Guess That Tool with krisb...

krisb

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^ I'm not so sure ... we'll wait for Kris.

BTW ... I have to say, I studied 'Manual Arts' (Metalwork and Woodwork) as School ... even at a Senior level.

We got to do all kind of cool things.

The nicest thing I ever saw made a wooden canoe.

Made from a skeleton over which the guy first laid a series of 1 inch wide timber strips (really thin).

Then applied glue and ran a second course at 90o to the first.

Then varnished.

Prettiest peice of woodwork I've seen (at that level)

Sort of looked like this ... and light as

20.JPG

When the TWINS are older, I hope we spend ages in the garage and the 3 of us can make something like this then take it out on a Lake and the boys can teach me how to fish ... I know nothing about fishing ... facepalm.gif

That's a Canadian style canoe ... spent a lot of time in those ones.

Usually 2 paddlers and either a passenger or cargo in the middle.

• Like 2

Nice. This design is quite delicate but very light, I guess. Initially I thought you meant a canoe carved from one giant tree, for which you need a whole team to launch.

Last time I went out in a rowing boat, I found myself baling for my life as a fine day abruptly changed into a deluge never seen before... facepalm.gif

Yes, I do ... the whole tree.

Usually I seen them use both a 'shaver' and something like a mattox for holing out the guts.

The post above is just what I saw being made at school.

Kris must be busy plastering ATM.

Plus it's a Friday and 5pm so maybe he is ... drunk.gif

• Like 2

Ok gents...contestants...friends...

David is right, krsb was having a beer with his boss. A guy who could write a book on dealing with stress. Not sure how he does it...alcohol.

Anyways...

The tool is in fact a wooden shingle maker.

Wow!

Not many skilled tradesman around these days who would be handy with one of those in their hands.

• Like 1

They look like numbers, so I would guess it will be used by Thai Immigration at border crossings to stamp unique numbers on foreigners foreheads for tracking purposes.

(Do not know its real use)

• Like 1

OK, I'll kick it off.

First off I thought it would be for 'stamping' something, thus leaving an indent.

But, notice the paint is still on the raised number meaning that only the surface of the number only comes in contact with the surface of what it touches.

Let me ponder it further.

There are 13 stamps.

They are not sequential. 2, 4, 3, 5 from what we can see.

Maybe there are also 3 letters to make up the 13

Maybe - A, B, C, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Or - + $ and the numbers ... just guessing.

It's not heated because the paint is still on the tool.

Kris ... maybe a clue?

BTW ... nice guess ThaiDown above ... I didn't know it.

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

Edited by David48

My thinking on this one, is that its a hand tool, but at first glance you would expect the handle to be an axle of some nature.

The numbers are pressed manually not hot with hammer as the other numbers would be be damaged.

So I conclude its used during the curing process of concrete kerb manufacture and they press in batch numbers or sequence numbers for the installation.

The other three characters maybe lbs denoting the weight maybe., such as being pressed into molten steel rsj

No idea hahaha

• Like 1

It is a stamping tool, you are on the right path there. Little hard to give a clue, if no ones guessed the industry that uses it by later today, I'll give the answer.

Yep ThaidDown must be from the UK right?

Us Aussies would never guess the last tool.

Well, since there's only a small number having a guess, I may as well tell you what this is!...exciting stuff isn't it!

It is used by the lumber guys to stamp tree trunks after they fell them. A way to identify their own logs.

• Like 2

Sorry guys, fair guesses, but that's not it.

Then again it could be, I am not 100% certain of it's exact use, but those that would use it likely wouldn't be changing over spark plugs.