To Stay In Thailand, Questions and requests for advice and wisdom

I am 34, Disabled Veteran, soon to be also on SSDI (American) I would like to live and settle in Thailand.

1. I have guaranteed income enough to survive off of and extra (50k bt plus per month)

2. Is buying air (condo above first floor) a real option?

3. What area of Thailand is recommended, decent health care, relatively close to an airport, not yet consumed by tourist?

4. Is an Ed-Visa the best way to start?

Yes, I already know for Social Security issues and VA issues the Philippines, Manila office on Roxas is the closest point. I was married to a filippina and can say the VA system there for the most part is geared toward the WWII vets still and will change after the Korean Conflict Era pass it is sad but it is a reality there. But my basic needs and appointments are easy enough to schedule around and a couple of days there will not kill me or break my budget every 6 months.

Edited by sonnyt34

50,000 should be enough, but all depends on if you also require medical care. That can be coslty and existing conditions will not be insured.

Can't advise on where you want to live, would also depend on if you need medical care and what kind. Big cities and especially the popular tourist destinations have many private hospitals, up country you have government hospitals with a lot less specialities. Priincial capitals have better utilized government hospitals.

Close to an airport normally means Bangkok and surroundings or Chiang Mai, while places as Phuket and Samui als have an airport.

Given your age your only option is to go and study, doesn't have to be Thai language, or try to find a job.

I would rent first and see if you really want to live in this country, before buying a condo.

Your income should be enough.

I suggest you do a post on the real estate forum about the condo purchase.

There are several places with a domestic airport that have several flights a day to Bangkok that are not tourist cities (Ubon is one).

Studying Thai and getting a ED visa and then extensions of stay would be a good way to start. Learning Thai will make things much easier in the long run,

The problem you may have is finding a school to learn Thai in a non tourist city.

There is assistance for vets here see this page on embassy website, http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/service/federal-benefits-and-taxes.html

• Like 1

50,000 should be enough, but all depends on if you also require medical care. That can be coslty and existing conditions will not be insured.

Can't advise on where you want to live, would also depend on if you need medical care and what kind. Big cities and especially the popular tourist destinations have many private hospitals, up country you have government hospitals with a lot less specialities. Priincial capitals have better utilized government hospitals.

Close to an airport normally means Bangkok and surroundings or Chiang Mai, while places as Phuket and Samui als have an airport.

Given your age your only option is to go and study, doesn't have to be Thai language, or try to find a job.

I would rent first and see if you really want to live in this country, before buying a condo.

My health issues are mainly just maintenance on 2 slipped vertebrae right now they are managed pretty well but in a few years I may be in for more complications as well as arthroscopic surgery in a few years on my knees. As I stated though the VA will ultimately cover those.