Wife abuse by VFS - UK/Canada/Australia

The new venue on soi 13 continues the old traditions of VFS - Vilify Farang Spouse. We arrived for a pre-booked Visa appointment at 11am; my wife emerged hungry and exhausted FOUR hours later!

I have written to the UK Embassy and urged them to change their system. The on-line form is a big improvement but why the need for a personal visit merely to hand in papers. There must be hundreds of nailed-on certainties to get a visa; wives/partners with assets/close family ties in Thailand; spouses with previous visas. Why cannot the above Embassies create a simple data base of such candidates and take them out of the cattle market which is Trendy House?

The reason is VFS. They have a vested interest in trading in the misery and discomfort of our wives. They operate an elitist two tier system. A Priority visa Service will cost you an extra 5,600 baht. The VIP Premium lounge with free refreshment is a mere 3000 baht extra, not that you'll eat anything as there is no waiting! Whilst VFS staff cater exclusively to these customers, <Offensive remarks edited out>

I have asked my Embassy to justify why they allow such an elitist system. Could I ask many other Thai Visa members to do the same?

Edited by theoldgit
Offensive remarks removed

I note your anger, but the remark about Thai women is unacceptable and has been removed.

You need to bare in mind that VFS work under contract to the UKVI and it's they who agree the fees, I would be complaining directly to the UKVI https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/uk-visas-and-immigration/about/complaints-procedure I doubt very much if you will get any satisfaction from the UK Embassy and I suspect that if more people complained to the centre it would also carry more weight.

I would also submit a complaint to VFS management, marking your complaint for the attention of the Duty Manager advising them that you have already complained to the UKVI at HQ level. http://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/thailand/feedback_complaints.html

I would urge that you don't make offensive remarks regarding Thai women, VFS or even the UKVI in your complaint.

You also need to be aware that whilst the fee for the use of the VFS VIP Lounge goes to them for sitting in slightly more comfortable surroundings, I do agree that this is a liberty, the Fast Track Fee is passed on to the UKVI and does little more than push the application towards the front of the queue, of course if everyone paid that fee........

• Like 1

So cause your wife had to wait in line like everyone else does, that's the issue?

Never had any issue with vfs, in fact have found them to be nice helpful folk. So you have to wait a while, big deal.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Just like fast tracking a passport, having a vip option in place at vfs is good.

No not everyone will use it, but maybe more should. Extra 5k is a squirt in the sea.

Would have saved the op's whinge.

So cause your wife had to wait in line like everyone else does, that's the issue?

Never had any issue with vfs, in fact have found them to be nice helpful folk. So you have to wait a while, big deal.

If you get someone to help you read the OP, you will find the issue is I paid $925 to book an appointment which was not kept by VFS. They may well be 'nice helpful people' but efficient they are not.

I don't know whether you are on a pension - your scoffing tone suggests you are too young for that, but one day, if you are lucky you will get to live in a beautiful country and because of the British Government's discriminatory policy against Thailand find you struggle to make ends meet because of Thai inflation as the frozen pension is eroded.

• Like 2

Firstly the fee is for a visa application which goes direct to the British Government, all VFS do is collect the documents and bio-metrics and forward them on to UKVI to which the British Government pays them a fee.

Ideally with a time slot booking system you would expect to be in and out within 30 mins, and if you have to wait more than an hour then yes complain but but complain to the right people and keep it civil and constructive.

Their is no discrimination, between Thais applying for visas than any other national in any other country applying for a visa, ...or British Pensioners retired in Thailand, the frozen pension applies to many other British pensioners retired in many other countries.

Edited by Basil B

If you get someone to help you read the OP, you will find the issue is I paid $925 to book an appointment which was not kept by VFS. They may well be 'nice helpful people' but efficient they are not.

I don't know whether you are on a pension - your scoffing tone suggests you are too young for that, but one day, if you are lucky you will get to live in a beautiful country and because of the British Government's discriminatory policy against Thailand find you struggle to make ends meet because of Thai inflation as the frozen pension is eroded.

Ok old boy, after re reading your whine 3 times, you never mention once you had to pay $925 for an interview. I have never heard of anyone paying for an interview at vfs, you are paying for a visa(hopefully), let's clear that up.

You do however mention your wife had to wait for a long time, I know that can be annoying, but you aren't the only one waiting, no doubt vfs are going as fast as they can, we all know how frustrating government offices can be.

Finally you are right, no pension here....still slaving my ass off to help support the pension recipients.

Anyhow.....carry on.

• Like 1

The problem when government contracts out its function to another body is the shift in responsibility. Complaining to VFS is pointless and akin to berating the monkey for the music the organ grinder is churning out. The OP should write in no uncertain terms to the Regional Inspector, UKVI, Bangkok, copying it to the ambassador and to the UKVI's current director, Sarah Rapson. Paying for an appointment to wait 4 hours is unacceptable.

Ok old boy, after re reading your whine 3 times, you never mention once you had to pay $925 for an interview. I have never heard of anyone paying for an interview at vfs, you are paying for a visa(hopefully), let's clear that up.

You do however mention your wife had to wait for a long time, I know that can be annoying, but you aren't the only one waiting, no doubt vfs are going as fast as they can, we all know how frustrating government offices can be.

Finally you are right, no pension here....still slaving my ass off to help support the pension recipients.

Anyhow.....carry on.

Err, included in the visa application fee is an element charged by the VFS for their management of the queue including the appointment system.

Courtesy of a pensioner who paid contributions and taxes over 39 years.....

• Like 1

Humm ... "If you get someone to help you read the OP, you will find the issue is I paid $925 to book an appointment which was not kept by VFS."

Assuming that is close to an AUD/US/NZ dollar ... you are saying that you paid close enough to 30,000 Baht to book an appointment?

Say it isn't so ... facepalm.gif

Elephants_zpsb52ebc80.png

Humm ... "If you get someone to help you read the OP, you will find the issue is I paid $925 to book an appointment which was not kept by VFS."

Assuming that is close to an AUD/US/NZ dollar ... you are saying that you paid close enough to 30,000 Baht to book an appointment?

Sorry I wasn't clear. The money was for a 5 yr UK Visitor Visa. The 'interview' was merely to hand in documents to support the application. It took 4 hours + a night's accommodation + a round trip of 350 kms + tolls. Small wonder I am raging at the sorry system. VFS are the agency entrusted by the UK Embassy to handle Visa applications. My diatribe is aimed at the inefficiency of the said agency AND the Embassy that have handed VFS this monopoly thus giving them carte blanche to abuse their position whilst operating an elitist policy.

David you also need to get someone to help read op.

Don't ask me to help, I can't find it.

The trick to VFS is roll with the punches, and get the visas sorted as quick as possible so never have to use them again.

Edited by krisb

Sorry I wasn't clear. The money was for a 5 yr UK Visitor Visa. The 'interview' was merely to hand in documents to support the application. It took 4 hours + a night's accommodation + a round trip of 350 kms + tolls. Small wonder I am raging at the sorry system. VFS are the agency entrusted by the UK Embassy to handle Visa applications. My diatribe is aimed at the inefficiency of the said agency AND the Embassy that have handed VFS this monopoly thus giving them carte blanche to abuse their position whilst operating an elitist policy.

Mike, we do feel your pain.

We mightn't have expressed it in the way you have though.

I equally get frustrated with the VFS Service ... I was also there last month, lodging my gf's Partner Visa.

The BS that came our way was unpalatable.

The 'interview' was merely to hand in documents to support the application.

And to have biometrics taken; which all applicants have to do whether first timers or not; to help prevent visa fraud.

VFS are the agency entrusted by the UK Embassy to handle Visa applications. My diatribe is aimed at the inefficiency of the said agency AND the Embassy that have handed VFS this monopoly thus giving them carte blanche to abuse their position whilst operating an elitist policy.

VFS are an international company who operate visa application centres worldwide for many governments.

It was the UK government who awarded them the contract for Thailand; the Bangkok embassy had no say in the matter.

Having said that, a 4 hour wait after the appointed time is unforgivable, and you should complain as suggested by theoldgit and Seekingasylum above.

So if it hadn't of taken the extra 4 hours, it wouldn't have also taken a night in a hotel and the 350km round trip plus tolls?

How busy were they?

And what excuse did they give?...you haven't mentioned that.

David48 mentioned just the other day how good the place was on the Aussie side of the VFS office. Quite efficient, in and out in no time.

How come it's so bad on the UK side?

I do not know why a 40 something year old Aussie is getting involved in a forum matter about a 71 year old getting a UK visa for his wife unless it is merely a wind-up; a hobby like offending people by brandishing your wealth: ' Extra 5k is a squirt in the sea.' Your squirt in the sea is a week's pension to some.

You have obviously never experienced the visa situation or you would know that farangs are not allowed beyond the metal detector. The Thai officials have no need to give reasons for their actions - it's just the way it is. Nor am I aware why the situation is so hunky-dory on the Aussie side of the fence: perhaps it's something to do with the sheer volume of Brit/Thai pairings seeking a visa in comparison to the number of Aussie/Sheila couples.

I'm not too sure about your 1st sentence; 'So if it hadn't of taken the extra 4 hours, it wouldn't have also taken a night in a hotel and the 350km round trip plus tolls?'

I think you are questioning the need for an overnight stay in Bangkok. Again your youth & inexperience of driving in Bangkok is revealed. Banking on a trouble free journey along Sukhumvit or through Bumrungrad Hospital would be foolhardy. I paid for a hotel room a few minutes walk away so I could be on time for the appointment. Surely a person with your obvious drawbacks can see this?

I note you have responded at 11.32, 11.36am, 4.00pm and 7.25pm. (Aussie or Thai time?) You've also mentioned working & paying your taxes to support pensioners. When I worked & paid taxes, I certainly didn't have the time or inclination to stick my nose into matters of no concern to me personally.

Hopefully one day you will appeal to others for some support to rectify an obvious wrong. I would like to be first to respond.

So what excuse did vfs give? You havnnt answered that yet...

The title you wrote has Aussie written there, so I continued to read on, thinking poor guys wife suffered abuse by vfs. My days with vfs are over, my wife lives in Australia now. I spent plenty of time with them, in fact we have 1 of the ladies numbers who is a case officer there. Her and my wife got along well so she gave her a direct desk number.

So anyway, back to my question..

Enough is enough, I've asked you guys to reign it in, now please do so.

The OP describes the long wait his partner endured at VFS, now some of you may think four hours or so is acceptable, most people don't.

If you have something constructive to say to the OP then feel free to post it, however constant baiting doesn't count, so please cease and desist.

I don't take issue with your impatience or frustration at having to wait for 4 hours, nor do I take issue with your need to vent.

I do however take issue with nonsense claims that this is wife abuse or that VFS trades in misery and discomfort. Your thread title is wildly misleading. How is this wait at VFS wife abuse? Are there staff beating her with sticks to stay in line? How are spouses being vilified?

I suggest the Op has two seperate points he needs to deal with:

1. The waiting time at VFS he finds unacceptable. Fair enough, write them a letter, organise a petition, make a phone call.

2. Wife abuse issues by VFS. A reality check is needed here. Less drama, more facts.

IMO, 4 hours is a good time to wait, but, unacceptable? Hardly.

There could be a multitude of reasons why VFS was late with its appointments and in the scheme of things it is a minor inconvenience for such an important part of your life,ie: getting a partner visa for your wife to the UK.

As for the priority visa service. This would be instigated by the UK government would it not? It makes sense for some people who need their visa app processed quickly for various reasons. I agree with KrisB. 5000 baht for such a life changing visa is a drop in the ocean. If pensioners cant afford the 5000 baht how can they afford the visa and flights?

• Like 2

Acting on TheOldGit's advice, this is my final word:

Bookman it is precisely because of Visa costs + air fares that a further 5000 baht is unaffordable. As has been pointed out earlier if everyone went for this VIP option then no one would treated quicker and everyone would have paid the extra for nothing.

Abuse can come in many forms: physical;sexual; verbal. Dumb insolence can be abuse. Abusing the system is what VFS are doing. Herding wives into a hall and ignoring their appointment time is a form of vilification.

To the couple of respondents who sought to defend VFS as a decent service, I have received 4 (FOUR) emails timed at 1.28am, 3.14am, 5.29am and 6.48am since yesterday to tell me my wife's papers 'has been dispatched to the UKVI Decision Making Centre, Bangkok.'