Can Thailand keep from falling apart?

webfact

Are you happy with the public services here perhaps?

They're not bad actually. Residential bins emptied most day for example.

Here in the UK you're lucky if you see the slackers once a fortnight and God help you if something's out of position, too heavy, the wrong shape, in the wrong container or the wrong type of waste.

I pay over a grand a year for the privilege of BS thinking.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no hope as the genie is out of the bottle and the wealthy elites cant face the horrible facts of the matter and think they can bludgeon their way back into power .so its all downhill for the future .

its a stinking mess of a backward country

Amazing, isn't it, how little Erika can post an entry on Thailand's economic state and what is contributing to it without making mention of the bankrupting rice scam.

Since you are so smart and well informed, please detail Europen countries, Japan and United States subsidy systems! What exact percentage of GDP do they spend on agricultural subsidies, has it bankrupted their respective economies! Please provide a direct comparison to Thailand with facts, unless of course you are a hysterical political bullshit junkie and just want to propagate more rubbish on a program designed and operational to benefit the lowest strata of the Thai economic life!!!

Well safe to say, the Thai system has NOT bankrupted the Thai economy. Money is nor being paid because the interim govt cannot borrow it.

further in the linked article, the CNN journalist goes on to say this:

Thailand's courts, the realm of the country's elites, are notoriously stacked against Yingluck's party, and two lower courts had already made similar rulings about the 2011 personnel transfer. The Constitutional Court's verdict brought the "judicial coup" many had been expecting

which is consistent with almost all major international newspapers reporting on the issue, namely that the dismissal amounted to a judicial coup.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You don't need to know how they work all you need to know is the people get the money they are promised and here in Thailand they don't.

They are forced to borrow money and pay an interest rate on it. Some of them have to go to loan sharks and pay really high rates. Just because the government is with holding the money they said they would pay.wai.gif

if Thailand does not sort out the insane corruption then it will totally fail as it cant continue at this rate, when i first came to Thailand corruption was nothing like today approx 30% of all contracts

Thailand must feel the pain to see the light as so many just dont care and are happy living as MSG braindead slaves

Well bugger me dead! Thailand has managed 80plus years with corruption so far! The 80's and 90's saw there fair share and it ain't any worse now. So why the hysterical claim of armageddon!

Yes there has always been corruption but ever since the army stepped back it has steadily risen with the exception of the Abhist years. With a minority government he managed to stop the increase. Since he has been out of office Thaksin has been the power and the corruption rate has steadily risen.

The grass roots protestors are the people who were just watching and finally got fed up with the blatant in your face corruption we have the votes and people don't count It is all about us attitude. They started organizing into small groups that eventually became united.

The only one's backing the government now are the ones who are uneducated or business people profiting from the corruption. Well yes there is that element that will back any one if they can be violent. They are backing them also.wai.gif

You are lying. Thailand did WORSE on the corruption rankings under the Abhisit regime. That's how bad it is. It is TOTALLY out of control.

You might try a little research before posting. Posting the same message over and over again does not make it true..Your name pretty well says it all. I take it you are no longer living in Thailand.

The reason why they can't pay to the farmers is because she is a caretaker prime minister. She cannot approve the budget now as a caretaker. You see how Suthep and others threaten the banks to lend to this program. It was just all the figures. The funds were never available. The loss is still in the rice. It's part of the political game.

I've said it before, I'll say it again

READ MORE

Sent from my GT-S7270 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To answer the question that the title poses...Nope! Get the fork ready, she's about done. Social out the window, politics just a power struggle between gangs(and they are nothing more than that),the now inevitable economic collapse, and nonsensical reforms that are going to further hurt the economy. I don't think they even really understand their own country's place in the world. I have never seen a place so out of touch with reality carrying such an identity crisis. Good luck Thailand...I am outta here!!!! Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!

Well at least that's one positive to come out of all this you leaving i mean,by the way have they scratched your name into that wall over in the USA yet for your heroic exploits?

if Thailand does not sort out the insane corruption then it will totally fail as it cant continue at this rate, when i first came to Thailand corruption was nothing like today approx 30% of all contracts

Thailand must feel the pain to see the light as so many just dont care and are happy living as MSG braindead slaves

totally forgot about the MSG

that explains a lot

I must keep up to speed. So MSG is the latest TLA for Lao Khao then?

It saddens me when I encounter so many naturally smart Thais who are continually frustrated by their lack of comprehension of so many things due to their lack of education. It is especially sad because they realise it themselves, but are boxed in by circumstance.

Meanwhile, corruption is the norm everywhere but the desert rat ramped it up to an obscene level.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you happy with the public services here perhaps?

They're not bad actually. Residential bins emptied most day for example.

Here in the UK you're lucky if you see the slackers once a fortnight and God help you if something's out of position, too heavy, the wrong shape, in the wrong container or the wrong type of waste.

I pay over a grand a year for the privilege of BS thinking.

Its worse stateside.

Thailand with all her problems easily flogs the west.

Wanna bet that all the moaners here renew their annual visa next year? LOL

Thailand is quickly moving into failed state territory.

It happens. Look at history, even recent history. Countries fall down. Countries rise. Burma was the jewl of SE Asia before things went sour there. Russia fell on its face. China was poor. USA had a booming economy. And so on. Things change quickly, and now Thailand is on the way down. It wont stay there forever, but it probably won't shine again in our lifetime. The people are too divided, too uneducated, too unskilled, and unwilling to change, in addition to total corruption on ever level. This is what holds them down. Thailand should have been located in Africa, as it is on par with many nations there.

Remember when Thailand was the Asian Tiger that led the CRASH in 1997? What were the critics saying back then?

She's dead, dead, dead.

Jan 3rd, 2000, The Thaksin took the chair & the country exploded north and actually might have only ended that run May 2013.

Now her troubles might even eclipse thaose of 1997.

But she will rise again into another bullmarket that will eclipse all others.

The country is just simply too good to die the claimed ignominious death.

Some gems of Thighland are yet still undiscovered and for the most part still in their infancy.

One such gem? CHIANGMAI, God help me, but there is no place like her on earth. Talk about

value for money. She could give the valueless, mighty debt-financed-broke-to-the-bone-2 months-from -Salvation Army USA a lesson in VALUE.

Another gem? Empress Hotel Chiangmai, a 3-star hotel flogs stateside 5-stars in terms of service and value like there's no tomorrow. Even the

Choy-neeese have noticed how good it is.

YAWN

• 3 weeks later...

The military is doing a very good job so far. If they can continue like this, Thailand will be safe. It is very positive. People don't need democracy, they need positive development. The army is doing everything perfect so far. I am impressed.

Amen! Thailand Army gets a 5+ (5 being the max.) for an excellent job of keeping the peace. Had they not stepped in, who knows how much bloodshed there would have been between the

2 political parties who seemed to be more than ready for massive violence.

And dig this, western governments including the alleged next superpower (:)), the Chinese have put out all kinds of negative stuff on Thailand scaring the daylights out of would-be travelers to the Kingdom. All

exaggerations and bs to such an extent I've not seen Bangkok etc. with so few people at the airport or in the sukh area or in the hotels.

Even the taxi drivers are behaving nicely - never imagined that would ever happen.

Yeah, Thailand is #1 for living, retirement and short or long holidays.

Chiangmai consistently in the top 5 in sooooo many magazines for top 10 retirement places worldwide.

And here's a prediction:

Next year all the UK complainers (haven't noticed any other nationalities at Thaivisa - all the Americans were run off aeons ago, LOL ) here will renew their annual visa. LOL Q.E.D.

God, do I love it so! :)

There is now another LOS, this one will be henceforth called LOS-2 and Thailand LOS-1.

They be brother and sister. This LOS-2 is none other than Hawaii, esp. The Big Island.

As far as the smiles aspect of LOS-2 this is attributed strictly to the Hawaiiiiiian people.

A single hawaiiiiian walking into a room full of mainlanders can raise it from the graveyard

to sustainable life with just one greeting and that infectious smile.

LOS-1 and LOS-2 are now both my homes.

Thai waitress on the big Island in one of the

thai restaurants jumped up and kisssed me on both cheeks in a frenzy, so happy was she

to hear me greet her with "Sawat dee krap" - the owner would not accept payment from me

for the food despite my insistence. :)

Yeah baby, LOS-1 and LOS-2, they be brother and sister of such contrasting cultures but with

one thing in common - heart of warmth and kindness.

Wait till you hear the song, Waimanalo by Gaby Pahinui on the Hawaiian Airlines in flight music

splendor - blew me away

:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=nrz9tmZ9KmU