Shaking Baby in Hamock is this healthy?

Sandman77

Here in isaan grandma shakes there baby in Hamock nonstop 2 our or longer!

See it also in Samui

Here also a video on YouTube!

When I told this to western doctors I got aswer not to long

Risk of Brain shock , When its

To Long , and intensive!

But Thais say When You Ask

No Problem Baby like!

Bit puzzled why the OP would find it unusual. It's done world wide from the Western world even down to the natives in the Amazon jungle. When he said shaking, I had envisioned something more serious, but it is normal to rock babies to sleep.

There are some questionable ways though, but seems to be enjoying it. biggrin.png

• Like 2

The farm bed in the video is too small, we used one, baby is rocked to sleep then lifted to the farang bed so the baby doesn't develop flat head.

My advise is to leave the Thais to get on with it nana Thai probably raised a few kids and I guess they turned out ok otherwise you would not be with one.

Oh yes... I remember this.

The DIY rocking hammock made out of a few sticks and a blanket by the Father in law!

It's normal I believe, but does look terribly violent doesn't it...

Still it didn't do my boy any harm (I think)

The DIY rocking hammock made out of a few sticks and a blanket by the Father in law!

it doesnt look violent to me

I wasn't referring to the video, I was referring to the opening Post...

The way they rock those babies in the hammock, it could qualify them to be astronauts!

Bit puzzled why the OP would find it unusual. It's done world wide from the Western world even down to the natives in the Amazon jungle. When he said shaking, I had envisioned something more serious, but it is normal to rock babies to sleep.

There are some questionable ways though, but seems to be enjoying it. biggrin.png

Ingenious.

Would have been even better with a hammer drill.

The way they rock those babies in the hammock, it could qualify them to be astronauts!

his opening post LOOKS violent to you? what amazing powers of visualiztion you have

Repetition is hypnotic. Comforts the baby. It's done even unconsviously by moms and dads even while in stroller. Brain shock? Absurd- and not a diagnosis. That's made up. Trauma is trauma. This is not. What you describe is rest for baby and sanity for parents. Enjoy!

• Like 1

his opening post LOOKS violent to you? what amazing powers of visualiztion you have

A bit of confusion here.. on my part :-)

I missed the video in the OP, I assumed the Electric drill video was being referred too.

Yes what awfully terrible powers of visualization I have... Should I string myself up and cancel my TV membership now?

OMG ! What is that drill doing next to the baby? I am afraid to watch the rest....

The rocking in the OP's video is nothing compared to how the babies are rocked in my ex's north Issan village.

On my initial visits many years ago, I was amazed to see the babies in similar (but larger) cloth hammocks being rocked over a 180 degree span, using a string to pull on the hammock. The babies remained 'safe' in the hammock through the pull of the gravitational force as the hammock swept through the air at high speed!!

They would be rocked like this for maybe an hour, (until their small brains had been forced out of their ears/nostrils by the G force.....)

Truly an amazing sight to see - I wish I had videoed it to 'trump' the OP's video :)

that isnt shaking , its called rocking and its far from intensive.

2nd that! Nowhere near intensive.

I shall have to upload a video of how babies get rocked in our village. Its brutal to watch - almost like a rocker coaster ride. Gets them sleeping pretty quick though and doesn't seem to do any harm.

My last son was constantly rocked like this in hamocks to settle him by aunties and MIL. I tried to stop it but they would simply do it when I was not around. Wife had the usual argument 'that is the way it has always been done'. I gave up the fight in the end and she ended up paying the price as he got older and she had to spend hours trying to get him to sleep on his own.

Kids sometimes need to be left to cry themselves to sleep until they learn to self soothe. The hammock business only delays and makes more difficult the inevitable.

• Like 1

Very healthy actually and copycats movement of mom walking and moving while oregnant on kibbutz in 0-3month childcare the babies are in cribs but the cribs are pushed back and forth very hard to settle some babies...swiging on swing or baby swing is also recommended as something to do with brain development. Throwing babies in the air is what causes brain concussion as the baby has no support between neck and skull and the head gets shaken and not rocked...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

My daughter has always had a hammock. But there are no Thai inlaws violently operating

it. It is an absolutely fantastic way to get a child to relax and take naps. She has never slept

through the night in it. So instead of being over the floor, I suspended it over my bed,

about 6 inches above the bed. So when she was small, it was easy to relax in bed watching

TV and rock her back and forth. Now when she is older it has become a sort of play apparatus,

and she loves wildly swinging back and forth, and then to be flipped out upside down onto the bed in a fit of laughter.... I highly highly recommend having a hammock for a baby.

IMG_0010.JPG

And of course a good spot to relax and log some Ipad time...

IMG_0004.JPG

And turned my bed into a giant play pen. Makes a wonderful safe area to play in when she was young. You can see the hammock attach points at the left corner of the bed, and a ring mounted in the wall.

163460940387089.jpg

Edited by EyesWideOpen