Horrific accident between farang bicyclist and car Vichit/Sai Yuan

steelepulse

Around 7:15 am, Mrs SP witnessed a Thai lady hit an older farang lady riding a bike right at the intersection of Vichit and Sai Yuan. Bicyclist and car both traveling in the direction of Rawai beach from Chalong where the cones are placed. Mrs SP was waiting at the light and said the Thai lady driving the car was going really fast and just plowed into the bicycle rider who was then shot up high into the air before hitting the ground. The Thai lady did stop, and she got out of her car wearing some sort of gov't or school uniform. Mrs SP said it appeared that the driver never even saw the bicyclist.

I just wanted to give a heads up if anyone knows a Caucasian lady that rides her bike in the mornings on this route and also to all you motorbike riders out there, keep your eyes on your mirror and be safe.

She did mention a foreigner did approach, but as bicyclist was not moving, he got on the phone to call an ambulance. On the way back from the school drop off ( 45 minutes later), she said the insurance people were there and that the bicyclist had already been taken away from the scene.

i bicycle thought those lights most morning with the missus. very worrying. when going towards nai harn, i usually cross over to the other side or vichit when safe so i can cross onto sai yuan when there are no cars around.just bypass the lights altogether.

• Like 1

Theres also the cut through. Several hundred meters before the lights on the right (inbetween the 7/11 and familymart) turn right take the immediate left fork and just follow the road through. Brings you out by the villas that were once painted all sorts of clours (now all cream).

Handy cut through sometime if the traffic builds up at the lights

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by N47HAN

If anyone has information on this please PM me. The woman is my neighbour. She is now in Bangkok Phuket Hospital undergoing surgery. She has no recollection of what happened.

Edited by trd

Awful circumstances. I cycle quite a lot, and take this particular road almost daily on my way to Rawai beach/Laem Promthep. I always stick to the cycle lane virtually everywhere, and other than some long distance rides that I do that involves being on the road circa 0530/0600, I don't do morning or late afternoon rides. Most accidents, particularly those involving motorcycles/cars/mini vans etc, always seem to occur at those times. My normal daily cycle I do circa lunchtime, which of course is also the hottest part of the day, however there is a slight lessening of traffic, and much safer than the times when people are trying to/from work/school/tours etc.

I hope the lady makes a full and speedy recover. I love cycling but would never cycle in Thailand. Its crazy to ride a motorbike in Thailand but most people haven't got a lot of choice but to cycle is even more crazy.

• Like 1

For years ive wanted to get a bicycle / moto so could just " nip down to 7/11 " .

Just reminds me not to give in to that thought

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I hope the lady makes a full and speedy recover. I love cycling but would never cycle in Thailand. Its crazy to ride a motorbike in Thailand but most people haven't got a lot of choice but to cycle is even more crazy.

You would be surprised just how popular cycling is in Thailand. I sometimes join a group who meet regularly, and there are sub groups that appeal to the whole spectrum of cyclists. I tend to go for the distance/endurance type stuff (all road) while others go for the MTB style.

I'm riding with a guy who's visiting a friend of mine on holiday, and he's brought his bike from the UK. He lives in Yorkshire, and is a very experienced (and proficient) cyclist. He tells me he feels safer cycling here in Thailand than he does in the UK. I put that down to here motorcycles (and cycles) outnumber cars probably around 10 to 1, so the whole psyche of driving here automatically makes allowances (in most circumstances) for cycles, powered or otherwise. In the UK (and many other countries), those on two wheels are very much in the minority, and motorists just don't have the same awareness of them.

• Like 2

You would be surprised just how popular cycling is in Thailand. I sometimes join a group who meet regularly, and there are sub groups that appeal to the whole spectrum of cyclists. I tend to go for the distance/endurance type stuff (all road) while others go for the MTB style.

I'm riding with a guy who's visiting a friend of mine on holiday, and he's brought his bike from the UK. He lives in Yorkshire, and is a very experienced (and proficient) cyclist. He tells me he feels safer cycling here in Thailand than he does in the UK. I put that down to here motorcycles (and cycles) outnumber cars probably around 10 to 1, so the whole psyche of driving here automatically makes allowances (in most circumstances) for cycles, powered or otherwise. In the UK (and many other countries), those on two wheels are very much in the minority, and motorists just don't have the same awareness of them.

I would never cycle in ''Thailand'' anywhere, as its too dangerous, and i am a ''Cyclist''... as for your friend, saying its safer here ??? i find that hard to believe... I've Cycled all over the UK, even in London and found it 99 percent safer than here..

anyway, hope the lady makes a full recovery... any kind of transportation in Thailand is dangerous... but hopefully things will improve in the future.. but i wont hold my breath..

How much compensation is the Thai lady who hit her going to give her????

You shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions. The Thai woman who hit my friend called her insurance company, made a full statement to the police and intends visiting her in hospital today. Sometimes people do the right thing. Edited by trd
  • Like 1

You shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions. The Thai woman who hit my friend called her insurance company, made a full statement to the police and intends visiting her in hospital today. Sometimes people do the right thing.

I'm not jumping to any conclusions.

I would be interested in how much compensation is she going to give her, if any.

Edited by NamKangMan

You shouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions. The Thai woman who hit my friend called her insurance company, made a full statement to the police and intends visiting her in hospital today. Sometimes people do the right thing.

I would be interested in how much compensation is she going to give her, if any.

I believe that will be settled through her insurance company. Thankfully, my friend has health insurance for her hospital treatment. Edited by trd

Was talking about this with the OP and even the thought of being on two wheels on the busier roads here with no juice to goose is frightful.

I see people taking bicycles through the Chalong circle, do you think a speeding cement truck is going to slow down for a bicyclist? On top of that, no rearview mirrors...........scary.

I wish this lady a speedy recovery.

I believe that will be settled through her insurance company. Thankfully, my friend has health insurance for her hospital treatment.

She has insurance - great.

I was thinking she wasn't insured and was going to be up for the bill, despite the accident not being her fault.

I would never cycle in ''Thailand'' anywhere, as its too dangerous, and i am a ''Cyclist''...

Never? Anywhere? Beautiful cycling almost anywhere upcountry with little or no traffic and the traffic there is is quite polite and restrained. Here in Khanom groups of Thai and farrang cyclists every evening all over with virtually no cars and a handful of motorbikes around...

• Like 1

I would never cycle in ''Thailand'' anywhere, as its too dangerous, and i am a ''Cyclist''... as for your friend, saying its safer here ??? i find that hard to believe... I've Cycled all over the UK, even in London and found it 99 percent safer than here..

anyway, hope the lady makes a full recovery... any kind of transportation in Thailand is dangerous... but hopefully things will improve in the future.. but i wont hold my breath..

Sorry, have to disagree with you. Currently I'm averaging between 300 to 500 km a week (did 135km this morning, would have been more but for the heavy rain).

Regarding your comments about London, it's been having a terrible time with cyclists being killed. In November 2013, 6 cyclists were killed there in less than 2 weeks! 122 cyclists were killed in the UK in 2012, a record. A couple of days ago, the number killed in London so far this year is 5. Just Google 'cyclists killed in London' for the relevant links.

• Like 1

I read somewhere recently that Bangkok has the most traffic accidents compared to other cities in the world

Per head of population Phuket would beat Bangkok easily IMO

I agree.

Phuket is the "hub" of road accidents in Thailand.

"tuk-tuk tuk-tuk." :)

Glad to hear the driver stopped and stayed. Did Mrs. SP give testimony as to the offender's fast driving so as to be charged accordingly?

I live near a beach road that is very narrow, no motorcycle lane or even shoulder at all, hilly and curvy with speeding drivers cutting the blind corners and also has a lot of heavy truck traffic on it. Two days ago I saw a family of four, each on bicycles with a small girl struggling to get up a hill and gyroscoping into the middle of the lane. I thought about stopping and telling her parents how dangerous it is, are they really that naive? I guess when they hear over and over what a safe destination it is, they believe it - in every way.

im pretty sure that the only reason its safer here is that you dont expect cars to not kill you.

in home countries, cyclist think that because the law allows them on the road that they are protected by some magic force field.

There's a 100m long tunnel here, cyclist have to slowdown if they use the sidewalk because they put poles to get in and out. So they stick to the small unlit lanes because its their right to use the road.. well.. we already have a few death this year.

In thailand you could be legally allowed to drive in the fast lane, most people would still drive 1mm from the side in the cycle lane and checking behind them every 5secs for dangerous drivers.

I lost 15 facebook friends just telling my cyclist facebookers that you can actually use your brain(and live) instead of following the law. So IMO this is the only reason.

Best way to drive in Thailand is to [pretend that their is a bounty on you and every Thai driver knows it. Be defensive and never get other drivers the slightest credit for common sense.

Your not being paranoid if everyone really is trying to kill you.