ear infection

femi fan

I had my roughly annual wax build-up in my ears removed a couple of weeks ago. I promptly got an ear infection. This happened about five years ago and i was given an antibiotic which had nasty side effects. I eventually got it fixed through using colloidal silver.

This has not worked this time. Because of my previous experience i've not been to the hospital for medicine, and have tried the silver again, and some herbs.

Just wondering if anyone has any direct experience in fixing an ear infection through either normal medicine means or more natural methods. I always thought the body could naturally heal most things in time, but not it seems an ear infection. It is not painful, just itchy sometimes, and leaks yellow sort of pus. I also can't hear fully through this ear.

Thanks for any help.

You need to see a doctor. It will hurt soon I promise you. Just explain to the doctor about the last time you took antibiotics. Pus is not a good thing. And can be serious even if it not hurts

It is not possible for me to determine from what you say if you have only an outer ear infection (in which antibiotic ear drops would usually suffice) or an inner ear infection or even possibly a ruptured ear drum.

The treatment implications differ significantly but all three do normally need to be treated. See an ENT. The leaking pus is not a good sign.

Interesting. I had the wax removed about two weeks ago. I'm not sure what is leaking is actually pus. It's more liquid than solid, and yellowish in colour. I think this is what i had last time. It's been the same for the two weeks, occasionally the ear is itchy, but never painful. I just use a cotton bud to bring out the excess 'pus' when i feel it needs removing. I would also say the ear 'leaks' liquid, which i dab with a tissue.

I have a thin and short ear canal i believe.

I doubt very much it's an ear drum issue, and i think it's an outer ear problem, but i'm not sure what an inner ear problem is.

Part of my problem is i got burned by antibiotic pills last time. They then gave me antibiotic ear drops but i didn't want them after my experience. In the end i solved it either through non-antibiotic ear drops or the colloidal silver, or a combination of both. I'm not sure which solved it.

If it is an outer ear infection it can be treated with ear drops made with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol ( the blue stuff) and vinegar. Same as would be used to prevent or treat "swimmer's ear".

Edited by VocalNeal

I also have what my ENT calls "non self-cleaning ears." I think that's Latin, 555.

After years of having another ENT clean my ears periodically, this ENT prescribed an over the counter ear drop called Debrox twice a day for 3 days, and then a good rinsing with an ear syringe. I haven't needed to have my ears cleaned since.

For the very rare infection, I used to use Cortisporin Otic Suspension which cleared it right up, but I don't need it now with my new routine. When the ears are clean they don't stay moist and encourage infection.

I would take Sheryl's advice and see an ENT. You don't know for sure what is wrong. It's your ear at risk here, lol.

If you're determined not to see a doctor I would rinse that out with warm water and a rubber bulb ear syringe and then use the syringe to place what VocalNeal said, or use 3% hydrogen peroxide. You can dilute hydrogen peroxide with water if needed to get the strength you need.

Go see the doctor!!! Then start using an ear syringe to keep your ears clean. If you can't find Debrox, use 50/50 glycerin and alcohol for a couple of days to dissolve the wax and then flush with the syringe.

In the US we have a product called rubbing alcohol. It has baby oil in it to soften the skin as alcohol removes skin oil. I wouldn't want that in my ears. I'd buy isopropyl alcohol.

thanks for the replies and help. I'm going to visit a doctor today or tomorrow, if only to get their viewpoint. I am adamant i can't take antibiotics having had a bad experience already, never mind all the information out about them now.

NeverSure… it sounds like the debrox is not to clear an infection, rather to help stop wax building up in the first place? And, using an ear syringe, where would i get that from? Is it safe to do this oneself? This is now the second time i've had a doctor use the syringe and then i get an infection.

If it is an outer ear infection systemic antibiotics won't be indicated, just antibiotic drops. Which you should use.

Make sure you see a good ENT. You have not mentioned where you live. If in Bangkok, I suggest Prof. Songklot at St. Louis Hosp. If you are in CM, Dr Chalermpong Ariyadej at the Ram.

• Like 1

If it is an outer ear infection systemic antibiotics won't be indicated, just antibiotic drops. Which you should use.

Make sure you see a good ENT. You have not mentioned where you live. If in Bangkok, I suggest Prof. Songklot at St. Louis Hosp. If you are in CM, Dr Chalermpong Ariyadej at the Ram.

Thanks for this. I have a recurring outer ear irritation -right ear only. Been to see a several different GPs and none of what they gave me has cleared up the irritating itch. Nor do they claim to see anything when they look into my ear, even when it's itching so bad it drives me crazy.

Out of desperation, after the 3rd doc's treatment didn't work, I tried my dogs' Oridermal ear salve and presto- problem gone in hours and stays gone for about a month. About once a month, I retreat with Oridermal and it works fine.

But I'm really not comfortable using a veterinary product- and not understanding what the root problem is. I suspect allergies, but it sure would be nice to know. I'll try one of these ENT guys.

(Besides, I can't find Oridermal in BKK- I get it in China and I'm running very low, with no China trips planned soon.)

I went to my new hospital (work changed where i can get my insurance to pay) today. I live in chiang mai. I rarely go to hospitals so i'm in pretty new territory. Just go there for earwax removal. This is the second time in five years that it progressed to an infection, or at least that's what i've called it based on the last time.

I don't know if it was a good ENT, or even an ENT! I didn't see a sign. But the doctor was young, female, and spoke absolutely perfect english. She listened to my story from five years ago and told me about strong and mild antibiotics (i've barely taken any pills in my whole life), and there was much talk. A very good consultation, for sure.

After all the talk she then looked in the ear and immediately said i had a hole in the eardrum. I asked her if this meant a perforated eardrum. Affirmative. She told me to put nothing in my ears (i've been gingerly putting in thin cotton buds to remove the liquidy solid yellowy 'pus'; perhaps this perforated the drum? But the ear also 'weeps' liquid from time to time which i mop at with a tissue), and prescribed me amoxycilin and ibuprofen for five days. I go back to see her after this to see how things have progressed.

I wonder how that stands with expected protocol?!

I had an infection last year I could not shift with drops, had the ear unblocked and the doc at Pattaya Memorial hospital prescribe Prednisolone can't find any connection online for use with ear infections, but they worked. Cheap as well

http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Inflammatory%20disease&medicine=prednisolone

Please DYOR

I went to my new hospital (work changed where i can get my insurance to pay) today. I live in chiang mai. I rarely go to hospitals so i'm in pretty new territory. Just go there for earwax removal. This is the second time in five years that it progressed to an infection, or at least that's what i've called it based on the last time.

I don't know if it was a good ENT, or even an ENT! I didn't see a sign. But the doctor was young, female, and spoke absolutely perfect english. She listened to my story from five years ago and told me about strong and mild antibiotics (i've barely taken any pills in my whole life), and there was much talk. A very good consultation, for sure.

After all the talk she then looked in the ear and immediately said i had a hole in the eardrum. I asked her if this meant a perforated eardrum. Affirmative. She told me to put nothing in my ears (i've been gingerly putting in thin cotton buds to remove the liquidy solid yellowy 'pus'; perhaps this perforated the drum? But the ear also 'weeps' liquid from time to time which i mop at with a tissue), and prescribed me amoxycilin and ibuprofen for five days. I go back to see her after this to see how things have progressed.

I wonder how that stands with expected protocol?!

It sounds fine.

Hopefully she also warned against swimming. It will take some time for the perforation to heal.

It could have happened in the course of the ax removal.

Thank you very much sheryl for your time in replying. I have just made myself feel a bit better by researching perforated ear drums, and seeing, among others from the mayoclinic, that perforated eardrums can take a few weeks to heal, even without treatment. Your words have helped me too. I wonder now if i should even be taking these antibiotics? At least seeing the doctor had the proper diagnosis made.

Perhaps one last piece of advice. If after five days she says there's no improvement, she will want to put me on the course for another few days, or up the strength of the antibiotics. Since it seems the drum will heal itself in time, could i just exit the antibiotic course gracefully and be patient for my body to do the job itself?

I knew about not getting water in the ear, but she didn't tell me that, no! I asked her what to avoid or take while on the antibiotics. She replied alcohol and vitamin C through fruits.

In terms of natural remedies, a common one that comes up frequently is putting warm olive oil in the ear. Some suggest soaking garlic in the oil overnight first, draining the garlic off and then dropping into the ear. How does this sound to you? Is it a problem if i have a hole in my drum??

If it is an outer ear infection it can be treated with ear drops made with a 50/50 solution of isopropyl alcohol ( the blue stuff) and vinegar. Same as would be used to prevent or treat "swimmer's ear".

Even 60/40 vinegar/alcohol is ok. Been using it for decades to prevent swimmers ear.

OP, why do you continue to have your ear wax removed when the process causes you problems? You do realize that ear wax has a natural antibiotic substance in it?

If you insist on ear wax removal then suggest you look into ear "candles" or simply pouring hydrogen peroxide in your ear which softens ear wax and allows it to self-drain during sleep.

Edited by ClutchClark

Perhaps one last piece of advice. If after five days she says there's no improvement, she will want to put me on the course for another few days, or up the strength of the antibiotics. Since it seems the drum will heal itself in time, could i just exit the antibiotic course gracefully and be patient for my body to do the job itself?

I knew about not getting water in the ear, but she didn't tell me that, no! I asked her what to avoid or take while on the antibiotics. She replied alcohol and vitamin C through fruits.

In terms of natural remedies, a common one that comes up frequently is putting warm olive oil in the ear. Some suggest soaking garlic in the oil overnight first, draining the garlic off and then dropping into the ear. How does this sound to you? Is it a problem if i have a hole in my drum??

Better to listen to a medical doctor than people on a website forum when suffering from a real medical concern.

As for antibiotic courses, it is extremely important to continue the entire course as prescribed.

By failing to do this you help to create super-bacteria that is resistant to anti-biotics.

Lastly, if you are taking antibiotics then its important to eat yogurt to replace beneficial bacteria in your stomach.

Thank you very much sheryl for your time in replying. I have just made myself feel a bit better by researching perforated ear drums, and seeing, among others from the mayoclinic, that perforated eardrums can take a few weeks to heal, even without treatment. Your words have helped me too. I wonder now if i should even be taking these antibiotics? At least seeing the doctor had the proper diagnosis made.

Do not put anything in your ear with a perforated ear drum, very dangerous!!!!

You have not only a perforation but also an infection was evidenced by the pus. It needs antibiotics, do not stop them and expect your body to heal on its own.

If there is no improvement within 5 days she should culture the pus to find out exactly what bacteria is the source of the infection and then change to an appropriate antibiotic (which you should likewise take as instructed). Technically she should have done that in the first place but it is fairly common practice for doctors to guess at what bacteria is likely to be the cause and treat for that empirically first. If it does not work then culture is essential and you should insist upon it.

You need to get past your aversion to antibiotics in this instance, as unless the infection is fully cleared up (which home remedies WILL NOT achieve) you risk infection spreading into the mastoid bone at which point it is very serious and could require months of intravenous antibiotics to treat. (Google "mastoiditis" and "osteomyeltitis").

I can tell you first hand that ear drums sometimes don't heal by themselves then you need ear drum repair surgery. Stay on your antibiotics and hope for the best.

Sent from my HUAWEI MT1-U06 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

thanks for the replies and help. I'm going to visit a doctor today or tomorrow, if only to get their viewpoint. I am adamant i can't take antibiotics having had a bad experience already, never mind all the information out about them now.

NeverSure… it sounds like the debrox is not to clear an infection, rather to help stop wax building up in the first place? And, using an ear syringe, where would i get that from? Is it safe to do this oneself? This is now the second time i've had a doctor use the syringe and then i get an infection.

Sorry to be late getting back. I'm glad you went to the doctor before self-treating, but sorry to hear you have the ear drum problem. I hope it heals soon.

Debrox is only to dissolve wax and loosen dead skin from the eardrum. That allows the ear syringe to thoroughly rinse.

I see those rubber bulb ear syringes at every pharmacy and even super markets that have an over the counter drug section. Mine has lasted for years and it was cheap.

The tip of the syringe is thin enough that you can't build up pressure, but rather squirt a solid stream of liquid. It is also short enough that it doesn't touch the ear drum.

Before I regularly got my ears cleaned which was before I started using Debrox and a syringe, I would get a wax build up that would affect my hearing greatly, and encourage infections due to the retained moisture. There was also always a layer of dead skin cells on my ear drum that the ENT would show me after he peeled it off. Obviously that also affected my hearing.

Psssst. I think it's possible for an untrained doctor, lacking the correct tools, to perforate your ear drum in attempting to clean it. I believe there is no such danger with a safe solvent, proper syringe, and even 3% hydrogen peroxide at the first hint of itching due to outer ear infection.

Edited by NeverSure

Why use Debrox when Hydrogen Peroxide does the same thing for pennies?

Use warm water in the ear syringe.

See above. Hydrogen peroxide won't dissolve wax or loosen dead skin cells from the ear drum. Debrox is an ear-specific solvent that dissolves wax and loosens skin cells. Then the warm water flushes everything away. Hydrogen peroxide is good for disinfecting the ear.

Hydrogen peroxide 3% is 97% water. Debrox is glycerin and a couple of other things I can't remember and it dissolves.

PS. An ear syringe and Debrox are both cheap too. A bottle of Debrox recently cost me $6 US dollars and it will last for at least a couple of years. I use it only about every 3 months. A syringe is also very cheap and lasts many years.

Edited by NeverSure

See above. Hydrogen peroxide won't dissolve wax or loosen dead skin cells from the ear drum. Debrox is an ear-specific solvent that dissolves wax and loosens skin cells. Then the warm water flushes everything away. Hydrogen peroxide is good for disinfecting the ear.

Hydrogen peroxide 3% is 97% water. Debrox is glycerin and a couple of other things I can't remember and it dissolves.

PS. An ear syringe and Debrox are both cheap too. A bottle of Debrox recently cost me $6 US dollars and it will last for at least a couple of years. I use it only about every 3 months. A syringe is also very cheap and lasts many years.

Somebody better tell my ears that because I have been using it for this very application for over 60 years. Hydrogen Peroxide softens ear wax and the this talk of skin cells is pointless because they are removed during the irrigation process using the rubber syringe filled with warm water. Hydrogen peroxide is not used to treat the infection.

Good luck to the OP. i will keep my time proven remedies to myself. Now that pharmacuetical companies would have you believe their expensive products are the only things that work.

Even 60/40 vinegar/alcohol is ok. Been using it for decades to prevent swimmers ear.

OP, why do you continue to have your ear wax removed when the process causes you problems? You do realize that ear wax has a natural antibiotic substance in it?

If you insist on ear wax removal then suggest you look into ear "candles" or simply pouring hydrogen peroxide in your ear which softens ear wax and allows it to self-drain during sleep.

I only get the wax removed when it builds up to the point where i wake up one morning and it's blocking full hearing. What else am i to do? I certainly don't insist on it, i don't want it at all, but i do want good hearing. Doctors have never been able to give me proper information on how to avoid it builiding up in the first place. They just say my ear canal is too short, or something like that.

I've heard of hydrogen peroxide, but not from doctors. I like natural remedies when they work, but how to trust them?

Do not put anything in your ear with a perforated ear drum, very dangerous!!!!

You have not only a perforation but also an infection was evidenced by the pus. It needs antibiotics, do not stop them and expect your body to heal on its own.

If there is no improvement within 5 days she should culture the pus to find out exactly what bacteria is the source of the infection and then change to an appropriate antibiotic (which you should likewise take as instructed). Technically she should have done that in the first place but it is fairly common practice for doctors to guess at what bacteria is likely to be the cause and treat for that empirically first. If it does not work then culture is essential and you should insist upon it.

You need to get past your aversion to antibiotics in this instance, as unless the infection is fully cleared up (which home remedies WILL NOT achieve) you risk infection spreading into the mastoid bone at which point it is very serious and could require months of intravenous antibiotics to treat. (Google "mastoiditis" and "osteomyeltitis").

I won't be putting anything in my ear again! I am however using tissues to mop up the weepage that comes out, i trust that is okay to do. I also tug on the lobe a bit when inside gets itchy, which is fairly often.

I do have to thank you and everyone else on this forum for taking the time to try and help me. I hope everybody may bear with me after writing this post. I'm replying to sheryl's post specifically, but please, everyone is more than welcome to tell me where i'm wrong, or to give me their own experiences that confirm my ideas...

I am taking actions akin to an aetheist walking into a church of God to pray for good times! However, i do recognise that the 'house of hospital' can help at times. I am taking that route now, but i'm not sure how long i can continue to use antibiotics...

My own experience of antibiotics from five years ago to treat my last ear infection, along with all my research on them, makes me averse to these things. The one they gave me five years ago was ofloxacin, which has several potential side effects including 'permanent disability'. Many other slightly less problematic ones too! It affected both my body and brain and after two days i just had to stop them. I couldn't even think straight.

My understanding is that antibiotics weaken the immune system, open one up to candida infection, and of course expose one to any of the side effects that come with pills in general.

Furthermore sheryl, you are very insistent that home remedies will not work. I have read so much about colloidal silver (and it helped me last time) and how it is nature's natural antibiotic, and indeed was in every pharmacy before antibiotics were discovered. In addition apple cider vinegar and manuka honey get good raps, and i think the latter is anti-bacterial too. Hydrogen peroxide often gets mentioned, and that's a 'home remedy' too.

It seems to me that antibiotics may or may not work for a particular symptom for a particular person, but if one is unlucky and they don't work, then all you get is side effects and a weakened immune system, and you have opened yourself up to more problems down the line.

How can we be so sure home remedies do not work? And i thought the whole purpose of the human body was to be balanced, and if left to heal itself it will do so. Why should an ear drum not heal itself?

That said, am i taking antibitoics to clear up my infection so that once the infection is gone then my ear drum can heal itself properly? (I cannot for the life of me see how an antibiotic can actually help the drum go about closing up the hole that is in it.) And if i'm right with this thinking, then why can colloidal silver not do the job?

The trouble with colloidal silver is that because it's not a mainstream drug, nobody is allowed to say what dosages can be used to help out.

Better to listen to a medical doctor than people on a website forum when suffering from a real medical concern.

As for antibiotic courses, it is extremely important to continue the entire course as prescribed.

By failing to do this you help to create super-bacteria that is resistant to anti-biotics.

Lastly, if you are taking antibiotics then its important to eat yogurt to replace beneficial bacteria in your stomach.

But no! It's not necessarily better to listen to the medical doctor. I've come to this forum to invite ideas such as your own, and then it's up to me to make the call on what to accept or not. I've done this precisely because after, conservatively, about 3000 hours of research on food and health and medicine matters in the last six years i can clearly see the weaknesses and inadequacies of mainstream medicine and the whole approach of western 'health' care. I long went past the point where i can trust what they say. The big pity is that sometimes they do have the best ways, but once you find it hard to trust somebody, how can you tell the times when they are telling the truth??

I am taking some liquid probiotics to help offset the removal of all my beneficial gut flora by these antibiotics.

Normal yoghurt will do more damage than good!

Now, i have heard so many times how important it is for one to take the full course of antibiotics as prescribed. But how can a doctor know how many constitute a 'full course'?? Same for everybody regardless of body size, age, previous medical history, and so on??

As for creating superbacteria resistant to antibiotics, not me sir!! I don't take them normally. But the massive overuse of them has already done this, not to mention how many are in the meats the food companies produce.

Sheryl, i will do this, even though i don't want to! As it happens somebody kindly sent me a message suggesting i got the culture swab when i went to the hospital right from the start. Unfortunately due to me being in a very foreign place i completely forgot to do this. I was also taken aback by the doctor's perfect english and efforts to engage with me and my concerns.

It seems to me this guessing by the doctors unnecessarily increases the general usage of antibiotics by the popluaton at large, thereby contributing to all the potential problems we are now being warned about, re superbugs and so on.

It's easy to say take these antibiotics as instructed, but that's the whole problem with much of mainstream medicine: they all carry side effects, and often weaken one's immune system. What kind of approach is this?? And what actually caused my ear infection? They never look for causes to help us stop things from recurring. Are there underlying issues? For example, every year for two months (march to april) in chiang mai we get the burning season which leaves us all under a blanket of smog. For 12 years it's never affected me, this year it did and i was sneezing and blowing my nose for nigh on two months, only exacerbated by a ten day trip to england when it completely stopped, only to start up again upon my return to thailand.

It's very difficult to trust the system when the system has so many flaws.

If you don't want to help create super bugs, take the full course of antibiotics. If you stop early, you may, rather than kill them all, just make some of them resistant which they can pass to the next generation.

"Over-the-counter drops that help remove wax are all basically oil and peroxide solutions Brand names include Debrox and Murine. Hydrogen peroxide is present for the mechanical effect; it does not dissolve ear wax (Burkhart et al 2000). These preparations are best for those with small to moderate amounts of wax. These preparations should not be used by persons who have an eardrum perforation. We advise against use of enzyme-based preparations, such as Cerumenex, because of problems with allergy. One study found plain water to be more effective and faster than hydrogen peroxide or olive oil in dissolving ear wax."

LINK

Edited by NeverSure