Step down for sake of the country, senators urge govt

Lite Beer

The govt is a lame duck. Senate has more legitimacy presently as an elected body. Senate is also part of the 'House' in the absence of MPs they have a role to play. I'm not saying they aren't partisan but they are seeking a solution. Their solution is apparently undemocratic because it seeks an 'appointed' PM/cabinet which intends to be neutral and capable of organising fair reform. It's not the end of the world to take democracy offline for 6 months to resolve things. Peua Thaksin are only interested in shoring up power, as such they insist on an unconditional election to regain power and dominate the reform agenda, and we all know where they will lead us. If the Senate are able to propose a balanced 'short term GNU solution that can include Peua Thai and Dems equally, it's far more likely to see us through than this simplistic, head-in-the-sand, idea of 'election will solve the problem'. It won't, elections are presently part of the problem.

elections are presently part of the problem only because the losers refuse to accept the results. They want power but refuse to talk to the people and earn their confidence and their votes the democratic way. Instead, they want to impose themselves in a position of power, which is going to be most surefire path toward violence.

Dont be so sensible mate, this is unusual for the hi-so farangs

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Surely the best way to get a prime minister & cabinet with full authority would be to have an election or am I missing something?

Surely "full authority" must include the mandate of the people?

Yes you are missing something, 2 words.

FREE and FAIR.

No need to shout.

I would have thought "free & fair" was a given and that the majority would understand that?

Emphasis is not shouting...........and a bit trivial to make a post out of it (as is this, I suppose!)

• Like 1

Surely the best way to get a prime minister & cabinet with full authority would be to have an election or am I missing something?

FREE and FAIR.

No need to shout.

I would have thought "free & fair" was a given and that the majority would understand that?

Emphasis is not shouting...........and a bit trivial to make a post out of it (as is this, I suppose!)

The yellows

are looking silly now, they are even trying to stop some going home, to continue with their business, even some from Pattaya are being forced to stay

• Like 1

FREE and FAIR.

No need to shout.

The yellows

are looking silly now, they are even trying to stop some going home, to continue with their business, even some from Pattaya are being forced to stay

FREE and FAIR.

No need to shout.

The yellows

are looking silly now, they are even trying to stop some going home, to continue with their business, even some from Pattaya are being forced to stay, even though they are being paid 400 baht a day, from Suthep big c bag. Has anyone known an opposition so poor, as not showing donations, unless one wants to look in a bag ahahahahahah, its laughable

Edited by Bernard Flint

Common sense from the Senate.

And the idiotic caretaker PM true to his idiotic predecessor convicted crim's puppet is to busy in Issan. To busy for the sake of the country. Idiots and clowns to the left and the right. The sooner all these pathetic politicians are stood down and an interim administration is set up for a short term solution for reform before an election the better. Failing that it will be the Army imposing martial law.

GEOGRAPHY 101 - Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai are NOT in Issan.

were you ? sleeping in Feb - there was an election and it failed another one will also fail, the simple truth is that there is a huge portion of the Thai people want reforms first - very possibly more than 50% but even if it was 40% an election is still not going to work - all of the voting public need to be on-board

The main point here is that those that want reforms are not saying no to an election - they are saying they want it delayed so reforms can take place first - so contrary to what the red spammers here are saying - everyone wants an election - nobody is advocating not to have an election which is a very important point -

What the reds stand to lose is power and money - these red leaders are getting paid huge amounts - PTP stand to lose huge amounts and possibly jail if an investigation is launched into government finance to find the missing stolen upwards of 800billion baht - PTP and the reds have a lot to lose which is why they are refusing to compromise

Reforms

Referendum

Election

It's as simple as that

what are these reforms that I keep hearing about? Can you list them?

nobody knows what the reforms would be exactly but they will be primarily designed to do a few important things -

- Shore up anti corruption laws and plug the gaps that Thaksin/PTP/reds tried to expose/exploit or in the case of the rice scheme - did exploit to the tune of billions and billions of baht

- Force transparency for all government finance and projects - they can not longer keep things hidden from the public and withhold the details

- Implement measures to stop vote buying and intimidation during elections

- Controls over election populist policies - perhaps a branch of the EC

- Rules governing candidates similar to Senators excluding those previously convicted of criminal offences - parlimentry abuse and corruption

- Banning those convicted for life and not just 5 years from taking office

- reform of the police

the list goes on but you get the idea

IMO the one thing That PTP and Thaksin have shown in the last 10 years is that there is a need for reform - the abuse of power and corruption has been unpresidented - some argue that corruption the last two years has decreased in Thailand - it is still to be investigated uncovered and exposed

were you ? sleeping in Feb - there was an election and it failed another one will also fail, the simple truth is that there is a huge portion of the Thai people want reforms first - very possibly more than 50% but even if it was 40% an election is still not going to work - all of the voting public need to be on-board

The main point here is that those that want reforms are not saying no to an election - they are saying they want it delayed so reforms can take place first - so contrary to what the red spammers here are saying - everyone wants an election - nobody is advocating not to have an election which is a very important point -

What the reds stand to lose is power and money - these red leaders are getting paid huge amounts - PTP stand to lose huge amounts and possibly jail if an investigation is launched into government finance to find the missing stolen upwards of 800billion baht - PTP and the reds have a lot to lose which is why they are refusing to compromise

Reforms

Referendum

Election

It's as simple as that

nobody knows what the reforms would be exactly but they will be primarily designed to do a few important things -

- Shore up anti corruption laws and plug the gaps that Thaksin/PTP/reds tried to expose/exploit or in the case of the rice scheme - did exploit to the tune of billions and billions of baht

- Force transparency for all government finance and projects - they can not longer keep things hidden from the public and withhold the details

- Rules governing candidates similar to Senators excluding those previously convicted of criminal offences - parlimentry abuse and corruption

- reform of the police

IMO the one thing That PTP and Thaksin have shown in the last 10 years is that there is a need for reform - the abuse of power and corruption has been unpresidented - some argue that corruption the last two years has decreased in Thailand - it is still to be investigated uncovered and exposed

That means no yellows in power then, Suthep is a thug and a criminal

The yellows

what on earth are you taking about ???????? what a stupid post

The yellows

what on earth are you taking about ???????? what a stupid post

thank u for the informative post

google the crazy man, read for yourself. Thailand need reforms, but Suthep is a very rich,corrupt guy, like many

- reform of the police

your intellectual prowess is astounding

• Like 1

- reform of the police

your intellectual prowess is astounding

your insulting, arroagant behavious is far worse. This is a forum and we all have opinions without resorting to insults,are you drunk????????

• Like 1

why don't the appointed senators 'step down for the sake of the country' and allow the people to choose their senators. why is it just the caretaker cabinet-which already resigned, that should resign again..

...because the whole reason for the protests is that this caretaker government has been robbing the country blind for the past three years...!

As opposed to some senators? Why should anypne take the statements of some senators who owe their positons to an appointment by a military dictatorship, the very same dictatorship that laid the foundations for this constitutional crisis when the wrote a new constitution without allowing for critical comment?

...and the government of the past three years has been a solution to the problem has it? Of course not, it has been the root of the problem. And how does your precious PTP government and its paid pack of wolves deal with critical comment....?!

Take off your red-tinted glasses for a moment and recognise that what the Senate is trying to do is bring this political impasse to an end so that Thailand can start to move out of the rut that it is now in.

Why does the PDRC?Suthep STEP BACK. Why the Govt need to step back? As far as I am aware they have been trying to follow procedure and have an election? Why are the senators calling for them to step down, rather than calling Suthep to step back?

Because they are the cause of the problems, had they not try to get Taksin home the good people of Thailand would not have risen against this government. They were told not too, but did so it is all on them and their bandit leader.

• Like 2

Y es. You are missing a lot. The last election was neither free nor democratic. Elections per se are not indicative of democracy. In Thailand especially so where money comes first and if the cash doesn't work there's always threats. I have oft mentioned folk that I know of in 'red' villages forced by peer pressure to vote for the reds. Other families faking illness so they don't have to go and vote for whom they don't want. This is certainly true in red villages and indeed is the whole purpose of red villages. Every Abhisit poster in the last election had his face torn out in an attempt to demonise him. I didn't notice the red posters defaced in the same way. Abhisit has been demonised, quite unfairly, through red propaganda. The Shins are not totally free to campaign in the deep south and the Democrats are excluded from campaigning in large swathes of the country. Hardly democratic behaviour by the Thaksin purveyors of democracy! If you search the net and read what ex-allies have said about Thaksin's undemocratic behaviour and put all this information together, you'll find what you are missing.

• Like 2

Strange to see the wording completely different to the Khaosod report.

Seems to me that it is still on, the senate is just giving the government one last chance to step aside, before they actually do go ahead with replacing them.

They are basically saying, 'jump or we will push you'.

The red shirts are also basically threatening to 'burn Bangkok' again if there is violence this weekend and the army come out... the UDD have not changed one bit and those two who are on bail for terrorism are doing exactly the same as they are on bail for.

I doubt they would have the guts to enter BKK with the army and anti-gov protesters waiting for them.

The government are finished, they just want to leave on the back of mass deaths so they look like the 'victims' to the international community.... guess what..... the international community don't really give a crap.... they will simply tut tut and will have forgotten about it the next day.

• Like 1

FREE and FAIR.

You are missing a lot. When the people who want election will understand that no one is against fair and honest election with the right to campaign everywhere in the country, including Isan and the North without intimidation and risk on life.

• Like 2

Red Shield: I am 100% for true democracy and believe the freedom of all men is guaranteed on an even higher plane than any document or system created by man for such purpose.

I suppose that explains their disdain for the constitution.

- reform of the police

Reforms will affect *all* sides!

It is against the Constitution to step down as caretaker government. They already step down for fresh elections. Just as it is against the constitution for the Senate to appoint a PM. Laws should work both ways, not just when there was a convenient cooking show on TV.

Yes, please Senate step down for the good of the country.

• You unelected idiots are making a mockery of Thailand.
  • You've undermined our courts with a partisan oversight system.
  • You've stuffed the Independent agencies with partisan appointees.
  • You've tried to seize power from the elected house and from the interim government.
  • You impeached the previous Senate Leader while the others were out for election.
  • You hold a 'senate' meeting, when the senate is out of session with only your unelected apparatchiks.

And yeh, we get it, reforms is just a code word for yet more election rigging. None of you dare say what you mean by reform, you claim to be all independent and neutral, so how do you know the 'reform' each of you plan is the same? and yet none of you can state it? It's election rigged and you cannot state it because it is corruption in its purest form.

• Your Democrat party is elitist and unelectable
  • You blocked voting in the South, if the South is yours by right, why did you not trust them to boycott the election? Why did it have to be blocked?!
  • You are determined to block any election, because you know you will lose
  • You were set to lose badly in Bangkok and the South

So yes unelected Senate posse, breaking all the laws of the Senate, step down and let us replace you with a fully elected house that represents the people, not your bunch of lying corrupt dinosaurs.

/rant

Edited by BlueNoseCodger
  • Like 1

What the appointed Senators really mean is resign for the sake of the old guard because the old guard wants their power back. With their overblown sense of entitlement, they believe it's going to come easy. Not this time.

Congratulations on having succeeded in stringing together three sentences without one single reference to "thugs". Bravo...!!

• Like 1

You are totally right but the farangs who post on this thread are obsessively anti-democratic. They are similar to the people who in February and March 1933 argued that now the time called for emergency measures and the suspension of democratic rights and rules of governance - we all know the result of that was Hitler usurping power and heaping misery on Germany and the world for the subsequent 12 years.

The TV farangs have learnt no lessons from history. They are hopelessly shaped by a "neo-colonialist" outlook where they basically see Thais as second-class citizens and themselves as vastly superior. That is why expat farangs hate Thai democracy - nothing is more repellant to them than to see Thais run their own country. They would much rather see the country run by a small elite and the vast majority of Thais told to stay "in their place". In the mindset of the TV farang who continually posts here in defense of Suthep and his gang of fascist thugs the destruction of Thai democracy would benefit his selfish expat existence more than if Thailand as a whole becomes more equal and fair.

Them generalizations.

Most Expats living in Thailand do not post on TVF. Most TVF members do not post on political issues. Of those who do,

wouldn't really say there's a vast majority of anti-government supporters. In fact, even those that do not approve of the

government are often critical when it comes to Suthep (for example).

There is nothing wrong with pointing out problems pertaining to Thailand's democracy, or pointing out flaws in Thailand's

political system. That does not imply hatred of democracy. Nor does having the country run by a group of small elite

represent any obvious advantage to expat foreigners. Expats, as a rule, are nobodies when it comes to the higher echelons

of Thai social order.

• Like 1