looking for a house to rent

Muli

Hi,

I am going to move to Chiang Mai with my family (three Children 7,9,12 years) for minimum two years in July. So we looking for a house to rent up to 40.000 THB/ mounth.

It should be not so far from Saraphee. A community with some other children would be greate.

Can someone give me a tip?

For 40k you will be looking at palaces.

Forget about looking until you are here,rental properties move fast, anything you find from afar will be 2x or 3x the going rate.

For example.

4 bedroom house near the Adventure Hotel (1km) rubbish furniture but great location at end of moobaan, 15k/month.

I looked at it last week with a friend, if you are here 2 years you can afford to buy some furniture.

That was just cruising the area on m/cs.

Beware of agents. (price x2)

Beware of foreigners working illegally as agents. (price x4)

The illegal foreigner property agents will really, really cheat you.

(there are no legally working foreign property agents, that employment is exclusively reserved for Thai nationals)

Stay at a guest house while you house hunt yourself.

Longest it would take is a week.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

"Beware of foreigners working illegally as agents. (price x4)

The illegal foreigner property agents will really, really cheat you.

(there are no legally working foreign property agents, that employment is exclusively reserved for Thai nationals)"

The underlined part of that post is untrue, there are a number of international and national real estate firms that employee foreigners and owned by them also, CBR Richard Ellis, Colliers, Knight Frank, .joneslanglasalle, and so on. It's also not forbidden for foreigners to own real estate companies in Thailand hence there are many local and national firms owned by them.

the problem is that I have never been in Chiang Mai before. I saw many properties in the internet and I can visit them but than I will know nothing about the neighbourhood and the people. I am short on experiance what I have to consider and where I should start.

I guess the agents are not the best advisors because they want make the deal. Whatever legal or ilagal.

Location is a difficult thing to advise on since much of it is down to individual taste. Saraphee is East of Chiang Mai and that gives you lots of scope to go North to Mae Rim, West towards Watkate and Muang and South to Nong Hoi and Hangdong. I'll leave it to others to recommend areas they prefer but I suggest you should be able to easily find what you're looking for around 25k/30k. Perhaps a couple of weeks in a serviced apartment would hurt, just whilst you get your bearings and have a chance to decide which area you like? If so, the following may appeal: http://www.sakornresidence.com/

Dear mr chow

this is why I asked you and told you that I am short on experience. I´ll come from Germany to Chiang Mai with a big family because of my job and this is my budget from my employer. He doesn´t offered me something in Mexico:) If I would know something about the rates I would not ask. Instead blaming you should keep me for killing chiang mai.

Edited by Tywais
Deleted inflammatory post removed

There used to be, and may still be, an Honorary German Consul in Chiang Mai. Very nice man and I am sure very helpful.

If you are a German citizen, you could try to contact your German government department which the consuls come under and see if there is still a presence in Chiang Mai.

This information may be old:

German Consulate in Chiang Mai, Thailand

Consulate of Germany in Chiang Mai, Thailand
199/163 Moo 3, Baan Nai Fun 2, Kan Klong Chonpratan Road, Tambon Mae Hia, Amphoe Muan, Chiang Mai 50100, Thailand

• City: Chiang Mai
  • Phone: (+66) (53) 83 87 35
  • Fax: (+66) (53) 83 87 35
  • Email: <removed>
  • Office Hours: 09.00 - 12.00

By the way: the last time I was near this office the restaurant directly above it, which may have been run by the man's Thai wife, was excellent. I must admit it has been years since I have been there.

Edited by onthedarkside
email removed as per forum rules

Assuming you might be using the German school in Saraphi? A friend of mine who had children there a few years ago rented a house in Ban Wang Tan (moo bahn - housing compound). It was convenient for her as she said there was a back entrance which gave easy access to Saraphi journey.

You might want to verify the back entrance still exists but that area worked for her.

Don't have much experience directly except from visiting people there, seems nice and spacious, lots of trees, although I gather overhead planes can be a bother.

Why not try moo ban Palm Springs on the Mahidol road a short drive from the airport and town.

I have a house in there ,currently renting it out at the moment but it if you take a drive around the village you will see some properties up for rent , I know the the house opposite mine is-for rent at 40 k a month.

It's a very nice place to live , swimming pool tennis courts a park .

Quite a few westerners mainly working for foreign companies who also bring the families along .

Most of the children go to international schools who have a pick up and drop off service for the children which is one less thing to worry about.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I'd just like to strongly encourage you to plan on a temporary residence for the first six-weeks, so you can take time to get to know the city a little, and personally inspect a variety of houses on offer. There is a a lot "due diligence" you should carry out before signing any long-term rental contract here.

There's a weekly classifieds e-mail here, published each Thursday, that often lists sub-lets for houses: example:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1T4FDhEFeMay00dbAwpdc5WLuwDfI4VrkLryeTH-cJ4Q/pub?utm_source=Chaingmai+Christian+Community+Classifieds+%28CCCC%29+Subscribers&utm_campaign=9e1b9fb81c-CCCC_Classifieds_2014_04_254_17_2014&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_89fac3f4fe-9e1b9fb81c-115029061

You can subscribe via this link:

http://tinyurl.us7.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=19515685a2d196562c9382243&id=89fac3f4fe

If you want to PM me, I can give you contact for a Thai real-estate agent I know; she has lived in Texas for many years and is licensed in Texas as a real-estate agent, and she has been helpful to several members of this forum I have referred to her.

good luck, ~o:37;

I agree with alj6700.

Palm Springs is, in my opinion, the most beautifull Moo Bahn in the city.

For 40.000 you can even rent a nice house with private swimmingpool.

We've a family with three kids too. After renting two, two too expensive properties (by agents). We've found, with the help of the local people, a big nice house for 10k.

It's worth the time looking for the best place to live.

• Like 1

I agree with alj6700.
Palm Springs is, in my opinion, the most beautifull Moo Bahn in the city.
For 40.000 you can even rent a nice house with private swimmingpool.
We've a family with three kids too. After renting two, two too expensive properties (by agents). We've found, with the help of the local people, a big nice house for 10k.
It's worth the time looking for the best place to live.

Yes i agree

With the help of friends you will not get ripped of by the agents.

When i am ready i will also ask my friends for help.

This forum is very helpfull. Love it, Also thanks for the personal massages by skype.

We will sign a short time contract to see locally.