So what effect will this "coup" have on your business?

Somtamnication

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless the internet goes down, none.

In general I'm curious how the martial law affects the way the police works as they are now under the CRES which is directed by the army.

The 2006 one....lost some dosh on a property sale.....on paper only though.

Currently....selling land again and it is quite hard at the moment, many interested, none wish to part with the cash just right now.

During the last one, way back in 2006,

There was a coup in 2006?

Must've been at the beach.

Sure there was up in central Bangkok, army tanks in the streets. We never noticed a thing here on our tropical paradise of Phuket Island.

like he said, he was at the beach.......

• Like 1

So, if the Thai Army is in control, but has stated it's not a "coup" - who is in control of the country?

An Army General, or a politician????

Do you really have to ask who is really in control? I don't think we can talk about it, especially on this public forum...

• Like 1

So, if the Thai Army is in control, but has stated it's not a "coup" - who is in control of the country?

An Army General, or a politician????

Do you really have to ask who is really in control? I don't think we can talk about it, especially on this public forum...

Let's all be careful here. Censorship of public news sources and websites is likely to be in full force. I notice some Thai TV news seems to have been suspended.

• Like 2

We may see bar closure times enforced

Because of martial law? The government is still in place, the army only took over responsibility for security matters, they won't bother with petty stuff like that.

As a tourist, I would feel safer now that martial law has been invoked. The political upheavals have been widely reported in the foreign press all along. It makes stay away mainly Asian tourists. As far as Westerners is concerned, a brief online read up will convince them it is still safe to transit through Bangkok, or take a connecting flight to Phuket.

Whilst we probably won't see soldiers on the streets here, (I saw no soldiers at the airport this morning), I am sure martial law will have an effect on whether or not tourists come to visit.

Face facts - the country is in a mess and now martial law has been declared. It's being reported on foreign TV channels that the elected government of Thailand is being 'usurped' by the army, (don't sidetrack this post with comments about the legitimacy of the government - it is what is being reported on foreign TV channels).

Australia has already re-issued strong travel warnings for it's citizens who travel to Thailand. Never mind that the problems arte generally limited to Bangkok - that is not how foreign tourists will see it, especially the 'touchy' Japanese, Koreans and Chinese who will cancel if they even think the sea is 1 degree colder than normal.

For foreign tourists who are deciding whether or not to visit Phuket, the bottom line is probably 'we don't need this sh*t!'

So..... if you are in the hospitality business, I suggest you the same as me, lock up your business and go down to the beach with a crate of cold beer for the forseeable future.....

The australian govt is only warning its citizens about traveling to bangkok or the deep south of Thailand

There never has been a travel warning for phuket and surrounding tourist areas, Ever

Whilst we probably won't see soldiers on the streets here, (I saw no soldiers at the airport this morning), I am sure martial law will have an effect on whether or not tourists come to visit.

Face facts - the country is in a mess and now martial law has been declared. It's being reported on foreign TV channels that the elected government of Thailand is being 'usurped' by the army, (don't sidetrack this post with comments about the legitimacy of the government - it is what is being reported on foreign TV channels).

Australia has already re-issued strong travel warnings for it's citizens who travel to Thailand. Never mind that the problems arte generally limited to Bangkok - that is not how foreign tourists will see it, especially the 'touchy' Japanese, Koreans and Chinese who will cancel if they even think the sea is 1 degree colder than normal.

For foreign tourists who are deciding whether or not to visit Phuket, the bottom line is probably 'we don't need this sh*t!'

So..... if you are in the hospitality business, I suggest you the same as me, lock up your business and go down to the beach with a crate of cold beer for the forseeable future.....

The australian govt is only warning its citizens about traveling to bangkok or the deep south of Thailand

There never has been a travel warning for phuket and surrounding tourist areas, Ever

May be Pattaya and Phuket are exempt from politics.

Yes I know, but in practice, that is irrelevant.

I know from experience that foreign tourists do not read 'the small print' of travel warnings or TV reports about civil unrest. They see the news on their local TV station and have a kneejerk reaction.

In January 2013 my hotels experienced a 3% cancellation rate.

In January 2014 my hotels experienced a 25% cancellation rate, even though there was no unrest in Phuket. (I was lucky that a further 25% of guests then booked those cancelled rooms...)

Hopefully it will have less effect than the Chaengwattana roadblock has had on mine and my neighbors. Businesses that have been there for years are closing up for lack of customers. Revenue is down 30-60% since November and only companies with low overhead or deep pockets are surviving. I've lost over half a million since they blocked the road.

I'm hoping the military is there to restore order and keep the peace and I hope their idea of restoring order includes taking down roadblocks.

Martial law will not affect daily life in Thailand but I don't think tourists will be booking in record high numbers. It's one thing for

governments to issue travel advisories which few people pay attention to, but quite another issue when headlines read that

martial law has been declared by the military. People who have booked will come for the most part if they don't have cancellation

insurance but new bookings will plummet. blink.png

not knowing how to use this forum but i must say it is dead for tourists and thai people IN CH-AM so i wouLd say yes this is a knock on affect from 2006 ie here we go again people have seen it before,same sh-t different year ??

so it is having an effect at least here :-(

thailand will never get it sorted untill its to late such a shame for what was such a buitfull country run by g-eedy c--upt XXXXs

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

not knowing how to use this forum but i must say it is dead for tourists and thai people IN CH-AM so i wouLd say yes this is a knock on affect from 2006 ie here we go again people have seen it before,same sh-t different year ??

so it is having an effect at least here :-(

thailand will never get it sorted untill its to late such a shame for what was such a buitfull country run by g-eedy c--upt XXXXs

A knock on already from something that happened last night?

Martial law will not affect daily life in Thailand but I don't think tourists will be booking in record high numbers. It's one thing for

governments to issue travel advisories which few people pay attention to, but quite another issue when headlines read that

martial law has been declared by the military. People who have booked will come for the most part if they don't have cancellation

insurance but new bookings will plummet. blink.png width=20 alt=blink.png>

Cancellation insurance will not cover unless there is a negative travel advisory.