Gap year tragedy as British teenager dies after falling from a train in Thailand

Lite Beer

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to climb on roof's to look in the girls changing rooms through the sky light...... w00t.gif , weeeeeeeeell, we were 14.......smile.png

You gotta do what you want to do, yeh this guy was very unlucky indeed......sad.png

How do the Thais know he fell rather he was pushed.

Are you trolling or have you never stood up on a moving train? Another thread last week about a guy that fell from a train in Isaan had the same tommyrot speculation.

Unless you've stood outside the carriage for a smoke you'll never understand how much these trains suddenly lurch from one side to another.

RIP young man as you were less fortunate than I was when having a quick puff in the same manner as you.

So very sorry to read this. I hope he was watching a beautiful star filled sky and dreaming great dreams without a care in the world. One of my fondest memories is sitting between the coaches at dusk on my way from Bangkok to Nakorn Sawan, many years ago; the rythmic lurching of the train and the clickety clack of the wheels passing over the rails was music to my ears; never gave a thought to any possible danger. RIP young man and heartfelt condolences to your family

• Like 2

so sad when this happens.

but thais will take this the wrong way and make it mandatory for passengers to wear seat belts. .. on a train.

just like they did for bus drivers running off the road cause they were driving for 24 hr. it wsnt lack of sleep... it was the passengers fault for not having seatbelts on... a bus..

ahh. sad, sad country.

so sad when this happens.

but thais will take this the wrong way and make it mandatory for passengers to wear seat belts. .. on a train.

just like they did for bus drivers running off the road cause they were driving for 24 hr. it wsnt lack of sleep... it was the passengers fault for not having seatbelts on... a bus..

ahh. sad, sad country.

On a Thai train I would rather sit on the roof and jump off when necessary...............sad.png

RIP young guy............

Am sure when most of us were a teen we look back and wonder "how the fugg am I still here". I do now, and sure many of you do. We did what we wanted, many didn't make it, but we did what we wanted, risk or not.......

A good one, indeed.May he rest in Peace.We did 190 km/h without a helmet on big bikes in '77, racing through the city and other things.

I've travelled on the trains here for over 25 years and never seen an accident.The train to Udon even arrives on, or nearly on, time since they improved the track.

However the rocking, swaying can be considerable at times, one time on a diesel sprinter I really thought we might leave the tracks, so intense was the rocking.

If you stay in your seat or berth there's no problem, but standing between the carriages where the plates slide, sitting or standing on the steps to dismount, or sitting in the window frame can all be potentially lethal if the train jerks suddenly and you're not prepared, ie hanging on tight.

I don't know if the young man in this case had had a few drinks or what, no doubt his friends can fill in the details, but it's a tragic waste of life caused by a moment's lack of awareness.

So sad to read a fellow countryman has lost his life this way, Sometimes we need protecting from ourselves and our own actions. No matter how this tragedy occurred it was probably preventable had reasonable Health & Safety precautions been carried out by the train operators. I cannot imagine Thailand being anything other than a 3rd world country in this respect. Rail travel is cheap and sadly with little or no Health & Safety regulations being in place, so are the lives of many an unsuspecting traveller..

How do the Thais know he fell rather he was pushed.

Don't speculate about anything at this point my friend... A gap year is time to expand your horizons, perhaps live a dream and take a break from the routine that other studies have hogtied you for years. It's a time to explore the world refreshed and really understand all that's in it.

To all the family and friends... nothing I can really say can you help compensate for your loss. I can only say I've been there, and I know it hurts.

Local Drunk - off topic but is your icon pic from an old Heavy Metal mag cartoon? thought I had seen it as I had downloaded all the old HM mags

steve

To avoid further lose of life, Smoking should be allowed on trains in Thailand.

It is in 3rd class bring your own pillow , for the rest most comfortable travel ever , food every stop , smoke just open the window as you can find one closed

Read this in the paper on Saturday morning, surprised it wasn't noted here then.

Very sad story, of a life cut short. RIP to matt and condolences to his friends and family.

An absolute tragedy.

Edited by mrtoad

To avoid further lose of life, Smoking should be allowed on trains in Thailand.

Don't think so.... I don't see any reason why non-smoking passengers should have to inhale other passenger's smoke. If you so desperately need a drag, leave the carriage and HOLD ON TIGHT or sit tight and WAIT until you get to your destination. Simple really.

Edited by djayz
  • Like 1

RIP to Matt Lawlor, such a young man and condolences to his family and friends, smoking kills in strange ways, hope this will act as a warning to other youths traveling or intending to travel in 3rd world transport that it is not safe to do things like we do at home while traveling around the world it can be very dangerous a life changing experience for many young people and in some cases it can be a tragic experience like Matt,s, my thoughts prayers are with you today.

Condolences to family and friends of Matt Lawlor as this is a really tough go. It sounds like we lost a good one.

Of the train travel I've done in China, South Korea and in Thailand, the Thailand trains are the least sound or secure. There's just a lot of bouncing around all the time, abrupt lateral shifting in old carriages, stooping if you're taller than the average Thai which almost all of us are. We don't know if he was on an a/c train or a wooden box train, but neither is to be recommended..

Although I'd taken trains several times in the U.S. there's very little passenger train travel in the US so train travel here was still unfamiliar to me and definitely an uncertain experience underfoot. In S Korea I took some really upscale trains down to the old box trains, one old box train with benches for seating being full of farmers with their roosters, chickens and sacks of whatever - one never has a forewarning of what to expect travelling on trains in this part of the world (or not only around here).

And yes, in Thailand sticking one's head out from between carriages during a smoke, it's easy to get hit by a hefty branch or even by the edge of a sign.

When I think of my childhood I'm amazed I survived the recklessness of that, never mind my teenage years or early 20s. It's really a random thing. I can say from personal impact even the best swimmers drown.