Re-entering Thailand issue

I hold a passport of a European country and I intend to return to Asia soon. I used to live and work in Thailand on a work permit but was caught in mid-2000 (won't give the exact year on this forum for obvious reasons) working for a different company in Bangkok. I believe this was arranged by my ex-Thai wife who wanted me out of the country. I was detained and later deported. She sold properties I paid for (4 rai of land in the north of Thailand, will not get into specifics of location here) and she remarried a few months later (to a Thai). I received an email from her friend that she had a friend who in turn had a friend who knew someone at immigration.

Anyway, fast forward to 2014. I applied for a new passport and was issued one but there is a spelling mistake in my last name (let's just say, it's similar to something like this: instead of Peterson it is now showing as Pedersen). I already used the passport to travel to Canada and onward to Seoul.

My question is-- if I use this passport to enter BKK airport, can my previous deportation be traced or will this be my "first" entry to Thailand? I remember Thai arrival/departure cards asking if the passenger is entering Thailand for the first time or has had previous travels to Thailand. Obviously a previous deportation would work adversely for me and will probably lead to a denial of entry.

My airline ticket shows the same spelling of my name shown on my current passport.

Please advise.

A deportation would mean nothing unless you were blacklisted.

No blacklist no problem entering.

back in 2000 everything was done by paperwork. however whatever name you use had better have additional I.D. with the same name on it. AND keep away from your Ex. thai women have a long memory.

i once entered Thailand on a passport with an incorrect spelling, no big deal, nobody notice....... not even me. then one day i had a foot infection and had to check into the hospital. the misspelling became a huge headache when trying to get all the insurance forms sorted. i would say get your passport corrected, many Thai people like to claim they have contacts with immigration but normally its all hot air.

I had a friend who had a passport of country A and he possesed passport of country B after naturalisation to country B. While he entered Thailand first time after getting his passport from country B Immegration officer asked him if he had changed his nationality. Thai Immegration had his information in the database. This was in 2009. Obviously in his case he had same exact name and picture for both passports of the different countries.

On the other hand recently a person who came to Thailand to learn Muay Thai and was held at airport while leaving since he had lost a lot of weight and Immegration was suspecious.

I have known a case where the person entered Thailand and left while warrants were issued by Police against him. Obviously Immegration was not very keen in keeping track of it.

Without knowing full details of reason for deportation it is difficult to say but, tend to agree with ubonjoe that unless you are blacklisted you should be able to enter. Change in spelling and new passport would only help you.

Edited by tamvine

I know people who have been deported----in England you can just change your surname by deed poll, it means entering it in public notices of a national newspaper---those columns are just mainly read by bailiffs & debt collectors. They have returned with no problem.

Shouldn't be a problem

I had an issue myself around that time nothing like yours if you read my post you will know I'm not going into it

It was around 2002 not exact year don't want to say the right year

At the time Thai's cancelled my passport well in their eyes not in my countries eyes and I was on a list if found to be detained

After it was all sorted and they gave me back my passport I now had two the new one from my embassy.

As my embassy said the Thai's will never give it back. But to my shock the Thai's gave me back that passport.

With the company I worked with at the time I travel all over Asia and 1 time in my haste only weeks after this all happened I took my cancelled passport by my government and Thai's who if I was stoped with that passport was to be detained. I left Thailand when to 3 different Asian countries and returned on that passport nothing no one picked it up, not even me.

When I got home put my passport away I realized I used the old one and thought whole crap!!!

How was it I didn't get caught?

I then thought better I hand in my old passport to my embassy when I did and explained to them what I did and travelled on it they were in total shock and couldn't believe it. When the Consular General was informed of it he called me and said.

That most of the systems in Asia are not connected to the internet so they cant find out anything or know anything. He did say that the Thai's at that time were connecting all their custom office all over Thailand to the internet and also connect internationally

Of course today they all are so no chance of getting away with it now

From what I know I'm sure they have no information or list of you at that time.

Thanks for the response and advise.

Ex is from Tak. Marriage was good (for a few years). The relationship started to deteriorate while she was living in Europe with me. My mother had Parkinsons during the final years of her life and she helped looked after her. During this time however she stole most of her jewelry and sold them to friends of hers in the Thai community. This came to light after one of those friends confided in me and returned one of the rings. To cut the story short, my mother died in 2003 and we both relocated back to Thailand where I worked for company with offices in Wireless Rd. The company later shifted their operational hub to Singapore and I declined the offer to move there. I began working for a different company owned by a Canadian friend. My work permit remained valid but specifically allowed work in the (now Singapore-based) company only.

I still have some money in a Thai bank so that's another dilemma. The account name does not match my current passport's surname. Ex is unaware of that SCB account's existence.

I am now in an Asian country so having the passport corrected is not an option at this stage. Really not keen on disclosing a mountain of information here in case those border guards spend their lunch hours reading these forums.

Problems with the ex began when I confronted her about my late mom's jewelry and when I attempted to recover them. It's a "face" issue. I did recover some and passed them on to my daughter. Expensive ones were apparently sent by a Thai friend to Thailand and were irrecoverable.

The immigration problem I had was most likely a revenge matter. A friend of hers helped arrange my ticket to expedite the deportation process. I'm not sure if I was blacklisted but I was detained, fingerprinted, put behind bars for nearly a month at the IDC.

Really keen on visiting Thailand again and of course I would give a wide berth to places and people I used to know back then.

Edited by flying2asia
  • Like 1

You could encounter problems in the future with your passport not matching your other documents such as credit cards etc.

The surname in my last UK passport was spelt wrongly (one letter missing). I travelled to quite a number of places without anybody noticing including me. However, I returned to the UK and attempted to open a new bank account and I had to use my pasport for ID if I remember correctly and was knocked back because the eagle eyed teller noticed the name in the passport was spelled differently.

My friend was deported from Thailand, grassed up by his ex for something trivial but something he denies even doing. He ended up being thrown out and was told he could re-enter after seven years. The usual penalty I believe is five years but I am no expert on that. He was blacklisted. The good news is that he returned recently for a holiday after serving out his ban and there were no issues relating to his deportation.

Just one thing worries me. I read somewhere that they will be introducing fingerprint scanners at Thai airports and that they will be linked to national databases.

That will not happen until much later this year.

They will looking for international criminals more so than somebody like you. I am not sure yours would even be in any database here anyway.

OP... fly into Cambodia and get a bus to siem Reip. Then get another bus to the Chong chom border. Its a small low class border option. If the guys there even know how to turn on a computer I would be surprised.

sorry to hear about your ex. Go and pay her a visit...

• Like 1

Nobody is conspiring with anyone here. Conspiring with anyone implies that a conspiracy exists and there is nothing here, even in the remotest sense, that conclusively points to or supports the idea of a conspiracy.

I make my own decisions independently. Comments made here are just that, comments. Nobody is conspiring with anyone.

A deportation would mean nothing unless you were blacklisted.

No blacklist no problem entering.

The Mag strip on your PP will most likely tell the true tale. I question did the OP tun in his old PP in application for this new one?? Good chance the MAG strip has the facts. If his un-named Euro country is up tech.

Why don't you just call someone in Thailand, perhaps immigration or consulate using your correct name and ask if there is a blacklist against you?

The database for passports may carry previous passport numbers issued to you. There must be a link or anyone with any history they want to hide could simply say that they have lost their passport and get another one, it can't be that simple.

That way you can be sure of whether or not you should travel.

i personally don't ever advise trying to cheat the system, it's just not worth it. If you get back into the country and somehow it is found out that you are then you could end up in a lot of trouble.

Good luck with whatever you do but I think do some checks before you travel.

Thanks for the response and advise.

Ex is from Tak. Marriage was good (for a few years). The relationship started to deteriorate while she was living in Europe with me. My mother had Parkinsons during the final years of her life and she helped looked after her. During this time however she stole most of her jewelry and sold them to friends of hers in the Thai community. This came to light after one of those friends confided in me and returned one of the rings. To cut the story short, my mother died in 2003 and we both relocated back to Thailand where I worked for company with offices in Wireless Rd. The company later shifted their operational hub to Singapore and I declined the offer to move there. I began working for a different company owned by a Canadian friend. My work permit remained valid but specifically allowed work in the (now Singapore-based) company only.

I still have some money in a Thai bank so that's another dilemma. The account name does not match my current passport's surname. Ex is unaware of that SCB account's existence.

I am now in an Asian country so having the passport corrected is not an option at this stage. Really not keen on disclosing a mountain of information here in case those border guards spend their lunch hours reading these forums.

Problems with the ex began when I confronted her about my late mom's jewelry and when I attempted to recover them. It's a "face" issue. I did recover some and passed them on to my daughter. Expensive ones were apparently sent by a Thai friend to Thailand and were irrecoverable.

The immigration problem I had was most likely a revenge matter. A friend of hers helped arrange my ticket to expedite the deportation process. I'm not sure if I was blacklisted but I was detained, fingerprinted, put behind bars for nearly a month at the IDC.

Really keen on visiting Thailand again and of course I would give a wide berth to places and people I used to know back then.

For the bank account issue, do you have any other official documents with the same name as the bank account? ie drivers license?

When you go into the branch, do not show your passport, show only the drivers license with the same name.

9 out of 10 times, this would be accepted, if not, just go to another branch and eventually you will access your account.

This i know from experience, but not the name.

Firstly i have not shown my passport in years in the bank, just the drivers license.

In one branch, after i signed, the .(dot) looked different, so they told me i either have to sign the same or no access.

I told them they have my license, so it is me, but the pesky girl would not have any of it, funny enough she could hardly speak English.

Went to another branch, did not even look at the signature.

We can make many hypothesis or supposition, it should not help the OP! may he can be even get arrested at the Thai land border and can't back to Cambodian border who knows..

So, the final solution would be to know what is the solution to know if we're blacklisted from Thailand or not ?

We can make many hypothesis or supposition, it should not help the OP! may he can be even get arrested at the Thai land border and can't back to Cambodian border who knows..

So, the final solution would be to know what is the solution to know if we're blacklisted from Thailand or not ?

Do tell why he would be arrested?

Maybe, since his ex-girlfriend, make others charges agains't him.

Edited by Danielsiam

Maybe, since his ex-girlfriend, make others charges agains't him.

May be you should read the OP from the start before making assumptionsthumbsup.gif

To those implying a criminal or illicit element in the issue at hand, my documents were issued via the proper channels and correct procedures. I completed the right forms, submitted the right documentation, followed the published procedures. Its not like I have a completely new identity or whatever. My surname on my current passport is the Scandinavian version of the anglicised surname reflected on my previous passport. Its one additional consonant and one different vowel. All other details are the exact same information on government records.

To put this into context:

My surname on previous passport: ******e**
Now: ****oe*** (as a result of transcribing the ø)
Plus one additional consonant. (a double of an existing one)
Edited by flying2asia