STATINS

STARGASA

Statins are available from any major pharmacy chain. The cost of the drug is dependent upon the dosing size. i.e. the standard "asian" dose of 5-10mg is less expensive than the typical western dose of 10-20mg.

Very interesting, ta

Yes, I should specify that I'm quite well built and those 3B Bestatin are 20mg tablets.

Prices can vary wildly from one pharmacy to another with the private hospital/clinic pharmacies usually being the most expensive. Pay for advice from the doctor and then check the hospital price for the medicine and buy elsewhere if needed. The same applies for blood tests etc: often much cheaper to get them done at a lab yourself and then go and see the doctor with them.

Bestatin is sold without prescription.

Bestatin seems to be the generic that is commonly prescribed and supplied here. That costs about 30B for 10 tablets (if you buy at the right pharmacy).

Cheers Kitty

I take bestatin 100 x 40mg.=320bht.use a pill cutter to cut in half.20mg. siam pharmacy korat.

in Had Yai the Save Drug shop in the Big C charges 850 Bath for 100x40mg all other med is also more expensive than in the other pharmacies in town

Is there a Thai or generic version of Crestor? I pay 1650 baht for one box of 20 x 20mg tablets.

Surely that can't be right. 1650 THB for 20 X tablets??? I pay about 1,900 THB for 100 X 20 mg. Atorvastatin (Lipitor - Pfizer) which are the most expensive of all of them. Even if I were to buy the Pfizer brand, 20 tablets would be about 1,100 THB.

Bestatin seems to be the generic that is commonly prescribed and supplied here. That costs about 30B for 10 tablets (if you buy at the right pharmacy).

Cheers Kitty

I take bestatin 100 x 40mg.=320bht.use a pill cutter to cut in half.20mg. siam pharmacy korat.

Thanks for that, is this the pharmacy in the town centre near to the lady statue ?

Is there a Thai or generic version of Crestor? I pay 1650 baht for one box of 20 x 20mg tablets.

Surely that can't be right. 1650 THB for 20 X tablets??? I pay about 1,900 THB for 100 X 20 mg. Atorvastatin (Lipitor - Pfizer) which are the most expensive of all of them. Even if I were to buy the Pfizer brand, 20 tablets would be about 1,100 THB.

Sorry, typo it should be 28 tablets i.e. 1 box with 2 strips.

Yes I pay 1,650 baht. Probably over 2,000 baht in Boots etc.

Crestor is still under patent so there is no generic version, best you can do is buy 20 mg and use a pill cutter.

EDIT. Any one taking Crestor for more than a couple of years should get an ALT (liver enzyme) check, Crestor is very very hard on the liver. I found I could reduce my Crestor intake to 5mg (pill splitter) and add ezetrol to supplement it. That keeps the cholesterol and the ALT in range, Crestor on its own in more than 10 mg causes my ALT to soar, not good.

Edited by chiang mai

Cheers Kitty

Thanks for that, is this the pharmacy in the town centre near to the lady statue ?

siam pharmacy opposite maegimheang market[sounds like that] next to the car park 044-267316

following this with interest....

I was paying 1120 baht for 28 10mg Crestor, (on Samui) for a few years now, then it jumped last month to over 1400 baht

.... Boots is and always has been higher... for some reason, they sell one strip for about 780 baht and no discount for box of two strips ... blink.png ( I would think Boots should have nation wide consistent price? )

Searching local pharmacies for alternatives... not all carry the different lower priced brands..... perhaps will ask at local hospital and see if they have!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

following this with interest....

I was paying 1120 baht for 28 10mg Crestor, (on Samui) for a few years now, then it jumped last month to over 1400 baht

.... Boots is and always has been higher... for some reason, they sell one strip for about 780 baht and no discount for box of two strips ... alt=blink.png> ( I would think Boots should have nation wide consistent price? )

Searching local pharmacies for alternatives... not all carry the different lower priced brands..... perhaps will ask at local hospital and see if they have!

I just bought a box of 20 mg Crestor for 1620 baht 28 tablets (Opposite Chulalongkon Hospital on Rama IV)

I asked about generics/copies and they showed me a box of Rosuvastatin made by Sandoz for 950 baht. I think they were 20 mg but not sure if 28 in the box. So maybe the patent is expiring?

Maybe I will try these next time.

Regarding ALT (SGPT) liver enzymes, I only check once a year and well below the limit. (I take 10 mg Crestor a day, cut 20 mg pills in half). If I changed to a cheaper statin I would probably have to have more regular checks initially. As Crestor seems to have no side effects for me I will stick with Rosuvastatin.

If it helps at all, it took me five years of fairly low dosage Crestor usage before my ALT levels went wonky, reducing the dosage from 10mg to 5mg solved the problem.

hi cm.i am going to have a cholesterol check again,the statins are giving me sore joints which is the main side affect.

20mg to 10mg.

If it helps at all, it took me five years of fairly low dosage Crestor usage before my ALT levels went wonky, reducing the dosage from 10mg to 5mg solved the problem.

hi cm.i am going to have a cholesterol check again,the statins are giving me sore joints which is the main side affect.

20mg to 10mg.

Yes, it's not uncommon. You might find that changing the type of statin will help the problem or try combining two different ones, the problem seems more acute with Crestor which is one of the more stronger ones. Good luck anyway.

Crestor never worked for me (I had the muscle pains too)... I was switched to Lipitor 20mg... then when I moved to Thailand I switched to bestatin as a cheap local alternative... but found I needed to use 40mg to maintain my levels

Crestor never worked for me (I had the muscle pains too)... I was switched to Lipitor 20mg... then when I moved to Thailand I switched to bestatin as a cheap local alternative... but found I needed to use 40mg to maintain my levels

Different stokes for different folks ... because it was the opposite for me.... I started with Lipitor.... and changed as it gave what only can be described as "wet farts" bah.gifrolleyes.gif (how else can I put that?)

Plus if I remember muscle pain too.... many years ago I forget!

Guess time to go get a check and see what else is available locally... wink.png

when in the uk before my surgery I was on 80mg.of simvastatin then after surgery 10mg.of Lipitor and enzetimide 5mg.but as I take 6 other meds.the cost was taking most of my pension,thats why I started taking bestatin.

the last check I had 2yrs.ago cholesterol was 4 so that should be ok.but I have gone back to eating pies,curries,sausages,bacon,and others that caused me to have a double by-pass and a new aota valve.

some of us will never learn but I am enjoying whats left of my time with my wife and beloved dog.i will settle for 20yrs[90]

Crestor is still under patent so there is no generic version, best you can do is buy 20 mg and use a pill cutter.

EDIT. Any one taking Crestor for more than a couple of years should get an ALT (liver enzyme) check, Crestor is very very hard on the liver. I found I could reduce my Crestor intake to 5mg (pill splitter) and add ezetrol to supplement it. That keeps the cholesterol and the ALT in range, Crestor on its own in more than 10 mg causes my ALT to soar, not good.

In general: That medicine is still under patent does not mean that there are no generic versions.

The owner of the patent can give license to other companies.

Some countries like India can "self-license" medicine under patent to help their population.

In general: That medicine is still under patent does not mean that there are no generic versions.

The owner of the patent can give license to other companies.

Some countries like India can "self-license" medicine under patent to help their population.

Let me put it differently then, no generic Crestor products are available in Thailand.

Has anyone tried giving up statins and take just niacin , it's a vitamin b3. I stopped all of my statin drugs and started taking niacin . I am now in the normal range from being in the bad range. I am taking 1 tab of 250 mgs at breakfast and 1 more after lunch, taking the slow release type and the change from bad to good was within 6 months. I have diabetes so this might work against your sugar control, that's why I do not take it after lunch.