Hua Hin land prices... Shaking my head here.

thelongshoot

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^...wow....hissy fit at not being able to buy a block of land for a discount of current market prices....

Please tell me where these discounts are to be had?

My biggest regret, not being able to buy four rai for 1 million baht, thats only because the names listed on the chanot in the pawn shop couldnt agree a price.

Plot above still not sold, price increased for interested buyers.

Other than the rate of appreciation the cost of land 10 yrs ago is not relevant today. There is not the same abundance of land in Thailand as in the swamps of Florida. If price is a factor look where land is cheap, ranting will not change the market value.

not sure where you get your prices from OP......  it took one minute to see 1 rai on soi 112 for 1.4 million

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/real-estate/land-for-rent-or-sale/3-plots-of-land-1-rai-each-for-sale-in-hua-hin-soi-112-275858.html

Nor Sor 3, always cheaper than Chanote and not really worth bothering with unless desperate or the only option like KPG.

I agree with the OP in that land prices are crazy here, especially compared to 10 years ago when we came.  I wish I had been one of the smart ones who bought lots back then, but as they say, hindsight is 20-20, however if I had known what was going to happen to Hua Hin in ten years I would have looked for another place to settle and build a home. 

When I retired there were few foreigners living here and few tourists had even heard of Hua Hin and that's one of the things we liked about it.  It started growing at a rapid rate within a year after I moved here and I think a good part of that was due to the Tsunami which got people looking farther afield (from the southern beaches) for a place to live and holiday.  That seems to be when Hua Hin was truly "discovered" by most of Europe.

Back then, we could have had nice building plot on Soi 94 for 1 million, the same which is going for between 10 and 20 million today.  That is a crazy land price rise in that amount of time.  We wanted a bigger plot so we bought 2 rai betweem Soi 114 and 116 (which was undeveloped countryside then) for 1.5 million.  Now that area is built up with homes and land starts at 6 million per rai, so about an 800% increase in ten years.  I have lived in quite a few places including Silicon Valley in California and Boca Raton, Florida and I've never seen land/housing prices rise at a rate like that.

We were looking recently for a rai of land outside of town but on the east side of the bypass and could find nothing for 1 million per rai.  We did end up finding a good deal (in today's market) for 1 million for a lot a bit less than a rai but we looked for a long time to find it.

• Like 2

Above ^^^^^ so true.

I remember visiting Hua Hin in either 2001 or 2003, at the time I could have bought a brand new house on 100 tw on a brand new estate.

House price, 1.5 million, land price 500,000 baht, total cost 2 million baht, in pommie peso money at the time, 30 thousand pounds.

Today the same house will cost at least 7.5 million, or 150,000 pounds.

In the interim HH has grown beyond all recognition, guess the property developers have cleaned up and moved on elsewhere to the Eastern sea board, and the traffic problems as yet remain unresolved.

• Like 1

I understand what the original poster is getting at .......prices are crazy in central Hua Hin but many crazy prices in the out skirts too like Borfai,Takiab,up soi 102,up 94,88 etc.

High prices has got nothing to do with Farangs buying land in Hua Hin because 99% is bought by Thais and mainly the Bangkokians..go to the land office and you will hardly see any Farang each day. All the main tourist towns of which Hua Hin is one although not near the top then all land prices crazy. i also see many businesses for sale at crazy prices...you couldnt get your money back in 30 years(hotels/apartments/restaurants freehold etc) and would have to work/watch it to even nearly make it work or get money back but there are some crazy people out there and many super rich who dont care whether they make money or not..they just want it whether it be a business or land.All the cheap land has been bought up for a few years already and now people wont sell it for even 100% profit in a few years ,they seem  to want a lot more and thats there choice.

I also dont really understand the  poor Thais who wont sell there prime land even they dont have any money and live from day to day and dont use the land etc so why not sell it,buy a piece a few km away and still do same thing everyday but have millions in the bank.I have seen many plots near the sea/beach around Thailand where there is a shack on piece of land worth millions but they not interested to sell........they could buy a bigger bit of land and live a life of luxury.......i mean i would..wouldnt you???? they dont even go to the beach most of these people on these plots.....anyway i digress...........land for 1 million to 2 million is aprox 10 to 15km from centre of Hua Hin whether it be towards or in Pranburi or towards Cha Am or west towards the bypass and the cheaper land prices tend not to be on a concrete road or have electric water on site so there will be the expense of bringing in those services so that actually brings the price up of the plot as will need to at least get electric there and water drilling is quite expensive too......obviously no internet direct line.

Also depends on how desperate someone is to sell as to the price........if they want 4 million a rai up soi 6 then they obviously not looking for a quick sale but if they actually need the money then you would find plots nearer a reasonable price of 1.5 to 2.5 million a rai(not direct on main soi but not far off.

Also what i find a bit crazy is the prices of some small plots for sale within say 5km of town center.....3 to 4 million minimum for say 50 to 60 tw ,you cant even really build anything with a reasonable house size wise on a plot that size and house build would cost only half the price of the land but would still make it say 5 million up cost wise for a small 2 bedroom bungalow which aint walking distance to the sea or town centre......i say buy some land a bit out of town for around 1.5 million and you will get  200 tw up and can build a nice house ,have some space still and can afford a car/gas to go into town when need be.

DONT PAY THE CRAZY PRICES!!!!..leave that to the Thai rich or just rent forever if you find nice house at good price near town,there may be some bargain houses for sale sometimes which will save the hassle of getting a house built which is another headache/stress that you wont like believe me.

• Like 1

This can be said for much of Thailand with Isaan included.  Absolutely ridiculous prices atop a bubble that will soon burst.  Someone gets it in their head to ask a ridiculous amount then sit on it forever.

Bubble burst ? Land bubbles never burst. look at your own home country, wherever that may be, and look at the price of land 10 - 15 years ago and today.

I don't speak about real estate, however almost the same rules apply, but land never decrease in value because there is every day less available.

Both my land and properties in the West have lost value since both 2004 and 1999 - 10 and 15 years ago.

• Like 1

For those who suggest land & property prices only go up, have a look what happened to prices after the Asian crisis 1997 in Thailand or to property prices in the US or Spain in 2008. History tella you otherwise

**In the long run**, they only go up, interspersed with limited periods of pull-backs.

As long as you have a growing population, land will definitely remain in demand.

Both my land and properties in the West have lost value since both 2004 and 1999 - 10 and 15 years ago.

In which country & region(s) are they located?

This can be said for much of Thailand with Isaan included.  Absolutely ridiculous prices atop a bubble that will soon burst.  Someone gets it in their head to ask a ridiculous amount then sit on it forever.

Bubble burst ? Land bubbles never burst. look at your own home country, wherever that may be, and look at the price of land 10 - 15 years ago and today.

I don't speak about real estate, however almost the same rules apply, but land never decrease in value because there is every day less available.

Not necessarily true. For example, in our area of coastal Florida, undeveloped quarter acre lots were selling for 30K in 2005. Nine years later, these same lots are now selling for 8K, mostly due to low demand and the overall economy.

And that's a fact Dave.

It is a South East Asian phenomena. It is the same in Vietnam and, to a little lesser extent, here in Cambodia. In HCMC or Ha Noi, land prices are higher that in Paris, London or Tokyo. At the same time, rents are ridiculously low. Experts have been saying this bubble will burst soon. For 15 years......

When I lived in Ha Noi 20 years ago, I could have bought the land and house I lived in for USD 60,000. Didn't have the money back then, the place today is probably worth a couple of Million!

• Like 1

Try the Land Bank in Prachuap Kiri Khan

Could someone please give me more info on it? Actually, what is it?

The Land bank is a selling agent for land and properties, mostly repossessed on debt.
  • Like 1

The Land bank is a selling agent for land and properties, mostly repossessed on debt.

Every Thai-Bank of any significance has a website with a "land for sale" section. Mostly repossessions. Sometimes only in Thai language, but I am sure Thai wife can translate. After all it will be in her name anyway after the deal is done.

Advantage: Generally, if a property can not be sold within 2 to 3 months, price will be reduced. Also: It's land with proper land title (otherwise Bank would not have granted a loan in the first place.)

By using this approach, one can still find properties reasonably priced.

Of course, if Thai-Wife insists on buying from a real-estate agent that has his "office" conveniently located next to the reception-desk in a Farang Hotel, then......................ah well. Nuff said.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Every Thai-Bank of any significance has a website with a "land for sale" section. Mostly repossessions. Sometimes only in Thai language, but I am sure Thai wife can translate. After all it will be in her name anyway after the deal is done.

Advantage: Generally, if a property can not be sold within 2 to 3 months, price will be reduced. Also: It's land with proper land title (otherwise Bank would not have granted a loan in the first place.)

Of course, if Thai-Wife insists on buying from a real-estate agent that has his "office" conveniently located next to the reception-desk in a Farang Hotel, then......................ah well. Nuff said.

Cheers.

It's funny how many people on TV put 10 million baht land in there missus name but wouldn't let there mate a 10ner as per the thread the other day.
  • Like 1

Cheers.

Yes, all banks have land and property for sale, the difference with the land banks is that they act for all banks and brokers, so a much bigger choice and the staff a specifically trained and very helpfully. My wife has bought quite a few plots and three unfinished houses with them

Cheers.

Yes, all banks have land and property for sale, the difference with the land banks is that they act for all banks and brokers, so a much bigger choice and the staff a specifically trained and very helpfully. My wife has bought quite a few plots and three unfinished houses with them

Covers my post above. Most educated Thai-Ladies are not unfamiliar with the option "Land-Bank/Commercial Banks".

BUT: It is usually the aim of a Thai-Lady to convince the Farang to erect his mansion somewhere in a dark corner of the isaan on "Family-Land". Oftentimes the land has inferior land-title or none at all. After the mansion is built, the Farang usually finds out about those "petty little details". Happy investing.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
Ibought a rai 4 months ago for 1.5 mill the block ,behind is for sale for 1.7 i am 8 km from centre of hua hin...near orchid palms and lees resort and smart house developments....my builder has 4 times 1rai blocks for sale in same area...i found mine by asking at mom and pop stores...they almost always new of land for sale

Cheers.

In fact this can be one of the most expensive ways to buy. The thought its a repossesion the price will be low is incorrect. Prices are almost always higher and the bank will make purchaser pay all transfer fees/taxes rather than a private sale of50/50 split. Believe me, I have trawled these websites for over 5 years and am yet to see anything reasonably priced, let alone a bargain

Cheers.

In fact this can be one of the most expensive ways to buy. The thought its a repossesion the price will be low is incorrect. Prices are almost always higher and the bank will make purchaser pay all transfer fees/taxes rather than a private sale of50/50 split. Believe me, I have trawled these websites for over 5 years and am yet to see anything reasonably priced, let alone a bargain

can you post some links PattayaPhom so that we can take a look?

but I genuinely dont understand why people are paying these prices.  Thats all I am saying, as simple as that.[/quote]

But dude... ARE people paying these prices?? Only in the sellers dreams...

I've been here sometime myself and the same ludicrously priced pieces of land are still for sale at that "joke of a" price...

Som nom Naa to them for taking on that Thai style of thinking "farang jai dai"...

At the end of the day, those greedy type of people will hardly drop the price but would rather just sit on it and wait until the time comes when it IS actually worth what they're asking... But in the meantime I'm sure they make regular visits to the temple to pray for some "dumber" to come along :)

On the other hand, I advise you to ask your spouse to go to the land office to ask them for the value of the land in the area you're interested in.
All land offices will do that for you... There is such a thing as a "tariff" of land prices in Thailand and that goes for everywhere, whether it's Phuket or Phetchabun...

Not sure what you are referring to. But my experience has been that reposessed properties/land that are listed by the government are usually quite reasonable. Often the starting price for auction is about 25-30% below market.
Also you can contact the bank or previous owner whether they would be prepared to make a deal rather than going through the auction process. Often you can get an aditonal discount of to the starting price of the auction. Both the bank and the previous owner are usually interested to make a deal rather than going through the auction process.

happy to provide more if anyone is interested. I was able to purchase 1 property and 2 piecea of land that way in different provinces in Thailand.

I'm referring to the OP's question...?
Hence why I included the text I was responding to... It's how forums work dude...?

I'm repeating myself here...
But I'll put it in layman's terms of you... The land office know what a particular area is worth with respect to location, quality of soil and utilities available.
They set the price as a benxpchmark, its up to the owner if they want to take the Michael Bliss or not...

I don't speak about real estate, however almost the same rules apply, but land never decrease in value because there is every day less available.[/quote]

Ahem... I can take you to a few places in the UK that are overrun by a certain group of people and yes! The real estate HAS depreciated there...
But that's all going to change when we/UKIP take our country back ;) the bubble will burst :D Edited by Porkster