and break road rules to make a citizens arrest? Definitely are not where I come from and will be prosecuted if they did.

They mugger got hit with Karma and no argument from me on that one.

If your car costs more tham 3m baht; then in most cases, yes

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

B-S, after being mugged and if it is found true that the suspect rammed his car, and it should be easy to investigate, then the suspect died from his own actions and no charges shoud be filed on the BM driver.

He has chased a guy in his vehicle at high speed which alone is an offence (Conduct endangering life) wether he intended to collide with the guy or not is irrelevant. It is a hands down Culpable Driving where I come from and I have charged a couple with the offence.

(1) Any person who by the culpable driving of a motor vehicle causes the death of another person shall be guilty of an indictable offence and shall be liable to level 3 imprisonment (20 years maximum) or a level 3 fine or both.

S. 318(2) amended by No. 127/1986 s. 102(Sch. 4 item 5.4).

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1) a person drives a motor vehicle culpably if he drives the motor vehicle

(a) recklessly, that is to say, if he consciously and unjustifiably disregards a substantial risk that the death of another person or the infliction of grievous bodily harm upon another person may result from his driving; or

(cool.png negligently, that is to say, if he fails unjustifiably and to a gross degree to observe the standard of care which a reasonable man would have observed in all the circumstances of the case; or

© whilst under the influence of alcohol to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the motor vehicle; or

chooka, while I do agree in general with your post, I believe that this would work only in countries where there is a rule of law, law enforcement and a working justice system. Thailand doesn't have that; in effect if you want justice for yourself you can not rely on the Thai 'system'. You lived here long enough to know that. Inept, lazy, corrupt police....antiquated, ridiculous laws with laughable fines and penalties...a biased justice system...all this serves the criminal and not the taxpayer who pays for cops' and judges' and lawmakers' salaries. So here you are faced with a culture that promotes criminals and creates crime and someone perpetrates a crime on you...it's all relative...

• Like 1