Oracle wins appeal against Google in copyright case

Lite Beer

Oracle wins appeal against Google in copyright case

Los Angeles- Software maker Oracle won a federal appeals court bid Friday in Washington, claiming that Google copied its Java programming language, according to multiple media reports.

The court reversed a previous trial judge’s ruling, allowing Oracle to copyright parts of its Java programming system that Google used to create its Android mobile software.

Oracle sought more than 1 billion dollars, claiming Google used its Java code without licensing the right when creating Android software.

A judge two years ago ruled that shortcuts created by Oracle’s Java code to perform functions like connecting to the internet were not copyright table.That decision has now been reversed.

The case could make it more difficult for developers to build software that uses Java code to interact with other programmes, according to the San Jose Mercury News.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-10

"The case could make it more difficult for developers to build software that uses Java code to interact with other programmes,"

No, one just cannot build s/w without getting permission from Oracle that can on a case by case basis charge for use of its code.

A very good example of why Sun should never have been allowed to be acquired by Oracle.

JAVA was supposed to be open source - it was with Sun. Time for Google and others to find a replacement that is open source.

I hope that Google takes this case to the very highest level as this verdict stinks.

• Like 1

I hate Java, more because Oracle have screwed it up than any other reason.

Methinks some $$$ will be changing hands sooner or later.

It's a given that Google, given the high stakes, will ask for an en banc rehearing. But since the panel was not divided at all, I doubt that a full-court review would lead to a different result. This appellate opinion is extremely convincing. Google can, of course, try to appeal this case to the Supreme Court. Maybe it will bring a petition for writ of certiorari. But such a petition should be denied because the Federal Circuit ruling is absolutely consistent with Supreme Court law. In any event it will take some more time before a mandate issues to the district court. And then there will be further proceedings, which I look forward to. Or there may not be further proceedings if Google recognizes that Oracle is now on the winning track, and finally takes the license it was already negotiating years ago. That would be the most reasonable outcome.