Australia Network contract cancelled

webfact

As far as I am aware, as of late 2013, you had to be resident in Australia for 2 years, continuous, before being able to apply for the age pension. Once you had the pension, you could then leave Australia, permanently, if you wished, and still get the pension.

However, one of my former students, who works in the Commonweath Public Service in Canberra, informed me that she was aware of a position paper prepared earlier this year for the Abbott Government on the expected savings of denying age and veteran persions to Australian citizens living overseas. But I was not told of the deliberations and conclusions of this paper, or whether any action has been taken.

Off topic, but not so. If you return to Oz and comply with Australian residency criteria and other eligibility requirements you can be granted Aged Pension. Two years residency after receipt of Aged Pension applies in some circumstances, not all, if you wish to permantly depart Australia and require payment when living overseas.; there are other details that you can reseach at:

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/services/centrelink/age-pension

The issue of denying Aged Pension if living overseas has previously been reviewed and was not enacted. Just maybe prior to the next election it may again be reviewed.

Australian foreign aid funding has been slashed by A$7.6 billion over the next five years

Doesn't a lot of the savings come from Australia not increasing it's spending on foreign aid to 0.5% of GDP as promised by the previous Labor Government (with the then opposition agreeing)?

Though I note that "Australia has international obligations under the Millennium Development Goals to spend 0.7 per cent of Gross National Income on effective aid by 2020".

Generous enough ... "Australian foreign aid will be capped at $5 billion over the next two financial years" ... that's $220 from every man, woman and child in Australia.

"Savings in the Australian aid budget have also been found by reversing the decisions to join the African Development Bank Group and the International Fund for Agricultural Development"

"Quotes"

Thanks for the answers to my question about pensions. I do appreciate it. But good God I wouldn't dream of living in Australia. I would never be so well off as I am here. I am very happy living in France and Europe with my 4-5 months in CM. It was my niece - a born and bred Aussie (the only country on God's earth - didn't you know!) who has this problem. I just didn't believe her - that's all.

• Like 1

In my earlier post I talked about the AFL broadcast from the internet at the official site. http://watchafl.afl.com.au/ I mentioned that at $25 US per month it was expensive for coverage that was very ordinary in picture quality.

Now letting anyone interested to know that they have just upgraded to HD for a much improved picture quality!

Further, my experience is that the best browser for watching out of Firefox, chrome and Explorer is Windows explorer. The reasonable explanation for me is that the new Explorer has built in Flash which operates better and helps eliminate video lagging.

What a joke Murdoch out of money !!

Austrialia network has some good doku, for me Australia language is more easy and clear to understand then some Brit city slang because talk slowly !

The graphical animation of weather forecast looks like Stone Age for me comparing to German tv

AN was pretty ordinary to be honest.

Apart from the news and current affairs it was quite dated.

Having said that, I will miss the AFL broadcasts.

I don't have fast enough (aircard) internet to stream so I hope

another broadcaster picks it up.

" AN was pretty ordinary to be honest.

Apart from the news and current affairs it was quite dated."blink.png

It is unfortunate that you say something like that because Australia Network gave us the opportunity while living in Asia to still be able to see brilliant television series such as “ Tangle “and “ The Time of our Lives “ and “Sea change “ with first class performers like Justine Clarke and Ben Mendelsohn. I am very sad that we will no longer be able to tune into these kinds of dramas.

I considered these series to be far more entertaining than some of the sensational noisy crap you get in the cinemas these says, some of which I wouldn't even go to see even if you paid for my ticket.bah.gif

Plus there were no bloody commercials on Australia Network which even the BBC can no longer resist showing !

Edited by midas

It is unfortunate that you say something like that because Australia Network gave us the opportunity while living in Asia to still be able to see brilliant television series such as “ Tangle “and “ The Time of our Lives “ and “Sea change “ with first class performers like Justine Clarke and Ben Mendelsohn. I am very sad that we will no longer be able to tune into these kinds of dramas.

I considered these series to be far more entertaining than some of the sensational noisy crap you get in the cinemas these says, some of which I wouldn't even go to see even if you paid for my ticket.bah.gif

Plus there were no bloody commercials on Australia Network which even the BBC can no longer resist showing !

As said, it was pretty ordinary, and I don't know about having no ads. Always property spruikers when I tuned in. But then again, I was always catching the wiggles and repeats of home and away. It was pretty dire. Except the football. But I'm not so sure why taxpayers needed to subsidize a bunch of expats to watch AFL.

ABC iView more than makes up for the loss of AN. It is excellent.

• 4 months later...

it has just changed names

Edited by Asiantravel