Pattaya to extend beach in bid to lure tourists

webfact

Talk about the negative morons who spend all day reading Thai Visa. They have all hit this article. Same names allthe time. Poor guys have very sad lives

Speak for yourself Berkshire , I mean Larry001. "They have all hit this article" ??

No one here is against beach restoration.

But just throwing sandbags at the problem results in the decaying mess at North end of beach. Have you seen it ?

The solution requires specialized civil engineering in beach erosion.

And the article does not include that expertise.

Edited by morrobay

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a novel idea...why don't they take better care of the beach that they have! The last time I strolled down the beach there were tons of garbage all along the shore line....not to mention 2, yes 2 syringes with needles on them laying on the beach!

Take better care of the beach?? You must be kidding, there's no tea money opportunity in that!

When completed, the beach extension project is expected to revamp the image of Pattaya as a resort town with clean beaches and white sand,

I am not sure how they plan to keep the beaches clean and white with all the rubbish in the water.

430million? and it will all just wash away within a short period. What a farce... Thailand I mean, not just this particular idea.

Correct! There are two reasons the beach has eroded: 1) they cut down the old-growth trees that were acting as a barrier to erosion, and 2) global warming is causing the thermal expansion of the oceans worldwide, leading to an increase in beach erosion (and it will only get worse in the future). The good news for those who support the project is that it will bring them big money over a long period of time. Money will be spent on a project that will initially look good. But wave action will destroy what initially looked like a successful project, requiring even more money to fix the problem. The cash registers are already ringing. I doubt they will even take the time to consult with beach erosion experts.

Al Gore's in the House

Actually you have missed the third reason the beach has eroded. Perhaps if you had been here 35 years ago and seen pattaya beach as it was, you would wonder even more at the little strip of crap that is left. Development of ports and piers both towards Rayong and back towards Sri Racha have actually affected the localised currents around Pattaya. This has led to serious and deep erosion of Both Pattaya and Jom-Thien Beaches. Basically, as is always the case, local Pu-yai's have made loads of money by destroying the local environment, see the ''development'' of Pattaya,Ko Samui, Ko Samet, Ko Chang, Phuket, and even Hua hin and Ch-aam. Basically Thai's believe that 10 baht today is better that 2 baht tomorrow..and every day after.

• Like 1

And who owns the place the sand will come from? Probably the same person who provided all the panda crossings that no longer work.

This project is not being done for the tourist it's being done to line someones pocket.

I agree,the installing of the panda crossings was a complete waste of time & money. The money could have, & should have, been spent on building bridges ( especially one outside Central shopping mall ) so that people can cross over 2nd Rd. safely.

Also, it's about time that the authorities considered making the traffic flow on Soi Buakhaow one way, due to the volume of traffic being too much for a narrow street with no pavement at all.It's a nightmare just walking up or down the Soi never mind trying to cross over it.

The sand won't stay anyway. The beach, like all stable beaches, was naturally refreshed and replenished by currents and storms.

Then they dredged for sand out at sea in the "reservoir" where the new beach sand ultimately comes from. Until THAT'S re-filled, any sand put on the beach will just go to fill it up.

Only when the reservoir is full again will the natural movement of sand give a stable beach once more. Stable, but not static - sand is SUPPOSED to move.

"2) global warming is causing the thermal expansion of the oceans worldwide, leading to an increase in beach erosion (and it will only get worse in the future)."

My apologies.... I couldn't let this AGW Alarmist statement by a member go unchallenged....

Except for a few pauses, like during the L.I.A., the oceans have been warming ever since the beginning of the retreat of the last Glacial Period. We've warmed about 0.85 degees C between 1880 - 2012, (according to the I.P.P.C.) The L.I.A. ended circa 1850.... so it's no surprise... and it's to be expected....

Sea level rise past 20,000 years: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

Sea level rise past 9,000 years: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Holocene_Sea_Level.png

CO2 and Temperature past 570 million years: http://drtimball.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/average-global-temperature.jpg

The charts speak for themselves... common sense is needed here. Sea level is rising... yes.... but at such a slow rate compared to the past. Siesta Key beach in Florida looks the same now, as it did more than thirty years ago.....

Shore erosion ? Nothing new... it always goes on... ever since oceans first formed...Land in some areas being washed away.... new land being created in other areas.... sometimes quickly... sometimes very gradually.... nothing new....

Last year, in Phuket, Thailand, and Sihanoukville, Cambodia, I asked some fishermen if they have noticed any sea level rise and got laughed at... one fisherman in the group at Sihanoukville laughing at me, pointing at me and saying "Al Gore...Al Gore". Embarrassing. I guess Gore's propaganda movie even made it to southeast Asia.

Anyways....I was told they still tie their boats up at the same place they did twenty years ago. They haven't had to move their docks further inland. Sea level rise is so slow today..... it is easily adapted to without even noticing.... Hollywood disaster films are really not that accurate.. A drop back to Little Ice Age temperatures would totally stop the little rise in sea level.... at the cost of shorter growing seasons and failed harvests in Europe, Ukraine and North America.. Do a study of the effects of the Little Ice Age....

People love the warmth... and tend to retire to places that are warm/hot with palm trees and sandy beaches... Not too many luxury resorts and retirement communities in the Arctic or Antarctic. Pretty bleak in those places.... nobody even retires to places like Labrador, which is not as far north as the Arctic .. even though Labrador has some beautiful sandy beaches.... it isn't warm enough...

Sea level has always changed on this planet. From being much lower during Glacial Periods, to being higher during warmer Interglacial Periods like now. (Glacial Period are not the same thing as Ice Ages.)

I know something of Paleoclimatology.... and what we are experiencing right now is perfectly within the normal range of variability on this planet. But since I am not fighting to get government grants and other money from foundations.... I don't have to raise any alarm. ("The squeaky wheel gets the grease.")

​ How much money are you going to receive from foundations and government if you tell them there is nothing unusual happening? The result of there being no problem or the result of a problem being solved... is your funding being cut.

AGW climate change alarm is pushed for political reasons and nothing more. More regulation in our lives and higher taxes and money to be made like with Al Gores carbon credit schemes.... The AGW scare is simply playing on people's fears for those reasons...

Climate always changes on this planet... always has.. always will. Sometimes very fast... sometimes very slow... like now... It's normal....no matter what the cause...

​ How many people realize... that we are still in an Ice Age ? ? The Ice Age we are currently in is also called the Quaternary Glaciation or Pleistocene Glaciation or Present Ice Age. It started 2.5 million years ago... and is not over yet since we still have ice caps, glaciers and ice fields...

We are in an Interglacial Period, between Glacial Periods, during the Present Ice Age. The subject is fascinating....

• Like 2

"2) global warming is causing the thermal expansion of the oceans worldwide, leading to an increase in beach erosion (and it will only get worse in the future)."

My apologies.... I couldn't let this AGW Alarmist statement by a member go unchallenged....

Except for a few pauses, like during the L.I.A., the oceans have been warming ever since the beginning of the retreat of the last Glacial Period. We've warmed about 0.85 degees C between 1880 - 2012, (according to the I.P.P.C.) The L.I.A. ended circa 1850.... so it's no surprise... and it's to be expected....

Sea level rise past 20,000 years: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1d/Post-Glacial_Sea_Level.png

Sea level rise past 9,000 years: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1e/Holocene_Sea_Level.png

CO2 and Temperature past 570 million years: http://drtimball.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/average-global-temperature.jpg

The charts speak for themselves... common sense is needed here. Sea level is rising... yes.... but at such a slow rate compared to the past. Siesta Key beach in Florida looks the same now, as it did more than thirty years ago.....

Shore erosion ? Nothing new... it always goes on... ever since oceans first formed...Land in some areas being washed away.... new land being created in other areas.... sometimes quickly... sometimes very gradually.... nothing new....

Last year, in Phuket, Thailand, and Sihanoukville, Cambodia, I asked some fishermen if they have noticed any sea level rise and got laughed at... one fisherman in the group at Sihanoukville laughing at me, pointing at me and saying "Al Gore...Al Gore". Embarrassing. I guess Gore's propaganda movie even made it to southeast Asia.

Anyways....I was told they still tie their boats up at the same place they did twenty years ago. They haven't had to move their docks further inland. Sea level rise is so slow today..... it is easily adapted to without even noticing.... Hollywood disaster films are really not that accurate.. A drop back to Little Ice Age temperatures would totally stop the little rise in sea level.... at the cost of shorter growing seasons and failed harvests in Europe, Ukraine and North America.. Do a study of the effects of the Little Ice Age....

People love the warmth... and tend to retire to places that are warm/hot with palm trees and sandy beaches... Not too many luxury resorts and retirement communities in the Arctic or Antarctic. Pretty bleak in those places.... nobody even retires to places like Labrador, which is not as far north as the Arctic .. even though Labrador has some beautiful sandy beaches.... it isn't warm enough...

Sea level has always changed on this planet. From being much lower during Glacial Periods, to being higher during warmer Interglacial Periods like now. (Glacial Period are not the same thing as Ice Ages.)

I know something of Paleoclimatology.... and what we are experiencing right now is perfectly within the normal range of variability on this planet. But since I am not fighting to get government grants and other money from foundations.... I don't have to raise any alarm. ("The squeaky wheel gets the grease.")

​ How much money are you going to receive from foundations and government if you tell them there is nothing unusual happening? The result of there being no problem or the result of a problem being solved... is your funding being cut.

AGW climate change alarm is pushed for political reasons and nothing more. More regulation in our lives and higher taxes and money to be made like with Al Gores carbon credit schemes.... The AGW scare is simply playing on people's fears for those reasons...

Climate always changes on this planet... always has.. always will. Sometimes very fast... sometimes very slow... like now... It's normal....no matter what the cause...

​ How many people realize... that we are still in an Ice Age ? ? The Ice Age we are currently in is also called the Quaternary Glaciation or Pleistocene Glaciation or Present Ice Age. It started 2.5 million years ago... and is not over yet since we still have ice caps, glaciers and ice fields...

We are in an Interglacial Period, between Glacial Periods, during the Present Ice Age. The subject is fascinating....

Yes, no doubt the earth is flat.

• Like 1

Why not get rid of the Sellers & stop all trafick on Beach Road.Problem solved It would only take days & not years to solve.

What an absolutely brilliant first post! We look forward to many more following in the great tradition of our keyboard warriors who specialize in grand solutions.

I have a novel idea...why don't they take better care of the beach that they have! The last time I strolled down the beach there were tons of garbage all along the shore line....not to mention 2, yes 2 syringes with needles on them laying on the beach!

Take better care of the beach?? You must be kidding, there's no tea money opportunity in that!

Is this really the first time the "tea money" hot button has been pushed by our armchair experts with true insider knowledge of undercover Thai doings?

Must be a record.

Talk about the negative morons who spend all day reading Thai Visa. They have all hit this article. Same names allthe time. Poor guys have very sad lives

Speak for yourself Berkshire , I mean Larry001. "They have all hit this article" ??

No one here is against beach restoration.

But just throwing sandbags at the problem results in the decaying mess at North end of beach. Have you seen it ?

The solution requires specialized civil engineering in beach erosion.

And the article does not include that expertise.

Yes it does. You failed to read half the article--conveniently. ;)

I think there are more positive people than negative in this world. The negative ones just are more visible, noisy and tiresome.

Live Life on Life's Terms

• Like 1

It is amazing to me to hear all the negative and naive comments about this project, what is happening to TV?

The beach is truly at an emergency low level of sand remaining and I am not an expert on beach engineering but I have been jogging the length of it regularly for the last 15 years. As much as I dislike and distrust the Mayor something must be done. Some of it does get washed away seasonally but less and less of the sand returns every year. In recent years when I run at high tide I am sometimes forced to run on the beach promenade as the water line is too high for me to get by the chair venders, yes they piss me off too but there not the cause of it. Believe it or not there are actual beach cleaners but they have a never ending battle as there is so much rubbish in sea that washes up daily, I think they do a fair job considering what they are up against.

Plenty of cities around the world have to replenish washed away sand to maintain municipal beaches and Pattaya is no different.

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it necessary to pay for sand from other beaches? Transport and work yes. I think it is unlikely to be able to get rid of the nocturnal rodents : rats. A huge problem. People going to and fro' doesn't affect them at all.

I have just returned from a visit to the UK the talk in all the papers was about Pattaya ,nothing about the curfew ,the jet ski scams ,the fact the beach is filthy or crammed with deckchairs,nothing about corruption ,prostitution or shootings ,but the headlines were "tourists are going to be flocking to Pattaya Thailand because the beach is going to be a bit wider.

• Like 1

Widened by 35m... means an additional 35 metres for more scamming deckchairs etc. Space for tourists - same same like before.

But you'll be sitting at bar improving your Thaiglish like "same same," so why should you care?