Has Chiang Mai been affected by the imposition of martial law?

Loaded

I remember during the last military coup (I know, they are saying today's is just an imposition of martial law but...) there were a few military vehicles, curfews etc but after a few days everything was exactly as it was before the coup from the perspective of a foreigner living here.

However, any updates in Chiang Mai?

military vehicles, check points, curfews?

Pierce Brosnan still here?

• Like 1

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not so far and hopefully it will stay that way. I have lived through numerous coups and such and not much has ever happened here - other than that one or two days in 2010 (?) after the redshirts went crazy in Bangkok and there was some vandalism in CM.

Edited by Ulysses G.
  • Like 1

Last coup in 06 bars stayed open 24 hours a day,no bib's. They ran like scared jack rabbits.

Traffic police had a checkpoint on hwy 11 northbound, south of Chiang Mai this morning. A regular occurance, so BiB still functioning normally.

re

However, any updates in Chiang Mai?

military vehicles, check points, curfews?

i cant see any difference to a normal day from my window but arnt most schools supposed to be going back today ?

if yes there are no kids on their way to school at the mo !

dave2

pic taken 10 mins ago :)

ps ... a planes just taken off from the airport so they are still working ok :)

post-42592-0-00912100-1400550595_thumb.j

Just at airport plaza now. Extra police on the car entrances with the mirrors for looking underneath- stopping every single car.

Same kind of security at airport I saw a bit earlier except over there they weren't bothering to stop me.

Hope no red terrorist idiots decide to chuck grenades at the non red buisnesses like that petrol station a couple of weeks ago or the M79 they fired at airport plaza the last time around. Or all those bombs on the ATMs they were doing for a few weeks last time.

Welcome military to round them all up please.

I don't know about you guys but 99% of the Thais I know are quietly anti red- even if they have to deal with them for biz. Only a tiny few red fanatics- the rest will all just take the most pragmatic/ least costly or more profitable choices.

Police are and will all work under the military. No boss mans going to ruin his life as a martyr for the shin clan. It's only business, nothing more.

• Like 1

Didn't last long- police too lazy to carry on the checking of every cars I see now. Everybody roling in as normal- guys with mirrors just standing around.

Or maybe of course it could b that they were acting on a tip off and now have the suspects in custody.

Either way- the food court was popular as ever

Almost all the ones I know are pro red.

Very much the same here. Come to think of it I do not personally know any Thai in CM that openly espouses Yellow at all.

I regularly shop at the markets in San Pakoy which still has posters/stickers for Thaksin and Yingluck displayed, never seen an opposing view there at all. Perhaps its a stronghold but either way seems to reflect views of most I know.

Quite a few Thai friends have links to Thaksin and Yingluck on Facebook as well as "Respect My Vote" links. The only time you see Suthep is as a nasty or ranting comical figure.

So far the effect is a few less TV stations only as far as I can see. I think they could have gone further with 3 and 7 soap operas ceasing as well.

Edited by mamborobert

During the martial law in 2006 there were a few soldiers stationed at transportation and gathering locations--Arcade bus station, ThaPae Gate, places like that. They were so bored some of them started directing traffic and being cross-walk guards just to have something to do. As noted, some of the bars, usually the ones that weren't too precise about closing times, started staying open for as long as they had customers.

Emergency decree in 2010 was much worse, there was a curfew that was enforced. It successfully shut down all night life for many days, I don't remember the exact number.

It remains to be seen what we will have this time.

I was out and about over a fairly large area on my motorbike between 10.30am and 1.00pm - didn't see one soldier or military vehicle!

Everything as normal as every other day. Just a small police check on motorbikes on Hwy 11 near Tesco.

I might expect a bit of a military presence at the airport but didn't get that far to confirm.

Business as usual here.

On the way home from CMU the lights at the intersection of Suthep and Canal road weren't operating and hadn't since this morning and utter chaos getting through. Military traffic management? tongue.png

Power went out for a few minutes in the Nimman area, at least at my place. Maybe that affected the traffic lights. I walked through that intersection at around 12:30 this afternoon and the lights were working.

Edited by roger1999

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

On the way home from CMU the lights at the intersection of Suthep and Canal road weren't operating and hadn't since this morning and utter chaos getting through. Military traffic management? alt=tongue.png>

utter chaos??!! drove down canal and suthep many times this morning and afternoon - many many electric company trucks stringing new wire and supports -- I found no chaos but a Thai way of dealing with it , give a little let someone go there and so on -- military ?? WOW

My humble observation of Chiang Mai TV members reactions to various situations:

Earthquakes: w00t.gif.pagespeed.ce.fUUOmDCInI.gif

Yearly burning: wacko.png.pagespeed.ce.jGW10VtQsI.png

Men without shirts on: angry.gif.pagespeed.ce.l3zkt7JShR.gif

Coup or martial law: coffee1.gif

Another day in the Land of Smiles smile.png

Unfortunately not the case over in the News forum, the keyboard warriors at it full time post-4641-1156694005.gif