ripped off electric water bill

Someone I know pays 5000bht to rent a place, there is a "private" electric meter. They are only at the place at night. There bill is 2000bht every month, they are moving out.

And if they are using air conditioning every night 2,000 baht is not excessive.

They are not. They don't like it. They live not far from me, I have A/C and bundles of stuff and noooooooooooooo 2000bht. The landlady is making extra cash from HER meter, plain and simple. MOVE OUT..............smile.png

Yeap, if no A/C then the landlady is making a very nice profit of around 4 fold.

• Like 1

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone I know pays 5000bht to rent a place, there is a "private" electric meter. They are only at the place at night. There bill is 2000bht every month, they are moving out.

And if they are using air conditioning every night 2,000 baht is not excessive.

They are not. They don't like it. They live not far from me, I have A/C and bundles of stuff and noooooooooooooo 2000bht. The landlady is making extra cash from HER meter, plain and simple. MOVE OUT..............smile.png

Yeap, if no A/C then the landlady is making a very nice profit of around 4 fold.

AND, she has now lost through greed 5000bht rental.................................Karma.................thumbsup.gif

Your lease should list the cost of electricity and water. If you signed a lease without those costs noted, you're just another sheep waiting to get fleeced. When I first moved to Thailand, I looked at several apartments, and some landlords wanted 50THB/kwh. I told them, at that rate, I should get the apartment free.

If it's a commercial building, 8 Baht/unit for electricity isn't too bad - they will be paying around 7.2-7.4 Baht/unit for it.

With VAT, Ft (energy charge), service/meter charge, just all charges, the approx charge is Bt4.8/KWH. Anything above that is just the landlord making profit.

See this Link for MEA tariffs...PEA tariffs basically the same. The OP electric usage sounds very similar to my mother-in-laws usage...a couple of frigs, couple of fans, couple of lights, TV gets turned on a few hours everyday and her monthly electric bill is in the 400 to 500 baht ballpark.

And where the OP said: "Even better water for 10 days, 1440 baht, which is 2 showers a day for 1 person and a few toilet flushes a day."

That's definitely a big time ripoff....I live in a single family home, the wife and I taking multiple showers every day, the wife washes clothes like a clean freak, watering the landscaping, etc...etc...etc....and our monthly water bill is only around Bt250.

Both the electric and water bills comes directly to us from the electric and water departments...no middlemen.

That's the residential rate.

When you move into a new place the last thing you think about is the cost of Electricity,and Water. Gas comes bottled,so not much scope for ripping you off there!

Landlords and Ladies,can and often do,mark up your supply by 200% plus.it's a hidden cost of what appears to be a reasonable rent! you will need to be ripped off this once,to make sure it never happens again! and that's the bottom line,pay for your education,and move on!

OP signed a contract which appears to be explicit about the pricing structure.

Many of us would have read the fine print, laughed and walked away.

He didn't and now is having a cry about it. Blaming someone else for his own mistake.

Can't agree with you there,every rip off can't be explained in your typical apologist fashion,a con is a con,end of story!

Of the three houses I have had in Thailand, the last two have included water and electric.... thumbsup.gif

Last one bedroom house I paid 5000 baht, PM... Current house, same one bedroom etc, I pay 7000 baht.... all in, never seen a water or electric bill!.... (no AC though... I don't want wink.png )

These everything included places are available. .... you just have to ask when looking around!

If it's a commercial building, 8 Baht/unit for electricity isn't too bad - they will be paying around 7.2-7.4 Baht/unit for it.

With VAT, Ft (energy charge), service/meter charge, just all charges, the approx charge is Bt4.8/KWH. Anything above that is just the landlord making profit.

See this Link for MEA tariffs...PEA tariffs basically the same. The OP electric usage sounds very similar to my mother-in-laws usage...a couple of frigs, couple of fans, couple of lights, TV gets turned on a few hours everyday and her monthly electric bill is in the 400 to 500 baht ballpark.

And where the OP said: "Even better water for 10 days, 1440 baht, which is 2 showers a day for 1 person and a few toilet flushes a day."

That's definitely a big time ripoff....I live in a single family home, the wife and I taking multiple showers every day, the wife washes clothes like a clean freak, watering the landscaping, etc...etc...etc....and our monthly water bill is only around Bt250.

Both the electric and water bills comes directly to us from the electric and water departments...no middlemen.

Take another look at the link I gave as it shows rates for residences (like condos or houses), businesses, etc. You won't find any rate as high as you mentioned. 7 to 8 Baht is almost double what someone pays who has the electric service in their own name...bill comes directly to them. Building management must be adding on common area electric charges, overhead, profit, etc.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

Take another look at the link I gave as it shows rates for residences (like condos or houses), businesses, etc. You won't find any rate as high as you mentioned. 7 to 8 Baht is almost double what someone pays who has the electric service in their own name...bill comes directly to them. Building management must be adding on common area electric charges, overhead, profit, etc.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

I only need to look at bills we pay - 6.9334 + VAT per unit in the last round.

As soon as the premises can be deemed a 'business' - (even a shop house), you pay commercial rates.

Edited by IMHO

I have not doubt you are paying what you are paying. I'm just saying the electric company rates are not as high as what you are saying. Go to the link I gave earlier to review the residential and business rates. Go to this Link to see the Small Business Rates which are less than 4 baht/KWH for the normal tariff...add in taxes/fees/etc., and it will raise it up to a little below 5 baht/KWH. Below is a cut and paste from the link I just gave.

post-55970-0-32492300-1399949141_thumb.j

I have not doubt you are paying what you are paying. I'm just saying the electric company rates are not as high as what you are saying. Go to the link I gave earlier to review the residential and business rates. Go to this Link to see the Small Business Rates which are less than 4 baht/KWH for the normal tariff...add in taxes/fees/etc., and it will raise it up to a little below 5 baht/KWH. Below is a cut and paste from the link I just gave.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

*sigh*

I am talking about the rates on an actual bill from the actual PEA, LOL.

This link provides a Oct 2012 briefing from the Energy Regulatory Authority of Thailand and reflects average PEA (in the provinces) and MEA (in Bangkok) electricity rates in Thailand. Now rates have went up some since mid 2012 but they are still pretty close to what the briefing shows. One of the slides from the briefing do show a rate of 6.8 baht/KWH if classified as a Temporary Power Customer....throw in some taxes/fees and a person would be over 7 baht/KWH. All the other rates shown, residential and business rates, are in the lower 3 to lower 4 baht/KWH ballpark....add in another 15% or so for taxes/fees. A couple of the slides from the briefing are below. Maybe we should all get classified as Agriculutral Pumping customers as they get the lowest rate. And of course these rates do not reflect any add-on/profit/etc., a landlord may apply.

post-55970-0-54412400-1399961963_thumb.j

post-55970-0-44295100-1399961972_thumb.j

Edited by Pib

Hi,

you really have been ripped off.

I rented a house for two people. No aircon. 2 fans,tv,computer,washing-machine.

I pay in one month (30days):

water: 250 bath

electricity: 350 baht

I pay the original Thai prices.

Tom

Edited by tomhell

OP signed a contract which appears to be explicit about the pricing structure.

Many of us would have read the fine print, laughed and walked away.

He didn't and now is having a cry about it. Blaming someone else for his own mistake.

Can't agree with you there,every rip off can't be explained in your typical apologist fashion,a con is a con,end of story!

Get your hand off it.

I never said the pricing was a good price.

And do tell me, what is an apologist? You seem to know better than me.

Wow , what a rip off, I have never received a water/electric bill this high, I had a water pump installed for better pressure and have 2 bathrooms and have never paid over 600 baht a month for water/electric together. However I live in Nakhon Sawan