Strange hobbies in Los

Showbags

15 years ago I entered the newly founded lockpicking sports club in Germany and since then I'm quite popular with my friends who decide to call me instead of the emergency locksmith and save a lot of money tongue.png

Bye,

Derk

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cricket, but that was a hobby before got to Thailand. Us local fools get out on the beach every Sunday to have a game, and get a variety of strange looks.

We have another group now also doing a weekly garbage clean up on the island, which is growing in popularity.

I think lock picking although enjoyable could never match safecracking which could be infinitely more profitable and challenging. The hardest part is finding appropriate safes. Although I have never participated, I would definitely like to be a spectator. With the advent of remote cameras and the internet the size of the crowd could be nearly limitless. At $1.00/view an empty safe could be very profitable and the crowd could be educated as to the details of the sport.

I'm the guy who asked the 'lock picking hobby' question in the lawyer forum.

Just because you didn't hear about a certain hobby doesn't make it strange. There is people from all over the world on this forum.
Lock picking is mostly practiced in Netherlands, USA and Germany and indeed not widely known about in Thailand.

Picking a lock is solving a puzzle. When I solve the puzzle and the lock pops open I feel a tiny tiny adrenalin rush.

Since most of you are only educated about lock picking by Hollywood you have a very unrealistic image of it.

According to most of the statistics less than 1% of burglaries involve lock picking. It takes a lot of practice and patience and it is very had to do it successfully while under stress. On the other hand it is very easy and quick to break a lock, window or door. So for breaking and entering learning this skill is just not worth it.

For those interested, here is a link to a video series made by the infamous
Schuyler Towne:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVSL0liiWoc&list=PLv3l1NRPdHkCBTQinJL7HMX3_V-HChmIm
The guy is not very popular in the lock picking world but his video series is good.

Edited by spoonzor
  • Like 1

Hobbies I have spotted when out for a stroll in Bangkok

1. Nose picking

2. Critters in your hair - picking

3. Acne disposal (a big hobby amongst motorcycle taxi guys)

4. Scamming (is that a hobby or a Thai national sport? - I am not sure)

Any others...anyone...........??

• Like 1

Picking locks is one of the life skills I'd like to learn, simply to know how it's done in case I would need the skill someday. Quite the same as I would like to learn how to ride a horse, but don't actually ride them.. just have the knowhow.

One of the most tingtong hobbies currently. Taking photos of Mountain Dew bottles. There is a thread running on Photography forum. But be aware, if you decide to join to the fun, you will start seeing those green coloured bottles everywhere smile.pnghttp://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/721120-mountain-dew-challenge/

Geocaching aka treasure hunting for adults is a great game to learn new places, virtually anywhere in the world. Millions players as well as hidden caches. http://www.geocaching.com/

As many locks are crap, lockpicking can be picked up. I have rekeyed locks and opened a few doors. When I first started, I was truly surprised to discover that many sliding doors can be unlocked with a small screwdriver and a paperclip. A friend accidentally locked his camper shell, so I opened it - surprised at the ease, I tried my garage door lock and my sliding door. Less than 10 minutes to open all 3.

Here in Thaland my daughters locked us out of the house - I found an old knife and piece of wire to open the sliding door, then used the knife to pry the second door's lock - 5 minutes to get in, so I changed the locks and we don't keep valuables at home anymore...LOL

the wind blew my door closed locking the keys inside the condo once

i went down to reception and they said it willl be 300 to call a locksmith

i said ok ,call him

the guy arrives ,pulls out a thin piece of wire and opens the door in about 2 seconds

basically the same speed it would have taken to open it with the key ,i was like <deleted> and he just smiled

and i had to pay him 300 for 2 seconds work ......:o

Hobbies I have spotted when out for a stroll in Bangkok

1. Nose picking

2. Critters in your hair - picking

3. Acne disposal (a big hobby amongst motorcycle taxi guys)

4. Scamming (is that a hobby or a Thai national sport? - I am not sure)

Any others...anyone...........??

Eating every two hours or less,constantly playing with phone/tablet.

The main Hobbies among Farang i see here are drinking copious amounts of alcohol or picking up Totty. And then again there are the other type of 'Birdwatcher' and Fishermen i see when i'm out on the bike. Never spotted anyone picking locks though, so perhaps i'm not observant enough !

Please, are we all that naive? 'Lock picking' is only a euphemistic metaphor for getting some stuff.

Sitting at the bar and guessing if it is a lady or ladyboy walking past.....gets harder as the day goes on though.blink.png

Doesn't have to get harder, let the drink bolster your curiosity and do the 'Crocodile Dundee.'

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The main Hobbies among Farang i see here are drinking copious amounts of alcohol or picking up Totty.

Totty? What's a totty?

Is that a LBFM you find in South East Asia, Indonesia, Philippines, Central and South America?

Do you seriously not know what totty is? You obviously haven't been to the UK then, or are you pulling our plonker? A google search will give you the definition. giggle.gif

15 years ago I entered the newly founded lockpicking sports club in Germany and since then I'm quite popular with my friends who decide to call me instead of the emergency locksmith and save a lot of money tongue.png

Bye,

Derk

A lockpicking sports club.how does that work ,you kick a football around whilst trying to unpick a lock at the same time,novel idea, i must admit.

Sitting at the bar and guessing if it is a lady or ladyboy walking past.....gets harder as the day goes on though.blink.png

As the day goes on?

What time do you start drinking?

Didn't say I was drinking did I whistling.gifgiggle.gif ( actually after midday )biggrin.png

Doesn't have to get harder, let the drink bolster your curiosity and do the 'Crocodile Dundee.'

Looking at some of these lb's by the time the drink had bolstered my curiosity I would be too pissed to care!

Exactly what gets harder?

That depends on whether it is or is not a ladyboy.

Exactly what gets harder?

You know the hardest thing about sleeping with a ladyboy?

The cock

That would depend on whether he/she is one of the 80% or not. I think you all know what I mean.

I mean...lock picking clubs....competitions....LPA (lock picking anonymous) .....seriously ?

Well, Thais seem to consider nose-picking as a hobby, sometimes it even seems competitive, and many posters here are nit-pickers, sooooo ….

Is that why you don't see many Thais wearing full face motorbike helmets? In case anyone asks, yes, I do wear a full face motorbike helmet, and yes, I have tried to pick my nose while wearing it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

15 years ago I entered the newly founded lockpicking sports club in Germany and since then I'm quite popular with my friends who decide to call me instead of the emergency locksmith and save a lot of money alt=tongue.png>

Bye,

Derk

A lockpicking sports club.how does that work ,you kick a football around whilst trying to unpick a lock at the same time,novel idea, i must admit.

No, the sport is picking the locks.

You do it against the clock and on the championships for the different categories you have different time available to open, from 60 seconds (flash opening, easy locks) to 30 minutes (impressioning, means producing a key out of a blank without having a sample).

You can also do it underwater or try not to use standard lockpicking tools but "office items".

Bye,

Derk