So what effect will this "coup" have on your business?

Somtamnication

The curfew applies for the party people. Families with kids might consider the overall situation and decide it's not time to bring kids here.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The curfew applies for the party people. Families with kids might consider the overall situation and decide it's not time to bring kids here.

And what's about all those millions of poor Thais who are now deprived of their nightly educational "lakhon's" on TV?

• Like 1

I recon, the whole demonstrations had more effect on tourism then martial law will have.

Our occupancy rate compared to last year has dropped considerably.

attachicon.gifInsight 2013.png

For sure, I have much more time enjoying the tropics this year then I had last year.

Will eventually get bored sitting in the hammock drinking Pinacoladas coffee1.gif

Today, five cancellations for the next full moon party on the 12th of June facepalm.gif .

Ideal time for a relaxing, quiet holiday on Koh Phangan thumbsup.gif .

Edited by JoeLing

More about travel insurance cover being potentially voided while under military control.

But is it really so? At least in Finland the normal policy is that travel insurances are voided in case the country/area is in real war. Thailand is not even close to it yet.

In the "normal" war case, the insurance is still valid for 14 days after the war starts.

In case of major war (at least 2 permanent members of UN security council are in war against each others), the insurance is voided immediately.

More about travel insurance cover being potentially voided while under military control.

But is it really so? At least in Finland the normal policy is that travel insurances are voided in case the country/area is in real war. Thailand is not even close to it yet.

In the "normal" war case, the insurance is still valid for 14 days after the war starts.

In case of major war (at least 2 permanent members of UN security council are in war against each others), the insurance is voided immediately.

Most travel insurance policies, if not all, do not cover "civil unrest, acts of war, acts of terrorism" etc.

Thailand now has civil unrest, but many insurance companies will still cover the insured, unless they enter the country after their own Government issues the "Do Not Travel" warning.

• Like 1

Most travel insurance policies, if not all, do not cover "civil unrest, acts of war, acts of terrorism" etc.

Thailand now has civil unrest, but many insurance companies will still cover the insured, unless they enter the country after their own Government issues the "Do Not Travel" warning.

There have been a number of posts in different thread stating that coverage would only be void in the event of a claim directly or indirectly as a result of war or insurrection, so if you become ill or lose your luggage you are still covered. If you get shot in crossfire or run over by a tank then you won't be.

And this may change, as NKM states, depending upon the policy wording, in the event of a negative travel advisory from your home country's Government.

Schools ordered closed. Now that confuses me..sad.png

Me too - cannot think of any logical reason why.

I can think of many reasons and one damn good one. Why have kids gathered together in such a way that they make an easy target for terrorists? Not to say we are anywhere near this... but why risk it.

Schools ordered closed. Now that confuses me..sad.png

Me too - cannot think of any logical reason why.

I can think of many reasons and one damn good one. Why have kids gathered together in such a way that they make an easy target for terrorists? Not to say we are anywhere near this... but why risk it.

Well, I was thinking more along the lines of if the kids are made to stay at home, a parent, or parents, would have to be home, looking after them, thus, less available to protest, blockade, fight, kill etc etc.

I don't think we are at the terrorist operations stage, yet, but had always thought, if the red shirts wanted to hit the yellow shirts, the best way would be to effect tourism, thus hitting them where it hurts Thai yellow shirts the most, in the pocket.

Something similar to Bali, but for political reasons, not religious reasons.

I hope a peaceful solution can be found, but after so many years, and so many elections, one wonders if this country will ever stop going around in circles.

• Like 1

One reason for the schools closure might have been traffic related: loads of demonstrators going home, there is far less of a rush hour when schools are closed.

How would that have any meaning except in urban areas? Where I live, and indeed in most of the countryside, there is no such thing as 'rush hour'...