Do's and Don'ts of Thailand ... simplified guide for newbies

David48

Is she Thai or Pinoy? Anyway, good basic advice and I bet she has a good giggle at all the moaning farangs on Thai Visa

Pinoy of course. Ever heard a Thai women speak English that fluently?

Oops, that comparison whas a Don't do biggrin.png

And yes I also use my toe to operate these fan buttons.

No other surprise in the video, but a nice piece of education!

Yes, Benjawan Poomsan and many more. Says more about you than Thai women who speak English.

Your grimness tells me much about your missing sense of humour.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Benjawan Poomsan and many more. Says more about you than Thai women who speak English.

What? 1. You wrote, "Ever heard a Thai women speak English that fluently?"

2. That is absolute balderdash. 3. As untrue as untrue gets. 4. A baldfaced lie.

When I correct you; you accuse me of not having a sense of humor?

How bizarre.

• Like 1

Funny about the fan as that is how I turn it on at home. If they wanted you to use your hands they would put the switches up higher. biggrin.png

When I arrived here for military assignment decades ago they would give all of us a wallet size card with all the Do's and Don'ts on it. Perhaps TAT should give that some thought. wink.png

//edit - just asked my wife how she normally turns the floor fan on. She went and used her hand, then asked about using her foot and she promptly turned it on with her foot. But she said it was no problem around family and close friends but was a major no-no around guests. Learned something new.

my wife was pretty shocked when she saw me the first time taking a fallen pencil from the floor with the toes.

She laughed when I brought her food and drinks and opened the door knob with my foot.

Now she, as she is lazy, is picking up fallen things with her foot as well....but never ever when someone else sees her......

good effort. and shows one of the benefits of dating a filipino; they can speak english!

just a reminder for some of you guys out there; you DONT wai someone of lower status; dont walk into restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. and start waiing all and sundry, you only embarrass the staff, make them feel uncomfortable show your cultural ignorance.

Well apply common sense and 99 % is the same as in your home country....would you walk into a restaurant and shake hand and bow to the waiter? Here the same, just slightly different flavor....

Funny video, but at the same time, it points out some idiocies that are commonplace in Thailand.

Although not mentioned in the video, tipping money at a restaurant/bar in Thailand is a "Western" thing, although today even some generous Thais are doing it as well. One time I wanted to tip a bar 20 baht, but using spare change that I had (mostly 1 baht coins). They would not take it!... and even shouted at me for even offering it. It was not because they did not want the tip, but because it was all coins. So apparently these particular Thais felt that there is more value to a 20 baht note than to 20 baht of change. Seems to me that they are equals amounts. Anyhow, I gave them a 20 baht note, and in addition, I tossed the coins on the floor (oooh, a faux pas in Thailand!). I figure they would pick them up after I left the bar, like dogs picking up scraps.

As for footwear in the house, I presume most Thais take off their shoes to prevent tracking dirt/dust into their houses. This makes sense. Yet for some reason, at my home (in Thailand) I have to sweep the floor (Note: I do not have a work permit!) on a daily basis. I guess bare-feet also track in dirt/dust.

Tipping in coins is considered rude in the US too, FYI.... "...like dogs picking up scraps." Wow, keeping it classy.

Is she Thai or Pinoy? Anyway, good basic advice and I bet she has a good giggle at all the moaning farangs on Thai Visa

Your blanket generalizations tell me much about your ignorance

Would be much better if some foreigners could keep their footwear on when entering a house/ temple/etc, as some of them have so smelly feet that all the others would secretly disappear.

I agree and another good reason is that feet get incredibly dirty underneath by going barefoot in the above places.

Do bring gobs of bribe money if you plan on doing any form of business or need legal work...

Do not be offended by the bribes...they are all part of the normal business practices of this country...

Funny video, but at the same time, it points out some idiocies that are commonplace in Thailand.

Although not mentioned in the video, tipping money at a restaurant/bar in Thailand is a "Western" thing, although today even some generous Thais are doing it as well. One time I wanted to tip a bar 20 baht, but using spare change that I had (mostly 1 baht coins). They would not take it!... and even shouted at me for even offering it. It was not because they did not want the tip, but because it was all coins. So apparently these particular Thais felt that there is more value to a 20 baht note than to 20 baht of change. Seems to me that they are equals amounts. Anyhow, I gave them a 20 baht note, and in addition, I tossed the coins on the floor (oooh, a faux pas in Thailand!). I figure they would pick them up after I left the bar, like dogs picking up scraps.

As for footwear in the house, I presume most Thais take off their shoes to prevent tracking dirt/dust into their houses. This makes sense. Yet for some reason, at my home (in Thailand) I have to sweep the floor (Note: I do not have a work permit!) on a daily basis. I guess bare-feet also track in dirt/dust.

Tipping in coins is considered rude in the US too, FYI.... "...like dogs picking up scraps." Wow, keeping it classy.

Yes. This is a strange one. When I go to BigC and get coins back as change, my wife sticks them in her pocket. Next time: instead of having to accept ฿99 in change or whatever, she can give them the one Baht (or whatever) and we leave without a load of loose change. We get strange looks sometimes, why don't we pave the road with them or something? -kind of thing.

Tywais, on 10 May 2014 - 13:58, said:

Funny about the fan as that is how I turn it on at home. If they wanted you to use your hands they would put the switches up higher. biggrin.png

When I arrived here for military assignment decades ago they would give all of us a wallet size card with all the Do's and Don'ts on it. Perhaps TAT should give that some thought. wink.png

//edit - just asked my wife how she normally turns the floor fan on. She went and used her hand, then asked about using her foot and she promptly turned it on with her foot. But she said it was no problem around family and close friends but was a major no-no around guests. Learned something new.

As for not showing the soles of your feet, they do it all the time at temples when kneeling.. What should be said is don't point the soles at anyone, which again at times is impossible.

transam, on 10 May 2014 - 14:21, said:
JLCrab, on 10 May 2014 - 14:08, said:

When around Thai people, never touch one of these with your feet:

rattan-ball-17725266.jpg

Never, pickled onions should be eaten straight from the jar, noooooooooooo footy stuff..........thumbsup.gif

mmmmm... pickled onions... so miss then..

Gumballl, on 12 May 2014 - 06:47, said:

You're quite right about why they take their shoes off.... we used to do the same thing back home, especially if it had been raining...oh, farmers still do it.

Yes. This is a strange one. When I go to BigC and get coins back as change, my wife sticks them in her pocket. Next time: instead of having to accept ฿99 in change or whatever, she can give them the one Baht (or whatever) and we leave without a load of loose change. We get strange looks sometimes, why don't we pave the road with them or something? -kind of thing.

Those strange looks are just the people around you thinking:

"There stands a mental giant."

• Like 1

For me, the biggest " Don't" is don''t trust the Thai Police, irrespective of branch,location or rank. They are rotten to the core; corrupt & self-seeking. In the West, we are culturally trusting of our various Police Agencies -one of the biggest mistakes a Newbie can take is to apply the same values to the BiB.

On a crowded floor or beach avoid stepping over people legs!

Avoid pointing your finger at someone too.

Didn't think about the fan, my gf does it all the time, but when I used my foot to point to which pair of shoes I preferred in a shop. I got the evil eye!

good effort. and shows one of the benefits of dating a filipino; they can speak english!

just a reminder for some of you guys out there; you DONT wai someone of lower status; dont walk into restaurants, hotels, shops, etc. and start waiing all and sundry, you only embarrass the staff, make them feel uncomfortable show your cultural ignorance.

My wife says I shouldn't wai anybody, because farangs can't do it properly, and it is not expected. A nod and a short smile gets the job done.

• Like 1

It's funny about the 'feet thing'.

When have the baby in the chair which can rock a little bit, if the FiL / MiL is not watching, both my gf and I use our feet to 'rock' the chair because we are busy with other things as we have twins.

But, if the older Thai is near ... we use our hands and stop the other activity.

Ditto the Fan speed controls.

'tis but life here.

do: use common sense at all time and be friendly at all time, even when telling someone to pizz-ov.

don't: interfere too closely with thai. great people to hang out with but don't get involved emotionally. friendships change overnight in thailand and are often based on opportunism (in the west often too btw!). thais don't mind taking advantage of their fellow man refered to as "my friend", let alone farang. remain in charge/control at all the time. and when they say "farang no understand" take it as a compliment since it often means they could not let you do/say/act in a way that suits them fine. thumbsup.gif

Didn't think about the fan, my gf does it all the time, but when I used my foot to point to which pair of shoes I preferred in a shop. I got the evil eye!

LOL @ the evil eye biggrin.png

Am I the only one that wants to strangle this idiot?

same same. This chick doesn't know if she wants to be philo, yank or Thai and what she points out are pretty much givens as for anyone that has common sense and does any research before travelling to a foreign country, could think of a thousand other things that would enlighten people about the do's and don'ts of thailand.

Especially if it's the BIB asking you to do it!!