Thai Music … do you dig it?

David48

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great thread. I love Thai music and it's always a good source for learning the language.

Da Endorphine, Slur, TRMT, The Jukks (3 of them from the lable "small room Bangkok" always worth a look into it: http://www.smallroom.co.th/index.php) are some of the more moderen.

But I also love the classics (Loso, Jintara, Parn) and many more.

Currently one of my favorites: Asanee-Wasan

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkw1cj_%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%99-%E0%B8%A7%E0%B8%AA-%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%95-concert-1-17_music

I don't mind 'Thai 'music when it's Thais doing 'Thai music'

but when it's Thais doing Western music I feel that they tend not to come up to the mark.

I'd agree on the whole but if you like harder stuff some of the bands at The Rock Pub and Immortal Bar are outstandingly good. I watched slack jawed in amazement as one band threw out Eyeless by Slipknot without so much as a bum note or a missed beat and that is one hard drum intro.

There are also some mighty fine original bands here too. Carnivora are excellent if you can stand the growly vocals and Dictator from Laos are superb with fine bass heavy churning riffs plus they don't half have a few stories to tell about hassle from the authorities in Laos just for playing hard rock.

^^^^^

I saw an Eminem cover band at Hilary Bar on Soi 4 & they were darn good...

I also saw an older guy at Bamboo Bar on Soi 3 belting out classic 80s stuff like Sting and the Police...

Good thing the Changs and whiskeys were flowing, too! :)

I don't mind 'Thai 'music when it's Thais doing 'Thai music'

but when it's Thais doing Western music I feel that they tend not to come up to the mark.

They can't match the Filipino bands. Any Thai place I went to with a Thai band doing western covers were generally quite awful. It seems they learned the songs phonetically, sometimes they hmmm mmmm over bits they don't really get

Filipino bands they can sing pretty much anything, even current top 40

I notice a lot more filipino bands in LOS these days and Thai people I am with always remark how great they are. It's like witchcraft, they actually know the songs and all the lyrics and stuff!! biggrin.png

As for Thai music, no, don't like it. The wailing type stuff is awful. Some of it useful for learning Thai and picking up phrases that are 'in' now. I prefer the pop music but it's not related to music and everything to do with cutesy girls dancing, which is similar to western pop really, nothing to do with music

I don't really listen to much though and pretty much hate any mainstream western music too these days so read into that what you will :P

• 2 weeks later...

An oldie, but goodie.

Excellent guitar from Mee throughout; especially at 4:50. It's a shame such a talented guitarist is virtually unknown outside Thailand.

A nice bloke, too. Seen them twice in London and both times during the break he remained on stage to chat to and have his photo taken with fans.

• 4 weeks later...