So what effect will this "coup" have on your business?

Somtamnication

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working in Samui Sept 2006 went from12 hour days to zero customers overnight....expect the same this time. Must say though our rooms are fully booked at weekend now with BKK Thais

Edited by PattayaPhom

Did a bit of reading up re travel insurance for tourists going to to a country affected by martial law. What I understood is that there will usually be an exclusion clause in the insurance policy, but it is up to the individual insurance company if they invoke this clause or not.

Did a bit of reading up re travel insurance for tourists going to to a country affected by martial law. What I understood is that there will usually be an exclusion clause in the insurance policy, but it is up to the individual insurance company if they invoke this clause or not.

Travel Insurance does not cover "civil unrest" and that's what we technically have in Thailand at the moment.

As well all know, there is no real physical danger to tourists here, but if there is, for example, an airport blockade, or blockade of the roads to the airport etc etc and you miss your flight, you will be paying for your hotel room until the blockade is removed, and also for another flight home.

Your travel insurance will not cover the above scenario, as well as many others, if you entered Thailand AFTER a "do not travel" alert has been issued by your Government. .

Life goes on, a lot more Thais can afford to and do have holidays in Phuket and surrounding areas

Overseas tourists will still come to phuket if they are not told not to come by their govt

No hassles last time except for a short blockade of the airport and i do not believe that will happen again

Local Thais do not want to drive the tourists away to other destinations

Australia has already re-issued strong travel warnings for it's citizens who travel to Thailand.

In '06 the Aussie and US embassies/consulates/whom-ever-the-heck-issues-warnings were 'stongly' warning their citizens; don't go; violence; yada yada... Apparently the same this time... In '06 we Canucks received gentle a 'reminder' that there were political issues in BKK.

Here's what we got this time today:

Martial law was declared in Thailand. We will continue to assess the implications for Canadian travellers at this time and update you accordingly.

I think we got it right - the sky wasn't falling in '06 and I doubt its gonna fall this time!!

Amost too many things going on at once....

Border/Immigration cracking down, the military declaring martial law, Prime Minister ducking out, and nobody really running the show.

Feeling Insecure?

Not in the least!

Are you?

I recon, the whole demonstrations had more effect on tourism then martial law will have.
Our occupancy rate compared to last year has dropped considerably.

post-155312-0-85674200-1400681366_thumb.

For sure, I have much more time enjoying the tropics this year then I had last year.
Will eventually get bored sitting in the hammock drinking Pinacoladas coffee1.gif

What can we expect now? Less and less tourists, less investments, lot of confusion and to know how long this situation will last.

This has been the result of a long fight without any winner.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

If the newly announced curfew between 10 pm and 5 am is fully enforced, then it's curtains for the tourist industry and any business relying on it. The announcement alone will see mass cancellations from tourists planning to come on holidays. The tourist industry has already been badly affected. This will kill it off

If the newly announced curfew between 10 pm and 5 am is fully enforced, then it's curtains for the tourist industry and any business relying on it. The announcement alone will see mass cancellations from tourists planning to come on holidays. The tourist industry has already been badly affected. This will kill it off

When was this announced...musta missed that one.

What can we expect now? Less and less tourists, less investments, lot of confusion and to know how long this situation will last.

This has been the result of a long fight without any winner.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, and when they eventually announce the next election, which was already offered by Yingluck, there will just be the same result as previous elections. History will repeat itself, again.

Thailand's Democracy is also a viction of its own corruption.

No end in sight to this fiasco of Thai Governance that's been going on for years.

Well, with the curfew on now, let me hear from the Patong expats with businesses....this will effectively kill your investment. The Russians wake up at 10 pm, never mind going home at 10pm.

I'm stocking up on alcohol and digging up some old phone numbers of "friends." :)

how are all those bar girls going to make money now to send home for new motorbike for mama and papa or the sick buffalo?

People are not allowed to go out in the nights and there is nothing to watch on TV.

I guess it's time to invest to companies which are making pampers and other infant products. Those businesses will be booming after 9 months from now.

did anyone go out last night after 10pm? what's happeneing out there?

i've been on a self imposed curfew ever since my beer money ran out ages ago so it doesn't bother me much, but i imaging a big change for the places like patong.