3bb info needed

jim101

Hello

This is my first post and I'm pretty new to Thailand, only been here a couple of months.

I'm about to rent a little house about 2km north of the moat in Chiang Mai. 3bb is the provider used by the last couple of tenants. I need a good connection that supports VOIP. The router looks very old ( I took the model number but deleted from my notes! and wont be back in CM till I move in in four weeks time).

What hardware/router do I need to ensure they install and what package do i need from them.

Grateful for any help, thanks

Jim.

I live to the south of CM about 7km out of town and have been using 3BB for 2.5 years without any real issues. I am on their cheaper package which is 590 baht per month and works fine for VOIP, skype etc. Personally I wouldn't get a router from 3BB but go into town and buy a good quality one and use that. They may want you to pay a year in advance if you are putting it in your name as opposed to your landlord.

• Like 1

I agree with not getting a 3bb router, I have replaced my router for a better one (asus in this case) and it has helped a lot with connection more stable and more download speed. The newer and more expensive routers have more memory and faster processors, that can come in handy when there is a lot of internet traffic.

• Like 1

I will guess with high confidence that any router provided by any Thai ISP will be built to the 802.11g spec, which is not a bad one. And when you sign up as a new customer, your should get a new one. It will be OK, but it just will not be the best one now available for signal strenght and converage. You might consider either bringing a 802.11ac spec router with you, if you are coming from the U.S., say, or buying one here at a slightly higher price.

I would also suggest checking the other ISPs and seeing what all is available in your housing area. And look for fiber optic/cable service. My experience and that of my friends says that fiber/cable is peferrable, provides reliable speeds. ADSL lines are frequently old and more subect to speed fluctuations as when students are on line. Plus, the servers are old. When I got fiber, I gave my ADSL ISP (happened to be TOT) the chance to match the promises I got to switch to True fiber. TOT checked my line and admitted it would not handle more than 7Mbps down, and I would still be subject to the traffic fluctuations.

So, take some time, if you have not already, and not just sign up for whatever the last tenant had.

• Like 1

I will guess with high confidence that any router provided by any Thai ISP will be built to the 802.11g spec, which is not a bad one. And when you sign up as a new customer, your should get a new one. It will be OK, but it just will not be the best one now available for signal strenght and converage. You might consider either bringing a 802.11ac spec router with you, if you are coming from the U.S., say, or buying one here at a slightly higher price.

I would also suggest checking the other ISPs and seeing what all is available in your housing area. And look for fiber optic/cable service. My experience and that of my friends says that fiber/cable is peferrable, provides reliable speeds. ADSL lines are frequently old and more subect to speed fluctuations as when students are on line. Plus, the servers are old. When I got fiber, I gave my ADSL ISP (happened to be TOT) the chance to match the promises I got to switch to True fiber. TOT checked my line and admitted it would not handle more than 7Mbps down, and I would still be subject to the traffic fluctuations.

So, take some time, if you have not already, and not just sign up for whatever the last tenant had.

It is not only about the wifi strenght its also about processing power of the router, more gives a better connection especially if your using it for multiple devices computers. I have wired connection to my router (UTP cable) and after changing routers (changed routers twice as the fiber optic required yet again a new router) even the wired connection and speeds especially for downloading went up. My skype was better. When i gave my good Asus router from the first change to a friend also his wired and wireless connection improved. For some people who love computers it pays to pay extra for your own good router.

• Like 1