International Driving Licence

My international driving permit has expired.

Any idea how i can get another without going back to the UK?

I really don't want to go all that way just to renew my licence.

Any help appreciated.

PS. I have a full valid UK licence.

Edited by MartinBKK

Locate the AA website and follow the links to IDP. Print out the application form. Mail it with a Sterling cheque to cover airmail postage and have it mailed to your Thai address.

quote name='MartinBKK' date='2006-06-14 04:38:57' post='780642']

My international driving permit has expired.

Any idea how i can get another without going back to the UK?

I really don't want to go all that way just to renew my licence.

Any help appreciated.

PS. I have a full valid UK licence.

If you live in Thailand, your IDP will not be legally valid.

So just take your UK-lience and get a Thai one, which is quite easy. Needs eye- and reaction test.

Once you have the Thai licence you can get an IDP in Thailand to drive legally abraod.

Several (two) people I know have managed to get Thai licences WITHOUT having an IDP and WITHOUT having to do the driving test (just eye and reaction checks). One of these chaps still had the old UK "green bit of paper" licence. :o

AFAIK these were both obtained at the MorChit land transport office.

To our OP, get a Thai licence, particularly if you are driving a non-hired vehicle. A significant number of insurance companies have a clause stating that you must have a 'proper' (ie Thai) licence in order for cover to operate. Of course you only find this out when you have a shunt.

Beware..

An IDP is a legal document that will allow you to drive in Thailand and be legal.

An IDL (international driving licence) is a translated document that you can purchase for a couple of bucks online and is not really legal (but works in waving at a copper) they are supposed to be carried with your home country licence and provide a local translation of it.. IDL's can be got in false names etc easily as the companies dont really care and can come for up to 10 years. The IDL has been a common 'trick' that profits from the confusion and lack of understanding in the law of both officers on the ground and the general public.

The Thai driving licence should only be given to an IDP holder if no test is taken.. I managed to flim flam and confuse them at the Phuket office but it took 2 hours of hanging around to then convince them my IDL was an IDP.. I doubt phuket branch would have accepted a UK licence as the clearly had mock ups of what an IDP looked like.

I know have my UK, an american, multiple expired IDP's, a 10 year IDL and my Thai bike and car.. Reckon thats enough for now.

Crossy is absolutely correct on this point. You really need a Thai license to be covered by insurance. If you have a valid UK license and an IDP (from the UK) you can get a Thai license by showing your non-Imm status, a health check and a Thai residence proof. They also give you a color blind test.

Take the Thai Driving Test.

Not only is it a piece of p*ss, but you will get hours of entertainment in the pub telling everyone about it!

I loved the bit where I hired a car for 10 minutes for 70thb to drive around the Legoland track they have there. Especially entertaining was following a beautiful Thai nymph who hit every bollard only to be in front of me at the end of the test smiling her pretty little head off waving her newly-found freedom - license - in her hand!

In agremment with the above posters, I also believe it to be a far stronger document than anything from the UK.

Ok thanks to everyone so far for the help. I have posted off my application for an IDP today.

I do live in Thailand at the moment however i do monthly visa runs. I also do not have a work permit. I am not looking to invest in Thailand i only want to reside here for the time being i have no idea for how long.

If i want to purchase and drive a car here what are my options? Can i obtain a Thai license without a long term visa and work permit? Do i need a Thai license or would i be able to purchase and drive a car legally with an IDP?

I'd be grateful if you could advise my options.

Many thanks.

I live in the uk and I am a top grade driving instructor.I drive on an international licence when I visit.I am badly colour blind which does not count in the uk.If I took up residence in Thailand and wanted a thai licence, would showing an instuctors licence get away with it and a few baht in someones hand

Ok thanks to everyone so far for the help. I have posted off my application for an IDP today.

I do live in Thailand at the moment however i do monthly visa runs. I also do not have a work permit. I am not looking to invest in Thailand i only want to reside here for the time being i have no idea for how long.

If i want to purchase and drive a car here what are my options? Can i obtain a Thai license without a long term visa and work permit? Do i need a Thai license or would i be able to purchase and drive a car legally with an IDP?

Many thanks.

To be eligible to apply for a Thai drivers licence you need to hold a Non-Immigrant visa of any category.

Many thanks.

To be eligible to apply for a Thai drivers licence you need to hold a Non-Immigrant visa of any category.

Re- IDP application to UK from Thailand. I recently did this but I understood that they will only return the IDP to the address on your UK driving licence. I had a friend pick it up and forward it to me out here. I could be wrong of course......