Why Issue Double or Triple Entry Tourist Visas

"This same scrutiny would apply to multiple-entry tourist visas issued by the Thai embassy in an individual’s home country. They could also be asked to provide evidence of financial support, which is typically 20,000 baht."

Do they expect the border crosser to have 20,000 baht in cash with them when they re-enter Thailand? Will the border official be able to read and understand the printout showing the airline reservation leaving the country at the expiry of the last entry?

I just wanted to point out that a double or triple entry visa is not necessarily expected by the authorities to be used for same day border runs.

A friend of mine is applying for a triple entry tourist visa soon, but he will be going home for 1+ month in between each visit to Thailand.

But IF I was a genuine tourist and I had to do a border run (which I will never do) then I would make sure I had printed out a hotel reservation and had THB 20'000+ in my pocket, maybe even some printed out bank statements and anything else which would prove I am making money outside of Thailand.

Heck I'd probably even bring some tourist brochures of things I want to see in Thailand.

Anything to satisfy immigration that I am merely a tourist and am simply returning so soon because I didn't see everything I wanted to see yet.

Better be safe than sorry.

EDIT: I didn't notice your remark about having a airplane ticket leaving Thailand. That obviously is great to have and SHOULD in a perfect world alleviate any concerns they may have.

Edited by Stanley78
  • Like 2

The one and only tourist visa I got in the US I had to send copies of my bank statement to the Honorary Consulate to prove money in bank.

Unfortunately because how rules are implemented can vary greatly both from consulate/embassy and over time, it is not possible for an immigration officer to know what proof you have already provided in order to get the visa in the first place.

I must say I'm a little bit surprised that they'd ask for that in the states though.

Edited by Stanley78

I just wanted to point out that a double or triple entry visa is not necessarily expected by the authorities to be used for same day border runs.

A friend of mine is applying for a triple entry tourist visa soon, but he will be going home for 1+ month in between each visit to Thailand.

But IF I was a genuine tourist and I had to do a border run (which I will never do) then I would make sure I had printed out a hotel reservation and had THB 20'000+ in my pocket, maybe even some printed out bank statements and anything else which would prove I am making money outside of Thailand.

Heck I'd probably even bring some tourist brochures of things I want to see in Thailand.

Anything to satisfy immigration that I am merely a tourist and am simply returning so soon because I didn't see everything I wanted to see yet.

EDIT: I didn't notice your remark about having a airplane ticket leaving Thailand. That obviously is great to have and SHOULD in a perfect world alleviate any concerns they may have.

yes I mentioned a ticket out

The one and only tourist visa I got in the US I had to send copies of my bank statement to the Honorary Consulate to prove money in bank.

Unfortunately because how rules are implemented can vary greatly both from consulate/embassy and over time, it is not possible for an immigration officer to know what proof you have already provided in order to get the visa in the first place.

I must say I'm a little bit surprised that they'd ask for that in the states though.

Why not take care of the deadbeats before they leave, The immigration officer on the ground in Thailand knows very little about what takes place in a Embassy outside Thailand as they are two separate departments. The Consulate I used was covering their ass with the Embassy they report to. and this was about 5 years ago. Proof of income has been around for years and it cracks me up to read what a few post here implying it is something new.

Tourist visas are often renewed on in and out border runs especially in Mai Sai as the tourist from Chiang Mai will go there to activate there second or third entry

Why not take care of the deadbeats before they leave, The immigration officer on the ground in Thailand knows very little about what takes place in a Embassy outside Thailand as they are two separate departments. The Consulate I used was covering their ass with the Embassy they report to. and this was about 5 years ago. Proof of income has been around for years and it cracks me up to read what a few post here implying it is something new.

I'm glad that you are so easily amused smile.png but showing proof of income for a tourist visa is far from the norm for citizens from all wealthy countries just because it can happen.

I've for one never been asked ever to show proof of income for a visa for Thailand, or any other country for that matter and I've traveled very extensively (and been a resident of 9 countries).

• Like 1

I have removed a troll post attempting to bring politics into this topic and replies to it. Political discussions are not allowed on this forum.

Now to the OP. Tourist visas are not issued as multiple entries they is issued as 1,2 or 3 entries.

The only mention of true tourist visa in any of the new articles was a comment about those working illegally. It has been mostly about visa exempt entries.

Unless you have back to back tourist visas from a nearby consulate and perhaps some visa exempt entries mixed in with them I doubt there will be a great deal of scrutiny of those doing a border crossing to use an additional entry.

I have removed a troll post attempting to bring politics into this topic and replies to it. Political discussions are not allowed on this forum.

Now to the OP. Tourist visas are not issued as multiple entries they is issued as 1,2 or 3 entries.

The only mention of true tourist visa in any of the new articles was a comment about those working illegally. It has been mostly about visa exempt entries.

Unless you have back to back tourist visas from a nearby consulate and perhaps some visa exempt entries mixed in with them I doubt there will be a great deal of scrutiny of those doing a border crossing to use an additional entry.

the way I read the original article in Thai Visa this morning the "multiple entry" tourist visa speculation was provided by Pol Col Sangkhom . he may have used the wrong terminology but he was referring to the double and triple entry tourist visas.

They can deport us, we can do the same to them.” Pol Col Sangkhom said since the law was being enforced, South Koreans were being denied entry on a daily basis. Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said it did not matter how a tourist entered Thailand — whether it be with 15-, 30- or 90-day visa exemptions — if they exited a border checkpoint and tried to reenter at the same point they would have to satisfy border control officials that their reason for travel is tourism. He also added that it did not matter what country the visitor came from.

This same scrutiny would apply to multiple-entry tourist visas issued by the Thai embassy in an individual’s home country. They could also be asked to provide evidence of financial support, which is typically 20,000 baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727092-thai-immigration-border-insecurity-mounts-as-tourist-visa-abuse-is-targeted/?utm_source=newsletter-20140518-1439&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by AYJAYDEE

I'm glad that you are so easily amused smile.png but showing proof of income for a tourist visa is far from the norm for citizens from all wealthy countries just because it can happen.

I've for one never been asked ever to show proof of income for a visa for Thailand, or any other country for that matter and I've traveled very extensively (and been a resident of 9 countries).

The Honorary Consul General of Thailand in Dallas Texas (an American) required that I show proof of sufficient income to visit Thailand when he granted me a Non Imm Multi-Entry 'O' Visa. Everything was easy and I got the Visa in 10 minutes but I have never seen any such requirement in print - maybe I missed it. Funny thing I have reviewed the reasons to grant such a Visa and I don't fit any of them... but jumped at the chance to get it versus a multi-entry tourist Visa. I think this shows that the Honorary Consul Generals have or arbitrarily use a fair bit of leeway when granting Visas...

Edited by JDGRUEN

the way I read the original article in Thai Visa this morning the "multiple entry" tourist visa speculation was provided by Pol Col Sangkhom . he may have used the wrong terminology but he was referring to the double and triple entry tourist visas.

They can deport us, we can do the same to them.” Pol Col Sangkhom said since the law was being enforced, South Koreans were being denied entry on a daily basis. Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said it did not matter how a tourist entered Thailand — whether it be with 15-, 30- or 90-day visa exemptions — if they exited a border checkpoint and tried to reenter at the same point they would have to satisfy border control officials that their reason for travel is tourism. He also added that it did not matter what country the visitor came from.

This same scrutiny would apply to multiple-entry tourist visas issued by the Thai embassy in an individual’s home country. They could also be asked to provide evidence of financial support, which is typically 20,000 baht.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/727092-thai-immigration-border-insecurity-mounts-as-tourist-visa-abuse-is-targeted/?utm_source=newsletter-20140518-1439&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

The article you posted a link to is about the 4th one that has been in the news it is certainly not the original. I have read all of them I think.

I think you are like many others are trying to make much more out of it than it really is.

I am taking a wait see attitude about this entire thing.

You wrote about a comment by an immigration officer saying something that may or may not be what the true policy will be in the end.

• Like 1

I think you are like many others are trying to make much more out of it than it really is.

I am taking a wait see attitude about this entire thing.

You wrote about a comment by an immigration officer saying something that may or may not be what the true policy will be in the end.

as many of my friends and relatives visit thailand on double entry tourist visas I am concerned about statements like his and would like to understand the situation as well and as soon as possible.

If your friends and family come over here on a 2 entry visa I doubt very much they will have a problem unless the have been doing it continuously,

They are not going to stop tourists from visiting Thailand.

• Like 1