Thai Immigration: Border insecurity mounts as tourist visa abuse is targeted

AT SOM WAT, I am from the US and going back. Why do you ask? well, it is corrupt here, the people are racist and rude, and there is an unrealistic view of the world and of themselves. I also lived in Europe two years and loved it. I have traveled and lived all over the world for my work and for the experience. As I have stated before, most of the cultures I have met have been great people. I have to say that the superficial values and lack of self awareness of Thailand as a whole is the worst I have ever seen. The place has been turned into a garbage dump. Oh yeah, I am also Buddhist and wanted to experience a predominately buddhist country...should have gone to Nepal...lol. BTW, Some of my best friends in the US are Thais and their view of Thailand is exactly the same as mine. They even warned me before I came. They told me that my sense of organization, honesty, and open mindedness would actually be a hinderance here. THEY WERE RIGHT! Can't wait to go home! Also, I am very well connected with Thais here, some of which have never had a farang friend. When they hear how Thais talk about us when we are out, they are shocked. They have never been exposed to that side (racist side) of Thailand before and they agree as well and understand my feelings now. I have a Thai fiance', and the story is the same for her. She has never had a farang boyfriend and she also concurred. Originally, she insisted we lived here but after 8 months together, she wants to leave as soon as her Master's degree is finished. There are some great people here but the highest concentration of ignorance I have ever seen as well.

Edited by geoman1976
  • Like 1

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AT SOM WAT, I am from the US and going back. Why do you ask? well, it is corrupt here, the people are racist and rude, and there is an unrealistic view of the world and of themselves. I also lived in Europe two years and loved it. I have traveled and lived all over the world for my work and for the experience. As I have stated before, most of the cultures I have met have been great people. I have to say that the superficial values and lack of self awareness of Thailand as a whole is the worst I have ever seen. The place has been turned into a garbage dump. Oh yeah, I am also Buddhist and wanted to experience a predominately buddhist country...should have gone to Nepal...lol. BTW, Some of my best friends in the US are Thais and their view of Thailand is exactly the same as mine. They even warned me before I came. They told me that my sense of organization, honesty, and open mindedness would actually be a hinderance here. THEY WERE RIGHT! Can't wait to go home! Also, I am very well connected with Thais here, some of which have never had a farang friend. When they hear how Thais talk about us when we are out, they are shocked. They have never been exposed to that side (racist side) of Thailand before and they agree as well and understand my feelings now. I have a Thai fiance', and the story is the same for her. She has never had a farang boyfriend and she also concurred. Originally, she insisted we lived here but after 8 months together, she wants to leave as soon as her Master's degree is finished. There are some great people here but the highest concentration of ignorance I have ever seen as well.

I assume you are a reasonably fluent Thai speaker to see the racist side so clearly behind the politeness, right? Otherwise, too much of frustration means a cultural gap, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

AT SOM WAT, I am from the US and going back. Why do you ask? well, it is corrupt here, the people are racist and rude, and there is an unrealistic view of the world and of themselves. I also lived in Europe two years and loved it. I have traveled and lived all over the world for my work and for the experience. As I have stated before, most of the cultures I have met have been great people. I have to say that the superficial values and lack of self awareness of Thailand as a whole is the worst I have ever seen. The place has been turned into a garbage dump. Oh yeah, I am also Buddhist and wanted to experience a predominately buddhist country...should have gone to Nepal...lol. BTW, Some of my best friends in the US are Thais and their view of Thailand is exactly the same as mine. They even warned me before I came. They told me that my sense of organization, honesty, and open mindedness would actually be a hinderance here. THEY WERE RIGHT! Can't wait to go home! Also, I am very well connected with Thais here as well, some of which have never had a farang friend. When they hear how Thais talk about us when we are out, they are shocked. They have never been exposed to that side (racist side) of Thailand before and they agree as well and understand my feelings now. I have a Thai fiance', and the story is the same for her. She has never had a farang boyfriend and she also concurred. Originally, she insisted we lived here but after 8 months together, she wants to leave as soon as her Master's degree is finished. There are some great people here but the highest concentration of ignorance I have ever seen as well.

good thoing youre leaving for all concerned

agreed!!!!

good luck with your self proclaimed open-minded

ness in all your

future experiences

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1

I assume you are a reasonably fluent Thai speaker to see the racist side so clearly behind the politeness, right? Otherwise, too much of frustration means a cultural gap, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

<deleted> And yes, I and my thai friends hear the comments for no apparent reason. Like I said before, I do know some great people here. But if you mean polite by apologizing to me when I tell the Thais I understand what they say, then I don't really see that as polite.

Edited by Tywais
Non-english removed from post.

What exactly is illegal about being a tourist. I know at least a dozen oil guys who are not working in Thailand who use Thailand as a base to come and go from.

The story of the Russian woman provided no proof at all that she was working. If she had had 20k they would have let her in. They should be arresting illegal workers without permits if the issue is illegal work. Not judging arbitrarily on tourist arrivals.

Technically Roman Abrahomivic is subject to the same scrutiny if he comes for 5 holidays per year and stays in his own apartment.

Yes, those oil and gas guys do that and are ok.

She was working.

3. Yes, he is.

Where does it say the o and g guys are OK? Nowhere. They will possibly get caught up in this despite not working.

Where does it say that for sure the woman was working?

Nowhere did it say that. They surmised.

They should create a visa for non above 50 year olds to stay I believe.

Why aren't they busting businesses and checking work permits?, that would be too much like hard work....

I guess you have never spent much time in the Southern US when talking about ignorance. Just learn to be more open to other people difference.

• Like 2

What exactly is illegal about being a tourist. I know at least a dozen oil guys who are not working in Thailand who use Thailand as a base to come and go from.

The story of the Russian woman provided no proof at all that she was working. If she had had 20k they would have let her in. They should be arresting illegal workers without permits if the issue is illegal work. Not judging arbitrarily on tourist arrivals.

Technically Roman Abrahomivic is subject to the same scrutiny if he comes for 5 holidays per year and stays in his own apartment.

She was working.

3. Yes, he is.

Where does it say the o and g guys are OK? Nowhere. They will possibly get caught up in this despite not working.

Why aren't they busting businesses and checking work permits?, that would be too much like hard work....

Just another exception to be abused

Those who are comparing this favorably to western policies must surely be in favor of repealing the act that specifically prohibits foreigners from working in nearly ever profession.

Edited by BudRight

The laff is on you. Nepal is predominantly Hindu.

'nuff said

~

Edited by 'nuff said
  • Like 1

Do you love Thailand? Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said he asked the complaining operators. I told them that if you love our country, you must understand that these types of tourists are destroying our country by stealing jobs from Thais.

Thai people can't do this in other countries. Why would we let people from other countries do this to us? We have been kind to these people for so long. Now it's time to be stricter about the law."

I see and feel your kindness everyday, how could I have been so blind. Thank you for showing me the light, I didn't realise that by bringing my entire salary into this country and using it all to support my Thai wife and daughter and Thailand without any chance of ownership or rights in return, that I was being so thoughtless and selfish, sorry

• Like 2

I think the Thais are right. If they allowed foreigners to freely work here, 99% of the jobs would be taken by more competent foreigners. Protectionism is what holds the cards in place.

U want to work for Thai wages?
Not me, as I've retired by choice, but I know a few youngsters in their 20's who would. I think they count the cheap sex as a benefit, which balances the scale.

If you took the women out of this country, well I think the problem wouldn't even exist.

Do you love Thailand? Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said he asked the complaining operators. I told them that if you love our country, you must understand that these types of tourists are destroying our country by stealing jobs from Thais.

Thai people can't do this in other countries. Why would we let people from other countries do this to us? We have been kind to these people for so long. Now it's time to be stricter about the law."

I see and feel your kindness everyday, how could I have been so blind. Thank you for showing me the light, I didn't realise that by bringing my entire salary into this country and using it all to support my Thai wife and daughter and Thailand without any chance of ownership or rights in return, that I was being so thoughtless and selfish, sorry

Great quotes. The only potential job being taken over by someone might be some Russian extra curricular.

Its hardly as though that is comparable now is it.

I think the Thais are right. If they allowed foreigners to freely work here, 99% of the jobs would be taken by more competent foreigners. Protectionism is what holds the cards in place.

U want to work for Thai wages?
Not me, as I've retired by choice, but I know a few youngsters in their 20's who would. I think they count the cheap sex as a benefit, which balances the scale.

If you took the women out of this country, well I think the problem wouldn't even exist.

A Thai friend of our family with a degree from overseas was offered 17k baht starting in Bangkok and she thought that was high.....

I was offered 17k GBP per year 20 years ago to start with the same company in London.

It is beer money.

Edited by Thai at Heart
  • Like 1

She was working.
3. Yes, he is.

Google the Russian woman's name. She is listed as working at a diving business.

So all her protests were lies and more lies. boo hoo hoo deport her

'nuff said

~

can a Thai do the same in your country?

There s a fair amount of racist paranoia here - partly by Thai immigration and a lot by TV posters.

I think the thread is highlighting 2 main issues

One is about work permits and who should or shouldn't work here and the other is about the enforcement of these various visas or exemptions.

If you arrive in Thailand as a tourist you need to be one - accepted. But how does immigration decided? Well past experience would suggest that either by universal dictum or by their own profoundly inconstant judgement. Neither of these seem acceptable.

The solution must lie in considering WHY this problem has arisen. Firstly there is a need for these workers. Secondly Thai immigration policy rather than meet the need with work visas and permits has just done nothing and allowed the numbers of people working illegally get out of hand - it is a problem of their own making and as ever they seem incapable of sorting it out rationally.

All countries need workers from out side - Generalisation here - in Europe the need is for young unskilled labor to do the dirty work....in developing nations you need expertise, this doesn't necessarily mean super-qualified doctors, it means people who know how to run a dive school, and other tourist activities aimed at foreigners, those who understand international industry or hospitality, nurses, trainers in all aspects of industry and healthcare, teachers of languages, ROAD SAFETY EXPERTS......the list is endless and Thailand needs to be aware.

If Thailand reviews how foreigners can set up companies and relates the rules to each particular area of business and allows foreigners to do this as well as employ other foreigners then the country as a whole will benefit. At the moment the situation is out of date and disorganised and of course will lead to people working here without the proper permissions.

• Like 2

Don't know really as I've been here for 10 years, legally I might add and I still can't get a telephone line. My point is that officials in this country always seem to be blaming everyone but them selves for poorly managing their country. You don't see them getting too concerned about the large death toll on the roads but they are worried about cheap labourors taking jobs that they don't want themselves. I think they need to reassess what their priority's are, but if they can fix my road or at least fill in the pot holes and give me a phone line I'll be happy

• Like 1

If it about money for the government why not just allow people to pay 1,900 baht a month at immigration and by pass

the visa run bus companies.

Don't know really as I've been here for 10 years, legally I might add and I still can't get a telephone line. My point is that officials in this country always seem to be blaming everyone but them selves for poorly managing their country. You don't see them getting too concerned about the large death toll on the roads but they are worried about cheap labourors taking jobs that they don't want themselves. I think they need to reassess what their priority's are, but if they can fix my road or at least fill in the pot holes and give me a phone line I'll be happy

they sure cant in mine

Nor in mine.

The fact that you are "bringing in your entire salary" to Thailand is not reason enough for a visa since no such specific visa is offered.

Having a Thai wife and daughter though definitely is so you should have no problem? smile.png

She was working.

3. Yes, he is.

Google the Russian woman's name. She is listed as working at a diving business.

So all her protests were lies and more lies. boo hoo hoo deport her

'nuff said

~

If so, no complaints from me.

However, did they know for sure, with proof or just surmise. Because if they surmised to catch her, they will catch an equal amount of innocent people.

This is going to turn into a joke.

You cannot travel to Australia, Britain, America, Canada or any other such nation, and walk in and start working in any capacity without applying for a work visa.

Whether they are taking a potential job away from a Thai resident is irrelevant, a non tourist person who works without the proper paperwork is an illegal alien, you would be the same in just about any other country in the world so what is your problem?

True ..

But certainly speaking from an Australian view there are plenty who do ! ..Just as in Thai , hospitality , cleaning , cash business ..

many other examples , its pretty similar .

You cannot travel to Australia, Britain, America, Canada or any other such nation, and walk in and start working in any capacity without applying for a work visa.

Whether they are taking a potential job away from a Thai resident is irrelevant, a non tourist person who works without the proper paperwork is an illegal alien, you would be the same in just about any other country in the world so what is your problem?

True ..

But certainly speaking from an Australian view there are plenty who do ! ..Just as in Thai , hospitality , cleaning , cash business ..

Equally certain is that Australia tries to stop it. Just as Thailand have the right to and should do.

True ..

Equally certain is that Australia tries to stop it. Just as Thailand have the right to and should do.

Intention is worthless. All that matters is the effect.