Thai Immigration: Border insecurity mounts as tourist visa abuse is targeted

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know 3 thai women that went to S Korea recently on the 90 day waiver and got sent back to Thailand as they had no proof of what they were doing in

the country

Edited by chaiyapoon

I'm surprised so many on here moan about Immigration suggesting they need to have 20'000"baht in their pocket.

That was certainly the complaint from the Russian woman who was rejected yet that sum will not last long in Phuket.

Lots of Russians have bought condos in place like Karon and are now renting them out on sites such as AirBnB.

Hotels hate that site as it offers great accommodation at half their room rates.

Thailand if rife with Farangs working in the tourist sector as diving instructors etc,bar owners, and teachers.

Yes, I do believe that Immigration cares about getting it right, no sympathies for the illegals who have exploited the loopholes and tried to play the system, they just make life more difficult for the rest of us..

You really don't understand the Thai system or mentality. If they care about anything remotely related to something we could call "right"....it's the care they have in creating the IMAGE of making things APPEAR to be right, when in reality things are still far from being right.

Why does it have to be your definition of "right", are you Thai and/or have you lived here since birth?No, I thought not! Farangs getting bent out of shape because the government of their host country do things the Thai way rather than the way things are done "back home", sad really.

If you abuse the system what do you expect - no other country will put up with the nonsense of people coming and going as if it is their right to do so. A tourist visa is a tourist visa - not an invitation to stay for ever.

My feeling is that both this poster and Thai immigration are approaching the problem from the wrong angle. And rather than solve it by piecemeal bureaucratic dictums they should be looking at long term policies on importing workers from abroad. Most countries welcome expertise and erntrepreneurialism from outside in one form or another as it benefits their own economies.......Thailand should take note, rather than rely on a list and system put in place God knows when without any real research or planning.

They imported a large immigrant entrepreneurial population already, which has then proceeded to put up as many barriers to entry as it can, so that they can exploit the Thai market without any fuss.

• Like 1

Not that I am advocating illegal working, but are foreigners really taking jobs of Thais? It's difficult enough to find Thai staff as it is, and I don't think there is a massive pool of Korean and Russian speaking Thais

My Thai girlfriend was looking for work in restaurant recently, was told we only hire people from Myanmar. Why is that?

I'm surprised so many on here moan about Immigration suggesting they need to have 20'000"baht in their pocket.

That was certainly the complaint from the Russian woman who was rejected yet that sum will not last long in Phuket.

Lots of Russians have bought condos in place like Karon and are now renting them out on sites such as AirBnB.

Hotels hate that site as it offers great accommodation at half their room rates.

Thailand if rife with Farangs working in the tourist sector as diving instructors etc,bar owners, and teachers.

First of all what does rife mean? 80% of those jobs can't be done by Thais. Secondly, how do you know these people aren't legal?

Pol Col Sangkhom Tadso, immigration chief in Mukdahan which borders Laos, told Spectrum that his staff had been enforcing the changes for the past two weeks, mainly targeting South Koreans. “There are 8,000 Thais deported from South Korea every year, while Thai immigration only deports 20 South Koreans per year,”

The above is a big problem and should be addressed, those Koreans are going to feel the wrath of a Thai retaliation for the Korean Governments Xenophobia.

For example if Thailand ever deports / refuses entry to 8000 British people in one year I would certainly expect that the British government will make it much harder for any Thai to ever step foot inside the UK, most probably by just preventing visas from being issued. No matter how hard it is right now I would expect it to get much harder in future. If refusals go up by 100% then this should be reciprocated. European bureaucrats are very good at this sort of thing and it would be foolish to think there won't be retaliations from countries around the world. In the UK there is a widespread dislike of foreigners working in the country illegally and there's even a 'border force' which goes around foreign owned businesses like restaurants arresting people on the spot and throwing them in jail - I think we will see more Thai owned businesses in the UK targeted as a result of this.

The airlines are going to go nuts over this issue as August 12th approaches as the initial responsibility for correct documentation falls to them and they will come up with a set of very specifically defined rules which should guarantee entrance on arrival as there are fines for the airline if anyone is refused entrance on arrival due to incorrect documentation.

The reason US Immigration have a presence in Ireland and other countries has nothing to do with convenience for the traveller - it's so people can be refused entrance to the US before they even get on the plane. This way they will have airlines who still fly the route without massive liability risks and costs to themselves when someone is deported on entry.

• Like 2

"Actually they can so you are incorrect."

Yup. Mea culpa. I looked at the 30-day chart and didn't notice the 90-day chart.

I'd be curious when this came into effect. It seems like it wasn't so long ago (last year?) that I checked thoroughly (unlike today) and Thais needed a visa unless they just happened to have a valid USA tourist visa in their passport.

Edited by mahjongguy

So I have a triple entry tourist visa that I bought in the UK. I've planned on staying here and travelling around Thailand for up to 6 months at which point I planned on travelling up through Laos through the border crossing and seeing some of that country.

I've paid legitimately for my visa on the plan that it's a a legal document to stay in the country for 60 days per entry as long as I use up the 3rd entry before 6 months.

Are they now saying this is no longer valid? Will the embassy in the UK that issued it be writing to inform me of this before and offer me a refund for my visa? Or will I not know until the day I attempt a border crossing? Of course, I can take the 20k baht with me but will that make a difference?

I'll be fuming if they rebuke my visa for no apparent reason. I've planned this trip for a long time.

How is getting a multiple entry tourist visa from your own country abusing the system? Surely they should just not grant the damn thing in the first place?

They should have to honour these visas really

What a load of rubbish from the Pol lt col , I agree about the Russians and their peaceful and silent infiltration of the country, which as we know has backfired on them, and rightly so, but South Koreans who ive never met one, apart from on hols.

Has he forgot about the estimated two million Burmese living here , ive no idea of how many illegals, that do the jobs the Thais either won't do or cannot, mainly in the building, fishing , and resort staffing areas.

If Immigration were to crackdown on them and they went home, the economy would crash.

I don't think they would be allowed to do it, so its total hypocracy, which none of them would understand.

Have you noticed the number of single Russian girls with babys buzing around, they have no partners with them keep themselves to themselves but llve in the same area.

Ive been told they are being given grants to have kids back home and can live abroad and recieve benefits so thats why the've come here. Whats that all about !

Edited by phanangpete

So I have a triple entry tourist visa that I bought in the UK. I've planned on staying here and travelling around Thailand for up to 6 months at which point I planned on travelling up through Laos through the border crossing and seeing some of that country.

I've paid legitimately for my visa on the plan that it's a a legal document to stay in the country for 60 days per entry as long as I use up the 3rd entry before 6 months.

Are they now saying this is no longer valid? Will the embassy in the UK that issued it be writing to inform me of this before and offer me a refund for my visa? Or will I not know until the day I attempt a border crossing? Of course, I can take the 20k baht with me but will that make a difference?

I'll be fuming if they rebuke my visa for no apparent reason. I've planned this trip for a long time.

How is getting a multiple entry tourist visa from your own country abusing the system? Surely they should just not grant the damn thing in the first place?

You're a tourist, this won't affect you.

People living in Thailand on visa exempt entries should be worried now, those living here on tourist visa could get into problems later.

They have an issue where people do this on a permanent basis for many years back to back.

However from what I've read on this forum one guy from New York who had never been to Thailand before came on a multiple entry tourist visa and stayed for 90 days, he then went to another country for a visit and returned to Thailand. He was hassled by immigration when he returned for about 5 hours for no good reason. He was a legitimate tourist considering Thailand as a retirement destination.

This was on a tourist visa and they were applying the regulations which don't come into affect for another two months.

They let him in eventually but this guy was not happy and from what I've read he is now planning on retiring to a different country and I can't say I blame him.

• Like 2

First of all what does rife mean? 80% of those jobs can't be done by Thais. Secondly, how do you know these people aren't legal?

If they are visa running on a tourist visa then they are not legal. The Russian woman stopped at Phuket airport was doing that.

If you want to work in Thailand you need a work permit and certain sector of employment are not open to foreigners.

"Actually they can so you are incorrect."

Yup. Mea culpa. I looked at the 30-day chart and didn't notice the 90-day chart.

I'd be curious when this came into effect. It seems like it wasn't so long ago (last year?) that I checked thoroughly (unlike today) and Thais needed a visa unless they just happened to have a valid USA tourist visa in their passport.

Many, many years already, hence the many south koreans working here illegally and staying on the 90 days visa exempt. Never any hassle until now.

People living in Thailand on visa exempt entries should be worried now, those living here on tourist visa could get into problems later.

Those problems are starting now. After August 12th this will affect anyone travelling to Thailand on multiple tourist visa entries.

Also I would not be surprised if it affects people who don't have work permits but travel on multiple entry business visas but that remains to be seen - this will also affect a lot of people.

If they see that you're living here then I expect people to be denied entry unless they have work permits / marriage visas.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Yea this all smells a bit. Besides some wrongdoers there are much more people bringing in money. Specially for the small business man. Room and food here, taxi there. But heey the elite don't care, they have an agenda and I'm sure it's matching up with the global agenda for less and less freedom.
  • Like 2

Not that I am advocating illegal working, but are foreigners really taking jobs of Thais? It's difficult enough to find Thai staff as it is, and I don't think there is a massive pool of Korean and Russian speaking Thais

Go Go dancers don't say much, wherever they come from............smile.png

So within a week they have already moved one notch up the chain, from visa exempt entries, to tourist visa holders.

Despite the article's headline and repeated misstatements in the text, it is not tourist visas that are being discussed. Perhaps there will be a crackdown on tourist visas in the future, but this discussion is about visa exempt entries (aka visa waiver).

That no longer seems to be the case.. People with tourist visas are also being heavily scrutinized to prove they are only tourists.

However there seems no clear distinction between long staying tourist, and short term resident..

• Like 1

Why are you all so upset, Thailand is just becomming like all the other western countries.

You mean with free heathcare, schooling, free language classes, and a decent and clear route to citizenship in a couple of years..

After that a decent income support, housing benefit and pension on its way is it ??

Of course not, the bureaucracy is catching up but there are zero benefits.

Those problems are starting now. After August 12th this will affect anyone travelling to Thailand on multiple tourist visa entries.<snip>

Disagree with you there, genuine tourists traveling on Tourist Visa's need not worry. As you mention later yourself, people living in Thailand on tourist visa should start to worry.

• Like 1

as a tourist in a strange country you may expect they have theire own

language

I understand that they have a problem with people doing back to back tourist visas. So just don't grant the visa again to them.

You can't go letting somebody pay for something then change your mind for no reason. Not only would I bet that it would be illegal somehow, but it's immoral as well. It's just not right.

It might not be illegal in tbis country but I bet it is in the UK. You can't take money from someone then not give them the goods. I won't accept it and I'm sure a lot more people won't either.

It's not the cost of the visa, it's the principle of it.

• Like 2

Sounds like BS, what about the stolen passport and the Malaysian flight hoax? Last time "officials" said this was the reason.

No actually they didnt.. The Phuket news speculated this.. Then carried the speculation on in a second story despite officials saying it wasnt about that.

The immigration boss has even come out and clearly stated it isnt about the flight.. Its Phuket news's fault and they just guessed and ran with it.

If they are visa running on a tourist visa then they are not legal. The Russian woman stopped at Phuket airport was doing that.

If you want to work in Thailand you need a work permit and certain sector of employment are not open to foreigners.

But if you dont work ??

What is the difference between someone staying 9 months on a triple entry tourist visa, and someone who is resident for a large portion of the year while working outside Thailand.

Its a huge grey area, and the immigration has to define exactly what is a tourist and what is a resident, not simply based on the guy at the desk mood of the day.

If you want to catch people who are working, then catch people working, or demand proof of inward remittance of money and spending of same. Its very simple to see if someones bringing in say 800k per year and verify they dont earn it here.

• Like 1