Utorrent with your PC off, Zyxel NAS310 server

My network storage was fried by a thunderstorm last week, it took out the ADSL WiFi router and the media server LAN port.

Desperate to replace it without waiting for a trip back to the USA, I went for a look around.

Nothing really caught my eye, and everything seemed double the price of the US shops.

And then!

I found a Zyxel NAS310 hard drive enclosure, just a box that goes around a hard drive and allows network access via Lan port, at 2,500bht + HD it would do.

Pulled the 2GB HD from my burnt media server, plugged it into the Zyxel, had it working in no time at all.

But the big advantage was, I could drag utorrent MAGNET lings from my PC onto the server, and it would download them without the PC being on.

You can also link the NAS to your Dropbox account, then you can drag torrent links into dropbox, and the NAS will download while you are away from home.

It's total magic, all the files are viewable over my WiFi via SMB and/or uPnP so computers, tablets and phones all happy.

(If you have Android give the Archos Player software a go, much more stable than XBMC, similar graphic interface)

Supposedly I could view my NAS from anywhere in the world, but I'm too stupid to forward the ports, as I now have a separate WiFi router (Asus 150+) and ADSL modem (3BB Huawai).

The WiFi router was also a bit of a bargain at 750Bht, much better range and speed than the now dead Linksys ADSL router, and way easy to set up.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

I have my NAS , router, switch and computer all plugged into my APC UPS and in turn all plugged into a GROUNDED Leonics TPS series power line and surge suppressor so far no worries

Edited by jcgodber
  • Like 1

DD-WRT allow you to do the downloads on your Router with Transmission.

Not that this isn't a nice solution, it's just that I thought I'd mention that torrenting without your PC has been around a for a while.

I have my NAS , router, switch and computer all plugged into my APC UPS and in turn all plugged into a GROUNDED Leonics TPS series power line and surge suppressor so far no worries

I hadn't connected the ADSL line through my UPS, that was what fried everything (all the power went through the UPS).

NOW, the ADSL through is through the UPS too.

But hey, it was a good excuse to upgrade my equipment.