Where to buy fish to stck my pond

ericpasansai

My advice is, whatever you do, do not buy aquarium or pond fish from a market.

I too have a pond and learned some harsh lessons in the past. Most of these fish bought at markets have internal injuries because they are literally thrown about in the plastic bags that the vendors store them in and very few recover. Also a high percentage of the fish at markets have diseases. I once made the huge mistake by introduction a few market fish into my pond with all my other fish and within 2 weeks all my fish were wiped out.

bought some Striped Catfish (Pangasianodon Hypophthalmus) from chaing mai gate market front of the alley at the end closest to seven-eleven/ lotus mini.that would be the eastern end of the market. they stayed alive in various containers over a week or two in my room released them in drabs in various locations. not even one died before release, all healthy swimming vigorously. they had the usual common freshwater fish there. just a small operation so more expensive per fish. wasnt recently. but if your are nearby worth a look to see if still there.

Edited by daewruca

erratta: western end of the market

i think dyslexic senility is approachingbiggrin.png .

looking at your pond it looks muddy so catfish of various types would be preferable to plankton feeder like tilapia, barbs. could also try crayfish shrimp or even ducks.

even a little aeration or tiny wave generation in the absence of any wind, make a noticeable improvement in supportable stocking density

Edited by daewruca

Alternatively there are lots of shells and silver fish about 4-5" long. If I bought fish food and fed them to allow natural inhabitants to thrive. I believe it's been years and years since the pond has had any attention it took weeks to bring the land back for a jungle. Rose apples, jack fruit and mangoes have fallen into the pond for decades

My advice is, whatever you do, do not buy aquarium or pond fish from a market.

I too have a pond and learned some harsh lessons in the past. Most of these fish bought at markets have internal injuries because they are literally thrown about in the plastic bags that the vendors store them in and very few recover. Also a high percentage of the fish at markets have diseases. I once made the huge mistake by introduction a few market fish into my pond with all my other fish and within 2 weeks all my fish were wiped out.

Makes little difference where you buy fish from, Markets, Breaders or Fish Farms, you should never just add them to your pond.

All fish I put in a holding tank for 7 days, add antibiotic to the water, for 3 days do nothing and No food just check non have died. day 4 change water every day add Bio Knock everyday, add food every day, on day 8 if they have been all fine for past 3 days then add to my Pond.. if all do not look OK then add more antibiotic and repeat for another 5 - 7 days

I only have Koi. also both my holding tanks have air pumps and filter systems.....

If you live in the Tasala district, there are a couple of retailers outside BigC, near the 180 degree tunnel. There are also some dealers just before Nong Buak Hard Public Park inside the moat.

Edit..Always quarantine any new fish before adding to existing stock to be on the safe side.

Edited by rawhod