Australia reissues travel advice for Thailand

webfact

POLITICS
Australia reissues travel advice

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Australian Government today reissued travel advice for Thailand, following the invocation of the martial law. The following is the full statement.

"The Australian Government has been following events in Thailand closely, and with concern. We are seeking more details on the effect of the decision of the Royal Thai Army to impose martial law. The military has said that this not a coup and the caretaker Government remains in office.

"We encourage all parties to resolve their political differences through peaceful democratic processes. Australia hopes an election in which all parties agree to participate can be held as soon as practicable. Thailand has Australia's goodwill and support as it tries to find ways to settle its political difficulties.

"The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade today reviewed and reissued the travel advice for Thailand. Australians should familiarise themselves with this information, subscribe to receive regular updates and register their travel plans on www.smartraveller.gov.au.

"The Australian Government urges Australians travelling to Thailand to continue to exercise a high degree of caution following the imposition of martial law across the country. We urge Australians in Thailand to pay close attention to the situation as it unfolds and to be aware of their personal security. Australians in Thailand should avoid all demonstrations, political events and large scale gatherings, and follow the instructions of local authorities.

"The Government closely monitors and regularly updates all travel advisories. Australians travelling to Thailand, or elsewhere overseas, should visit www.smartraveller.gov.au."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-05-20

• Like 1

Ok....but..the Australian Government is very cautious....as are many western countries.....the nanny status seems to be the norm.

More than likely they are probably concerned that some of us and Australias tourists may need consular assistance during this time.....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ok....but..the Australian Government is very cautious....as are many western countries.....the nanny status seems to be the norm.

More than likely they are probably concerned that some of us and Australias tourists may need consular assistance during this time.....

I think the message has been out and about for years on Thailand, the only thing that's changed is Marshal law and the date, what they are saying is be careful get yourself into trouble ,you get out of it yourself, if you do need the Embassy ,as you rightly say ,they handed down a shocking budget , one Term Tony will send you a bill.

None of Australian pollies know much about Thailand from the PM down so the last place id visit would be smart traveller.gov.au and they always scare monger when they hear something about Thailand any aussie wishing to visit Thailand by all means go don't let the Australian government scare you off, I was here during the coup 2006 and guess what nothing happen but at the time the aussie government put out a scare to aussie travellers and warned them not to travel here no wonder many aussie leave the place to come here and they cant put down a decent budget yet warn people off what a joke they make them self's out to be.

the professional tourists comming here for pattaya / phuket are not deterred to not come here for their annual 2 week millionaire excentricities

the have big incentives to empty their sack

• Like 1

Why is it every time any government puts out advice to its citizens either living in an area of possible danger or travelling to one - there are always a bunch of cynics questioning their decisions - haven't any of them been to Pattaya recently - half the population there can hardly get up the escalator at Big C without help of a Thai nurse , or the techno freaks at Phuket airport who are so out of it they don't even know they're in Thailand . These people are our citizens and they need all the help they can get!!!!!

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by leggo
  • Like 1

I am sure they will not be the last foreign government to issue such a stark warning in the coming days.

Its actually no REAL change from the warning level the Aussie govt have had for the last three years, there just reinforcing a message we all know. Well done Dfat NOT!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Im surprised Australia hasn't had it's own civil war or riots yet. Have you seen the budget they just announced. Just one reason people continue to leave. I think the Australian government should just focus on their own issues and stop worrying about what is happening in other countries.

• Like 1

Issuing the Travel Warning, is simply a "matter of policy."

If they don't issue the warning and someone gets their little pinkie crushed by a marauding APC, they will blame the Australian Government.

I have now been in Thailand for Two Official Coups and this "Clayton's" Coup. 1992, 2006 and now, 2014. If you don't go looking for trouble, it is rather unlikely that trouble will seek you out.

Just exercise caution and discretion, don't be a "silly sausage" and you should be quite okay. You may even go home with some Happy Snaps of yourself and Smiling Soldiers in their Battle Gear.

That would be "quite a coup" amongst your mates back home, wouldn't it?

Edited by Torrens54
  • Like 1

I am sure they will not be the last foreign government to issue such a stark warning in the coming days.

Its actually no REAL change from the warning level the Aussie govt have had for the last three years, there just reinforcing a message we all know. Well done Dfat NOT!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yep, no change. Yala. Pattani, Songkhla: DO NOT TRAVEL, just as it's been for ages.

Sent from my laptop in Songkhla

Stark? We seem to have a different definition.

Government warnings should include "Look both ways before crossing roads!" as there is a much higher chance of being killed/injured doing that than by terrorist (aka democracy fighters) attack.

• Like 1