Concern raised for LGBTI treatments in Thai schools

webfact

Concern raised for LGBTI treatments in Thai schools

BANGKOK, 16 May 2014 (NNT) - A study conducted by Plan International, UNESCO, and Mahidol University was released yesterday at an event commemorating International Day against Homophobia and Transphobia (DAHOT). The study revealed disconcerting findings on the issue of violence and discrimination experienced by lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) persons.

The findings showed that nearly one-third (31%) of students who identified themselves as LGBT reported having experienced physical abuse, 29% were targets of verbal abuse and 24% said they faced sexual harassment because of their sexual orientation or gender identity.

The report also showed that LGBTI have been exposed to a range of bullying-type behaviors at school, including abuse that was verbal, physical, social and sexual in nature.

Furthermore, 7% of those bullied said they had attempted suicide in the past year, while an even greater number (23%) suffered from depression, resulting in anxiety, low self-esteem as well as withdrawal and social isolation.

The report highlights how most schools in Thailand do not have anti-bullying policies, let alone policies that focus on LGBTI students. In some cases, victims said they were accused of inviting the bullying behavior upon themselves.

Analysts see that text books is one of the major cause of fear and unacceptance of LGBT in the society, as the content learned in school displayed the LGBTs in the same category of patients with mental disorders and must be avoided.

Teachers and school administrators expressed a wish to have access to learning materials that can help them respond more effectively to the needs of the LGBTI community and improve their learning environment. To that end, UNESCO and partners are unveiling lesson plans this week to help bring discussions about sexual and gender diversity into the classroom.

Further efforts to strengthen the ability of teachers to address these issues are also underway through a strengthened partnership between UNESCO and Plan Thailand, with support from the Netherlands Ministry of Education, Culture and Science and the Swedish International Development Agency.

“This is part of a ‘whole school approach' that aims to make all schools safe havens for learning. This includes policies that respect all children’s right to learn in a safe environment, support to teachers to understand their role in promoting acceptance and respect, curriculum that enables and empowers, and links to services for affected learners,” said Doris Voorbraak, Deputy Head of Mission at the Embassy of the Kingdom of the Netherlands yesterday.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-16 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Here at a university in nakhon pathom there are plenty of gays, transgenders, etc. They have many friends and seem to be accepted by nearly all. Of course some of them have an attitude that makes others dislike them but you can say the same for heterosexuals too. I think since students at my uni are mostly female it is easier for them. I expect in a testosterone fuelled environment it would be a different story.

When I went to school we didn't have a DAHOT day, although I remember we had some nice summers. I don't remember anyone claiming to be LGBTI,most of us were WTGOLO, (wanting to get our leg over).

I feel sorry for the kids of today, life used to be so uncomplicated.

• Like 1

Many...are loud and obnoxious...drawing unnecessary attention to themselves...the bullying...could be a cause and affect scenario...

Yes, many if not all bullies are loud an obnoxious. Can't say that about my gay and transgender students.

• Like 1

I also have gay and transgender university students and cannot say that they are discriminated against. But that';s tertiary level, and in Bangkok.

I would like to read that research paper to see their sample. The article does not give a citation, so how can I get my hands on it?

I've been in a lot of schools, and don't recall seeing any bullying or abuse of LGBT students. Curiosity sometimes, and some friendly ribbing, but everybody does that to one another, and it was always taken in stride, as it was including them in the group.

• Like 1

Interesting that I didn't read anything about it in the mainstream press.

Also interesting that Thammasat has a study group about Women, Gender and Sexuality who are involved in this, but I have heard about it at any other university.

Also interesting that Thammasat has a study group about Women, Gender and Sexuality who are involved in this, but I have heard about it at any other university.

Chiangmai University has a Women's Studies Dept., and I expect other universities do too. I don't know whether they have specific study groups with this agenda.