Firefox risks irrelevance as mobile browsing booms

Lite Beer

Firefox risks irrelevance as mobile browsing booms
By Gregg Keizer

Browser%20makers%20user%20share.jpg

Computerworld - Mozilla's Firefox is in danger of becoming irrelevant as more browsing originates on smartphones and tablets, statistics from a Web measurement vendor show.

During April, about one in every six people who went online surfed the Web using a mobile browser, according to Net Applications. Mobile browsing's climb of more than 5 percentage points in the last 12 months represented a growth rate of 48%.

Most of the rest of those who went online in April did so armed with a desktop browser installed on a personal computer.

The shift toward mobile has hurt Mozilla most of all: Firefox's total user share -- the combination of both desktop and mobile -- was 14.1% for April, its lowest level since Computerworld began tracking the metric. That was only slightly ahead of Apple's Safari and significantly behind Google's Chrome and Android browsers.

Mozilla's dilemma continues to be its inability to attract a mobile audience. Although the company has long offered Firefox on Android, its share was so small that Net Applications did not even note it last month. And Mozilla's Firefox OS, a browser-based mobile operating system that has garnered limited support, didn't show up in the analytics company's numbers, either.

Mozilla's case hasn't been helped by a steady drain on its desktop user share, which in April slipped to 17% of all desktop browsers, down from 20% a year earlier.

Hot on Mozilla's heels in April was Apple, whose combined desktop and mobile browser user share reached 13.1%. Almost two-thirds of that was credited to Safari on iOS, the mobile operating system that powers iPhones and iPads. While Safari on iOS continued to shed share last month -- it's long been under attack from the glut of Android-powered devices used around the world -- the increase in mobile browsing's popularity was enough to actually boost its combined user share from September 2013, the last time Computerworld visited the topic.

Read More: http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9248415/Firefox_risks_irrelevance_as_mobile_browsing_booms

--ComputerWorld 2014-05-17

Maybe it will pick up when the $100 Firefox OS smartphones start hitting the market.

I'm getting one today, so I'll have a gander and report back.

Where are you buying that? Here in LOS or abroad?

I'm still hoping of dual booting my IQX3 with Firefox if one of the more technology literate users ports it over to the IQX3.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Hot-to-Dual-Boot-Android-4-4-2-and-Ubuntu-for-Phones-438840.shtml

I still like the features of FF on Android, tried out Opera but just didn't gel with me. Too fiddly on a 5" screen.

Edited by schondie
  • Like 1

I was reading somewhere that the Mozilla smartphones are not only all sold out, but were only a kind of beta version, which were lacking apps.

However, in saying that I wish them all the best and when they are properly made available, I'll surely want to don one in my pocket.

I was reading somewhere that the Mozilla smartphones are not only all sold out, but were only a kind of beta version, which were lacking apps.

However, in saying that I wish them all the best and when they are properly made available, I'll surely want to don one in my pocket.

Yes, I think that's the case but as many consumers won't touch a non Samsung or Apple phone we may be in luck with an oversupply if they sell them over here officially. As they're aimed at such places as Africa, India and other secondary markets we may get an official seller over here.

I'll use anything that's cheap, reliable and let's me make my own choices. Ubuntu, Mozilla and Android fit that bill but Windows and Apple don't. Then again, I played around with a friend's Nokia 520 - not bad at all. It's a decent phone for the money but certainly not for me as like personalising whatever I have until no one recognises what OS I'm using.

• Like 1

Yes, the Open was released last year.

This is the ZTE Open C

• Like 1

This smells like a paid for article planted by a rival.

Good point. I'll claim FF is so dated and similar to IE that if you don't want to be one uncool kids, you'd better use a different browser.

Having reread the article I think your assumption could be spot on.

As a long time user of Firefox, I believe that Firefox is being sabotaged today in the same way that Microsoft sabotaged Netscape, by inserting small snippets of code somewhere that make the browser just slightly less compatible with the current online world. Or, as one long time worker in the IT world recently told me: "the Internet does not like Firefox". Of course the corporate world that rules the Internet through the revenue generated by advertising would prefer that everyone access websites via "apps" that preclude blocking. The sheep are happy to trade computational power in exchange for added memory for their photos and videos.

• Like 1

As a long time user of Firefox, I believe that Firefox is being sabotaged today in the same way that Microsoft sabotaged Netscape, by inserting small snippets of code somewhere that make the browser just slightly less compatible with the current online world. Or, as one long time worker in the IT world recently told me: "the Internet does not like Firefox". Of course the corporate world that rules the Internet through the revenue generated by advertising would prefer that everyone access websites via "apps" that preclude blocking. The sheep are happy to trade computational power in exchange for added memory for their photos and videos.

What makes you think that Firefox is "sabotaged" ? Do you have some elements to prove it or is it just a gut feeling ?

Don't be so smug and superior. If the "sheep" have no use for extra computational power and just want the added memory on their expensive toys for their pix and vids - well, their money, their choice. If they're content, then that's all that matters. You have to live with them, and they're not worried about you.

On my iPad, I just use Safari - I have no issues and therefore apply the maxim "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". No need to even think about anything else. It allows me to access my company's OS (for which I'm only supposed to use Chrome) and CMS, although an iPad is hardly the best thing to use for work purposes. On my home PC (actually my laptop pimped up), I mostly use Chrome. FF seems to be too buggy and slow - even IE beats it (or is that my imagination?). Anyone used Torch? I've tried it, but it seems rather clunky and unsophisticated. It's claim to be more video friendly than the other browsers doesn't seem to hold water - I think they were aiming for a niche market in vids, but not really sure..

Edited by WitawatWatawit

I don't understand why there is no Firefox Browser for Mobile devices? sad.png

There's an Android version, and an ipad version. But given there are already browsers on the devices, most people will just use what is already there and not take up space with another browser.

There is...or at least for Android devices. I used FF for a while on my tablet but deleted it after a month or so because of compatibility issues....I know just use the Chrome and Dolphin browsers on my Android devices.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

The stats in the Opening Post seem to conflict with stats provided by other organizations such as Stats Counter Global Stats. For example below is a snapshot of Worldwide states of the Top 5 Desktop, Tablet, and Console Browsers for Apr 13 thru Apr 14. Chrome is #1 with a market share of 45% with other browsers distance seconds, thirds, etc....with IE and FF being down at 21% and 19%, respectively.

post-55970-0-25470700-1400473845_thumb.j

The latest upgrade for Firefox is a real turn-off for me. A lot of the more advanced options have been removed. For example, if a website doesn't identify the page's encoding and Firefox guesses wrong, there's now no way to change the encoding. Hopeless.

It's so typical these days to disenfranchise the power user.

User interfaces are dumbed down. Think Ubuntu Unity, Windows 8, Firefox 29.

Search engines are too "helpful". (Yes, Google, I really did want to search for that obscure word. Don't second guess me and return results for a different word. And don't return Thai results with the wrong tone mark just because there were so few results with the correct tone mark. And I shouldn't need to have to select "verbatim" for every query to make sure that all my search terms are included.)

Why don't developers think about the 1%?

What makes you think that Firefox is "sabotaged" ? Do you have some elements to prove it or is it just a gut feeling ?

A few items come to mind. The new Google maps is very slow to load and it is actually now quicker for me to just switch over to the older version each time I access that resource. There are now many websites whose fonts no longer display with 100% clarity. And Gmail now loads in a quirky manner. Is it sabotage? As I noted, it is my belief, just a gut feeling. But when I brought all this to the attention of a local tech guru, it was his response that "the Internet does not like Firefox".

I remember what happened when I discovered Firefox around the year 2000. Now that was great and of course it is a lot better now, but I couldn't believe my eyes. IE would be still plodding along with 20th century technology without FF's appearance, so I remain a loyal fan. I miss some addons on Chrome and dislike the fact that when I imort bookmarks from FF, I get the name of the bookmarks folders PLUS an empty grey square next to it, meaning my modest number of bookmarks folders runs off the screen. I also dislike having to avoid downloading the bloody thing unintentionally all the time, I uninstalled Chrome twice this year.

• Like 1

I believe that it was Microsoft that made their IE code non compliant with whatever the standard was. The result was that businesses made their software compatible with IE and thus incompatible with Netscape etc.

Although most people seem oblivious to government spying and data collection, I believe that it would be a positive step if someone produced a browser that was NSA, et al, proof.

It's not the browser, it's the HTTP traffic in the internet they can spy on. You can install f.ex. wireshark ( http://www.wireshark.org/ ) to see what your computer sends to the net when you're browsing. Firefox also has the developer tools built in, where you can see the network traffic.

There is...or at least for Android devices. I used FF for a while on my tablet but deleted it after a month or so because of compatibility issues....I know just use the Chrome and Dolphin browsers on my Android devices.

I have used Chrome and Dolphin in the past, but for more than a year now I find FF works seamlessly on the PC and Android devices and syncs bookmarks to all of them. Wouldn't want any other browser.

• Like 1