Thai Army officials prepare for clashes with anti-government protesters

webfact

Army officials prepare for clashes with anti-government protesters

BANGKOK, 19 May 2014 (NNT) – Reports have indicated that Army officials are training in preparation for a possible clash with PDRC protesters in the event they attempt to overthrow Acting Prime Minister Niwatthamrong Boonsongpaisarn from the office.

Army officials at the Chaengwattana Office of the Permanent Secretary for Defense (OPSD) are busily training for a possible event that the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC) protesters would attempt to oust Mr. Niwatthamrong from office.

Officials have reported that they are 100% confident they would be able to maintain safety and tight security for the acting prime minister. The troops being used are from the Ministry of Interior.

However, there have not been any reports so far that Mr. Niwatthamrong will be traveling to the OPSD at Chaengwattana to carry out his ministerial duties.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-05-19 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

Announced as training for a possible upcoming conflict with PDRC, but in reality there's a greater possibility that training will be brought to bear against the UDD, as they are more violent and unruly.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

It's publicly known the permanent defense secretary General Sathien Permthong-is one of the red generals so denial gets no one anywhere.

The reality is that it's a watermelon army. Gen Sathien was appointed by Yingluck in 2011, over the objections of the joint chiefs of armed forces.

It's clear Suthep and the PDRC are going for the final final final knock out blow because they are desperate. Desperate people do desperate things in the desperation of their final desperate moments.

Which ever side of the watermelon military makes the first move has the initiative - military commanders well know the principle.

• Like 2

Announced as training for a possible upcoming conflict with PDRC, but in reality there's a greater possibility that training will be brought to bear against the UDD, as they are more violent and unruly.

You have an interesting definition of unruly since so far this year UDD reds have stayed put at Aksa road whereas it's the PDRC who have attacked the police repeatedly while invading government buildings. Multiple instances of people getting beaten up, stabbed, and shot for criticizing PDRC, never mind touching some of their holy traffic cones.

I'm not sure what kind of distinction you're trying to make but it's a tricky one indeed. UDD aren't angels by a long shot, but PDRC are in no way better and ATM it's them who are causing trouble.

From the amounts of postings you are new in Thailand:

The police shot at the PDRC.

The red shirts burned down several buildings 2010

• Like 1

They are actually getting ready for a red shirt clash , any semblance to the PDRC is purely coincidental.coffee1.gif

Wow! I love how you can rewrite the news to fit into your agenda.... I just farted, and I thought of you -- it was one of those greasy wet farts too.

Its the least I can do for you.

When the street power went too far, somebody have to contain it or else in future everybody just walk into the street and do what ever they wish by not abiding laws and orders then the country is ruin.

I agreed very much with people's power in some Middle east countries used to over thrown corrupted government but if too long and too fierce then it hurts other in economy and investment.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You have an interesting definition of unruly since so far this year UDD reds have stayed put at Aksa road whereas it's the PDRC who have attacked the police repeatedly while invading government buildings. Multiple instances of people getting beaten up, stabbed, and shot for criticizing PDRC, never mind touching some of their holy traffic cones.

I'm not sure what kind of distinction you're trying to make but it's a tricky one indeed. UDD aren't angels by a long shot, but PDRC are in no way better and ATM it's them who are causing trouble.

Careful Obi-Wan Kenobi (with 16K posts). Not nice to slam "newbies" without truly knowing that which you state.

"From the amounts <sic> of postings <sic> (sans comma) you are new to Thailand."

I came to LOS the first time in 1993. 5 times after for lengthy stays (1-3 mos.). Started reading TVF posts in 2009 when I moved here but didn't join until late 2010. Check my post count.

"The Police shot at the PDRC"

Depends on the report, the source, the validity of it. Reports flew about that police were removing their uniforms for Red Shirt apparel. I don't believe a single case has yet been verified. Could be wrong.

"The red shirts burned down several buildings here in 2010"

Yes, it was ugly. Central World, Big C, Centre One, Siam Theatre..., Channel 3 (maybe a good thing w/their programming!) and too many other commercial areas. No call for it whatsoever. But this type of thing happens in "less mature" democracies (Term use-'Lightly') when two diametrically opposed philosophies and peoples in the same country disagree. It's not right. Blockading government buildings is not right either and there's been too much violence since late last year at those venues.

There is a storm brewing now that nobody..., red, yellow, expat or farang wants to see.

Let the newbies be. We'll be fine, thanks.

It was dozens of times shown, when the police shot. Of course exaggerated by the PDRC, but understandable when you are shot at. And the they guy who shot in civilian clothes? Who got beaten by the guards afterwards? His police identity card was life shown in TV.

Beside these big building, they burned several small building and small shops opposite Siam Paragon. I walked there 1-2 weeks later and still the air was very bad. No such things aren't normal, even not in less mature democracies.

I think he was talking about what they are capable of..... 2010, plus the slaughtering of PDRC protesters and innocent children.

And don't try to tell me to prove it was the reds.... of course it was the reds.

You have an interesting take on this as well. Over 100 attacks on the PDRC, grenades automatic weapons etc., no arrests. UDD aren't angels seems like a massive understatement to me.

NNT? I haven't been following events very long. Don't know how reliable they are as a source of news. I suspect not very: "Troops involved are from the Ministry of the Interior." ? The Ministry of the Interior doesn't have any troops. They used to have the police department, but Thaksin took that away from them. Just sayin'.

I would not be surprised if all the PDRC thugs roaming the streets with weapons, beating, stabbing and shooting people at the moment………were all wearing red scarfs a few years ago.

I don't think they support either party and they probably don't care who is power, as long as someone in the opposition at the time is paying them to be in BKK to strut around like John Wayne everyday.

You have an interesting take on this as well. Over 100 attacks on the PDRC, grenades automatic weapons etc., no arrests. UDD aren't angels seems like a massive understatement to me.

There's no proof about who mounted those attacks on the PDRC encampments. In the absence of evidence, maybe the key question would be, who benefits?

Suthep's lot are desperate for a coup to topple the PT government: how better to provoke it than to stage attacks to suggest that the UDD is violent, and the country is spinning out of control? And if you think that is far-fetched, look back to the 70s and the 90s when the fascists in Thailand did exactly that kind of thing. Their propagada was skilful, ruthless and based on total contempt for human life.

• Like 2

"The police shot at the PDRC."

After policemen being shot dead and having grenades thrown at them, who can blame them?

Edited by fasteddie
  • Like 1