Surachai: Don't Let Laws Impede Ability To Solve Thai Crisis

Lite Beer

Surachai: Don't Let Laws Impede Ability To Solve Thai Crisis

By Khaosod Eng.

14001595711400159636l.jpg

BANGKOK — Senate Speaker Surachai Liangboonlertchai has insisted that solutions to the ongoing political crisis not be restricted by legal boundaries.

"Legal experts should not try to use the laws to reject solutions offered by any side," Mr. Surachai said after a meeting with university rectors to discuss ways out of Thailand's protracted political conflict.

"It will turn laws into shackles for this country," Mr. Surachai said.

In the past week, the Senate Speaker has held a series of meetings with different agencies and organisations, seeking input on how to reconcile the political conflict that pits the embattled government of acting Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongphaisarn against anti-government protesters and their backers in the establishment.

Reporters were not allowed to observe today’s meeting with university rectors at the National Institute of Development Administration (NIDA), but according to Mr. Surachai, the discussion was "highly beneficial" to the Senate’s effort to resolve the country's turmoil.

Mahidol University Rector Ratchata Ratchatanawin told reporters that he and other rectors told Mr. Surachai that Thailand needs a new government that can exercise its power fully, because the current caretaker government's limited power has caused the nation to "almost grind to a halt," further escalating the violence.

However, Mr. Ratchata stressed that the "new government" has to be formed in a constitutional manner.

"The discussion today did not bring up any method that is above the constitution," Mr. Ratchata said.

Rectors from 21 universities across Thailand attended the forum with Mr. Surachai today, while five universities refused to send any delegates.

After the meeting, Mr. Surachai asked the media not to "mislead" the public by claiming that he has already lent his support to anti-government protesters' demand for a "neutral" PM to be appointed by the Senate and approved by His Majesty the King under Article 7 of the Constitution.

"The public should know that we do not work with any bias or sympathy for any political side. Although the people have different opinions, they are still the people of Thailand all the same," Mr. Surachai said. "Therefore, the Senate has to take care of all sides, in order to bring our country back to a happy peace."

Governmental officials and pro-government supporters have dismissed the proposal to appoint a new, unelected PM as a violation of the Constitution.

Mr. Surachai added that he still hopes the government and the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) will take part in the Senate's discussions.

The UDD has boycotted the Senate's 'discussion tour,’ denouncing it as a masked attempt to legitimise anti-government protesters' demands for an unelected PM. Acting PM Niwatthamrong has said he will only meet with Mr. Surachai in a separate, informal meeting.

The ruling Pheu Thai Party has also released a statement criticising the effort by Mr. Surachai to present himself as a mediator to the current conflict, noting that Mr. Surachai has no legal power to convene a Senate meeting to vote on any matter.

The statement denounces any attempt by the Senate to pave the way for an appointment of an unelected Prime Minister as unconstitutional, and repeated Pheu Thai's calls for the next election to be arranged as soon as possible.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1400159571&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-05-15

I suspect the headline is a bit misleading for what he appears to be saying is that so far no matter what anyone has proposed there are others who are going out of their way to find legal loopholes to denounce any proposals without ever putting forward anything positive themselves.

In other words making no attempt to actually help solve the problem rather using negativity to prevent any progress.

It would appear that there are laws or parts of the constitution that contradict each other or have to be read in conjunction with others and it will always be possible to incorrectly use these to counter any proposals that don't suite the agenda of a party.

It is going to need all sides to have a will to find a way out of this mess otherwise it will only degenerate farther into more death and destruction.

• Like 2

The problem when people start bending the law is that both sides quickly decide to play the same game and there is a descent into chaos. My hunch is that, notwithstanding its frequent use of the courts, the traditional elite actually favours a kind of unwritten constitution based on ideas about monarchy, Buddhism, hierarchy and a particular conception of Thainess. When push comes to shove, these ideas trump the provisions of the constitution.

• Like 2

As with the EC yesterday which I read between the lines on and was proved right this evening.... the agencies are one by one backing away from Suthep faster than a rich Amart in a Ferrari who has just run over a monk.

EC just outright said they want to hold a peacful election. Was this that had Suthep storming off yesterday!!

Senate now seem a mile away from anything that would please the old fascist.

Army not keen (well not as a unified army) so where does this leave him.

Suthep now saying on stage he wants elections!!! With outrageous conditions of course, but I think he is starting to feel the drift of the Institutions away from his dream of being supremo.

The problem when people start bending the law is that both sides quickly decide to play the same game and there is a descent into chaos. My hunch is that, notwithstanding its frequent use of the courts, the traditional elite actually favours a kind of unwritten constitution based on ideas about monarchy, Buddhism, hierarchy and a particular conception of Thainess. When push comes to shove, these ideas trump the provisions of the constitution.

The problem when people start bending the law is that both sides quickly decide to play the same game and there is a descent into chaos.

This is a certainty.

My hunch is that, notwithstanding its frequent use of the courts, the traditional elite actually favours a kind of unwritten constitution based on ideas about monarchy, Buddhism, hierarchy and a particular conception of Thainess. When push comes to shove, these ideas trump the provisions of the constitution.

Well then, maybe part of the original problem stems from trying to force a purely Western style democracy into such a deep culture all at once. Having lived here a really long time, I find nothing wrong with their ideas of monarchy, Buddhism, hierarchy (as in their system of respect for age, wisdom, teaching, family, etc) or their culture of Thainess. In fact it is one of the greatest gifts I ever received. For one, it taught me that many of my own ideas were little more than my own cultural bias. Of course I had already traveled many places before, so I already suspected that.

Eventually some form of democracy is the only way for humans to live, but maybe there is more than one way to go.

"It will turn laws into shackles for this country," Mr. Surachai said.

It is the laws that exist, but which are NOT implemented by the law enforcers, or rather are 'bent' by said law enforcers, which are the exact shackles of this country.

Such could not be explained more simply, me thinks. ???

So that's a confession.

He admits he's doing something illegal and insists the laws should be ignored. Terrific, it will make prosecuting him a lot easier, and any court that rejects the prosecution will look corrupt by virtue of his own words.

If any of the independent agencies choose to side with him, they will be accomplicies to his crime.

Once again, he is not the Senate Speaker, he is the acting speaker.

He has not been approved and should not be seeking a Section 7, they've already been told not to ask for.

He will not be approved because he told the Senate to ignore the limits on the Senate Decree, and have a vote for a new speaker (which was him). This is flatly illegal.

This is not the Senate meeting, its a group of Senators, almost all appointees. If they present themselves as the Senate they are imposters.

NIDA, you know from it's polls so if you see some odd anti democracy poll results in the coming days don't be surprised.

Of course the one thing they're all desperate to avoid is that we have an elections and choose a Prime Minister, the only legal democratic solution here, and one this partisan appointee is so desperate to avoid.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

Wasn't it the breaking of these laws that got Yingluck booted from office, but now he's asking. For the laws not to get in the way of the impasse ?

I'm sure someone possibly scamper said the senate was there for checks and balances and impartial and not be politically " motivated" ??

Seems this guy is very politically " motivated "

"Mr. Surachai added that he still hopes the government and the United Front of Democracy Against Dictatorship (UDD) will take part in the Senate's discussions."

• Like 1

So that's a confession.

He admits he's doing something illegal and insists the laws should be ignored. Terrific, it will make prosecuting him a lot easier, and any court that rejects the prosecution will look corrupt by virtue of his own words.

If any of the independent agencies choose to side with him, they will be accomplicies to his crime.

He has not been approved and should not be seeking a Section 7, they've already been told not to ask for.

He will not be approved because he told the Senate to ignore the limits on the Senate Decree, and have a vote for a new speaker (which was him). This is flatly illegal.

This is not the Senate meeting, its a group of Senators, almost all appointees. If they present themselves as the Senate they are imposters.

NIDA, you know from it's polls so if you see some odd anti democracy poll results in the coming days don't be surprised.

Of course the one thing they're all desperate to avoid is that we have an elections and choose a Prime Minister, the only legal democratic solution here, and one this partisan appointee is so desperate to avoid.

"He admits he's doing something illegal and insists the laws should be ignored."

Where did he say this, my dear Bluenosecodger?

OP:

""Legal experts should not try to use the laws to reject solutions offered by any side," Mr. Surachai said after a meeting with university rectors to discuss ways out of Thailand's protracted political conflict.

"It will turn laws into shackles for this country," Mr. Surachai said."

Wasn't it the breaking of these laws that got Yingluck booted from office, but now he's asking. For the laws not to get in the way of the impasse ?

I'm sure someone possibly scamper said the senate was there for checks and balances and impartial and not be politically " motivated" ??

Seems this guy is very politically " motivated "

So for you it is the same to brake the law to give a relative a good job

and

to find some solution outside the normal legal framework to prevent a disaster for the country, which could be even civil war?

Don't forget the USA broke the law when it got independent from England....

• Like 1

Don't Let Laws Impede Ability To Solve Thai Crisis

Isn't this what the government did with the amnesty bill and the election of senators. I think the court found this illegal.

Since you ask, no it wasn't.

The blanket amnesty bill which even included Thaksin's last two years in/out of office and Ms. Yinglucks first two years only created a crisis.

• Like 2

So that's a confession.

"He admits he's doing something illegal and insists the laws should be ignored."

Where did he say this, my dear Bluenosecodger?

OP:

""Legal experts should not try to use the laws to reject solutions offered by any side," Mr. Surachai said after a meeting with university rectors to discuss ways out of Thailand's protracted political conflict.

"It will turn laws into shackles for this country," Mr. Surachai said."

i.e. the substantive points are the same.

Don't Let Laws Impede Ability To Solve Thai Crisis

Isn't this what the government did with the amnesty bill and the election of senators. I think the court found this illegal.

So giving yourself amnesty for crimes and helping the country to move forward is the same for you?

• Like 2

When you think you are right then of course laws shouldn't apply ... This sums up the entire reason why there is always so much political instability and conflict here.

Beg to differ the PTP don't think they are right they just don't care.

Here's another Thai crackpot who believes that law and order is meaningless and something to be sidestepped and/or chucked out. His crackpot thinking is the root cause of the Thai conflict.

And this is the head of the senate..just consider that for a moment.