Official update from the Tourism Authority of Thailand on martial law rules

webfact

Official update from the Tourism Authority of Thailand on Marshall law rules
May 20, 2014

The London office for the Tourism Authority of Thailand updated travelers about the situation in Thailand after military authorities in the Kingdom imposed Marshall law effective since 03:00 (ICT) today, The Royal Thai Army have declared martial law that covers the whole of Thailand.

According to the army’s statement, this is not a coup. The martial law has been put in place to restore and maintain peace and order for all Thai people. In the announcement, the army told the public there is no need to panic and to continue with daily life as normal.

As of today, the situation remains unchanged in the city except for the presence of soldiers on the streets, simply to maintain peace and ensure order is kept at the protest sites. The situation at the rally sites of both anti- and pro-government groups in Bangkok remains calm.

The implementation of martial law has had no affect on transport and tourism attractions across the country. All public transport and tourist attractions, including airports, tourist sites and shopping malls, are currently open and operating as normal.

There is currently no curfew in place in Bangkok or at any other tourist destination in Thailand. Local residents and international visitors can continue to travel within Bangkok and other destinations in the country as usual.

No travel restrictions have been put in place by the FCO, their advice is to allow more time to travel to Bangkok airports in case of traffic disruptions.

The anti-government groups’ rally sites continue to be situated at:

- Government House at Makkhawan Rangsan Bridge on Ratchadamnoen Nok Avenue
- Chamai Maruchet Bridge on Phitsanulok Road
- Government Complex on Chaeng Wattana Road
- Democracy Monument on Ratchadamnoen Klang Avenue (a camping site)
- The pro-government group’s rally site is on Aksa Road in Bangkok’s western outskirts
- Tourists visiting the kingdom are advised to be vigilant and avoid rally sites and demonstration marches, as well as areas where crowds may gather.

General Travel & Tourism Advice

Despite traffic disruptions on certain roads in Bangkok due to the current political demonstrations, life in the most parts of the Thai capital and throughout Thailand continues as usual. However, tourists are advised to be vigilant and avoid rally sites and demonstration marches, as well as areas where crowds may gather. This is because there may be traffic disruptions or delays and thus causing inconvenience.

Air passengers with flights departing out of Suvarnabhumi and Don Mueang International Airports are advised to allocate at least 3-4 hours prior to their scheduled flight departure time.

Bangkok is a large city and so it is possible for local residents and international visitors to avoid the demonstration sites and rally routes. Traffic in the most parts of Bangkok is moving normally as almost all roads and expressways are not affected by the demonstrations.

All major tourist attractions in the Thai capital, including the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, the Grand Palace and the Temple of Dawn, are open normally. Tourists can visit all attractions using the usual means of transport, including buses, vans and car transfers by tour companies, taxis, the Skytrain, the subway or the boat and ferry service.

Businesses, including banks, petrol and gas stations, hotels, spas, restaurants, entertainment venues, cinemas, convention centres, shopping malls, superstores, convenient stores, pharmacies, hospitals and the like are open and operating as per normal. Telephone both landline and mobile and Internet services are available 24/7 as per normal.

All airports in Bangkok and throughout Thailand are open and operating as per normal.
Tourists with flights arriving in Bangkok (Suvarnabhumi or Don Mueang International Airports) and wish to see Thailand’s wealth of cultural and natural attractions outside of the Thai capital are recommended to make use of the many daily domestic flights, as well as bus and car transfers, to get to other popular destinations, such as, Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya, Hua Hin, Ko Samui, Khon Kaen and Sukhothai.

Source: http://www.eturbonews.com/45993/official-update-tourism-authority-thailand-marshall-law-rules

-- eTN 2014-05-20

Tourists visiting the kingdom are advised to be vigilant and avoid rally sites and demonstration marches, as well as areas where crowds may gather.

This means no shopping malls, tourists spots or bars either I guess.. giggle.gif

• Like 1

Probably one of the most well written editorials I have seen for a very long time, Clear concise and well detailed,however the accuracy remains to be seen.

I agree. Unfortunately, there are some that use any article as a springboard to vent their negative views that seem to be unsupported by nothing more than hate, bigotry and conjecture.

"Fly under the radar and one isn't likely to be shot down".

• Like 1

A rethink on the slogan is being mulled over now....

"It all ends with the army?"

Yeah it all ends there. It's a difficult concept for westerners to understand, so most westerners should just shut up about the way things work here... I'm deliberating pointing a finger at the government of The United States of America. If you can read Thai or have a wife that can translate... check out the social media across the board to get the pulse of what Thais think of the American opinion.

It's a phrasal verb... It starts with an F and ends with an O.

Yeah it all ends there. It's a difficult concept for westerners to understand, so most westerners should just shut up about the way things work here... I'm deliberating pointing a finger at the government of The United States of America. If you can read Thai or have a wife that can translate... check out the social media across the board to get the pulse of what Thais think of the American opinion.

I think you'll find it starts with an F and finishes with an f

• Like 1

Under Thai martial law the army has the right to commandeer the vehicle you are riding in,destroy your hotel or B and B if it believes that their is a presence or threat to peace and order as defined by them. The military has the right to confiscate your computer and or phone if it believes that you have transmitted or receive a message that might threaten peace and order by their definition. There will be a curfew yes or no? You are not permitted to gather in groups of four or more and if you do, you are subject to arrest. If you are in the line of fire between the army and suspected peace disturbers, they have the right to shoot you in the course of their business and you have no recourse. The TAT should get the facts straight on what this military martial law means without a civilan head of government saying they are in charge and what are next steps.

Irritating to claim a country is save when martial law is invoked, typical thai joke as they their reputation is fading out!giggle.gif

Thailand IS SAFE - nothing changed except that the shootings at the various protest sites should now stop, as the military will police the situation, which the police could not, or would not. Nothing else.

I assume that you would not wish that the shootings, killings, attacks and general state of unease continue?

The military guys I have met in the past during checkpoint operations for example were very friendly, courteous, and efficient.

It is not the Military one should be concerned about at all.

The protesters were getting out of hand (probably both sides), and the military realised that nobody was doing anything to reign in the situation, so they had to step in to prevent escalation of hostilities between the two factions.

I applaud the Royal Thai Army for taking a stand in the name of the people of Thailand.

In making this statement I think TAT has done the right thing. I know they are often criticised for making some truly foolish claims, but on this occasion, it's "Well done TAT!"

So far any nay sayers I have seen on this website are just bitter whingers who would complain if their a*rse was on fire.

Edited by Greer
  • Like 2

Under Thai martial law the army has the right to commandeer the vehicle you are riding in,destroy your hotel or B and B if it believes that their is a presence or threat to peace and order as defined by them. The military has the right to confiscate your computer and or phone if it believes that you have transmitted or receive a message that might threaten peace and order by their definition. There will be a curfew yes or no? You are not permitted to gather in groups of four or more and if you do, you are subject to arrest. If you are in the line of fire between the army and suspected peace disturbers, they have the right to shoot you in the course of their business and you have no recourse. The TAT should get the facts straight on what this military martial law means without a civilan head of government saying they are in charge and what are next steps.

Seriously - if you are stupid enough to go driving into areas where there is an armed uprising - which there is NOT - then you deserve what you get. It would seem to be common sense that one should not get between the forces of law and order and the forces of anarchy or criminality. The TAT states quite clearly where the rally sites are, and also states that people should avoid them - if that doesn't make sense to you, then yes, you might get in trouble - but through your own patent idiotic stupidity.

Bangkok is a very large place and the vast majority of it is operating absolutely as normal, with no disruption whatsoever - so comments that make it sound as if there are armed engagements on the street are totally uncalled for.

Your statements about martial law are probably correct, but taken as far out of context as you put them, the measures sound, and are, draconian - but then the normal Police have some pretty draconian measures available to them too - IF needed - but we don't go around being terrified of what might happen if for example, we murder someone - because we aren't going to do that - and it's not a normal thing to even consider as a reason to be concerned.

You need to make it plain to people that unless they get involved directly in some kind of armed uprising against the authorities - and that's not usually what people do on holiday - then obviously there is nothing to worry about.

We also should make it completely clear that Bangkok is NOT a city under siege, and that it is operating as normal, and peacefully going about it's business.

• Like 1

I think you'll find it starts with an F and finishes with an f

Both are correct... think about it...

This doesn't represent my stand on the matter at all, but just wanted to clarify. smile.png

whistling.gif God, what a bunch of idiots on Thai visa by some of the responses I'm reading here.

That announcement is as clear as it is possible to make such an announcement on short notice and under pressure.

I was actually out in Bangkok when all this was happening yesterday, and until I returned to my residence, I didn't even know anything was going on.

I only knew it had happened when I saw the military announcements broadcast on Thai television openly.

There's obviously a few idiots about who haven't yet got the message that their playtime is over.... time for them to quit fooling around, tidy up their messy room, and go back to their schoolwork like good children.

They will learn soon enough.

This is the 3rd time I've seen this happen in Thailand, and this is certainly so far the most professional and orderly one I've seen.

As I said, I was actually walking about doing my business while it was happening, and I never even knew it was going on until after I got back to where I live and saw the announcements on television.

Amazing.

• Like 1

Irritating to claim a country is save when martial law is invoked, typical thai joke as they their reputation is fading out!giggle.gif

Thailand IS SAFE - nothing changed except that the shootings at the various protest sites should now stop, as the military will police the situation, which the police could not, or would not. Nothing else.

I assume that you would not wish that the shootings, killings, attacks and general state of unease continue?

The military guys I have met in the past during checkpoint operations for example were very friendly, courteous, and efficient.

It is not the Military one should be concerned about at all.

The protesters were getting out of hand (probably both sides), and the military realised that nobody was doing anything to reign in the situation, so they had to step in to prevent escalation of hostilities between the two factions.

I applaud the Royal Thai Army for taking a stand in the name of the people of Thailand.

In making this statement I think TAT has done the right thing. I know they are often criticised for making some truly foolish claims, but on this occasion, it's "Well done TAT!"

So far any nay sayers I have seen on this website are just bitter whingers who would complain if their a*rse was on fire.

I am in Thailand for about twentyfive years and have seen what the military is capable of, and I take the right to express my concern about the situation. And no country is to be safe where military patrols the streets otherwise there would be no need of them to take action. People should stop sugaroating the shortcomings of this country.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app