to pay or not to pay ?

speedtripler

about a year ago i got knocked off my bike when a van driver erratically changed lanes in front of me (no signal ,his fault i assumed )

police came down and took our details and sent me to hospital because i was losing blood

i wasnt fit to argue at the side of the road in that state so i just went to hospital ,paid my own medical bills and collected the bike

from the police station a month later from the officer who was at the crash

(he just said its around the back you can walk around and take it )

today i get a call from insurance company of the van saying i owe them 27,000 and theyve been trying to contact me for a year etc by sending

letters to my old address

they say they will involve the police and i will be arrested at immigration and in "big trouble" if i dont give them the money in the next 24 hours at their bkk office ?

i went to hospital thinking it was the other guys fault and at no point did i admit responsibility at the scene ,hospital or police station

do i give them the 27k or let them make "big trouble" ?

Seek proper legal advice. There is also an 'ask a lawyer' section on Thai Visa.

I would also consider giving your insurance company the information and let them sort it out between themmselves.

Edited by CharlieH

Contact your insurance company and leave it all to them.

If you were not insured then maybe they can make big trouble for you.

i only had the 3rd party compulsary insurance on the particular bike that was involved and its been sold already .......

what big trouble can they make ?its not my fault they were unable to contact me

if the police arrest me and determie its my fault ,i suppose il pay

sounds like hot air and threats to me ,i dont even have a damage estimate for the repairs etc so they could be pulling

this number out of the air ............and why a year later ?

What was the extent of the police investigation into the crash? What statement did you give? Was your insurance rep. present at the scene of the crash? What did you sign?

As others have said, seek legal advice, I certainly wouldn't pay off the record.

Edited by chrisinth
  • Like 1

dont worry. legit companies dont act like this. 24 hours....................lol.

Some wise guy got a hold of your case and is scamming u.

thats what i was thinking lol ,after waiting a year they want the cash by the close of business tomorrow ......rolleyes.gif

but this one of the largest insurance companies in thailand and they want payment made at their head branch in bkk

so im not sure if its an an individual bumping up his salary or not

the size of a company means nothing in relation to its honesty etc

im not even in thailand at the moment so the only way would be to get a thai friend to pay it for me and give them it when i get back

but i assume they will write it off after a certain time like all unsecured debts as i have no assets they could lay a claim to although going

to court was mentioned ........

What was the extent of the police investigation into the crash? What statement did you give? Was your insurance rep. present at the scene of the crash? What did you sign?

As others have said, seek legal advice, I certainly wouldn't pay off the record.

i honestly cant remember ,the officer in charge let me go to ambulance after taking a picture of my licence and passport

i met him again a month later and he shook hands and said i was free to take my bike back as if the case was closed ??

my memory is hazy about the scene of the crash because i had a concussion ,i dont know if i signed anything or not ,i just wanted to go to hospital ASAP because i had injuries and i dont remember seeing anyone from insirance companies but there was a large crowd gathered around so there might have been someone from his insurance ,i did not have anything except the worthless govt insurance that costs 100b

dont worry. legit companies dont act like this. 24 hours....................lol.

thats what i was thinking lol ,after waiting a year they want the cash by the close of business tomorrow ......rolleyes.gif

but this one of the largest insurance companies in thailand and they want payment made at their head branch in bkk

im not even in thailand at the moment so the only way would be to get a thai friend to pay it for me and give them it when i get back

but i assume they will write it off after a certain time like all unsecured debts as i have no assets they could lay a claim to although going

The fact that you are not in Thailand tells they have no contact with immigration whatsoever. But no harm to try ask your friend get the police report to verify.

My hunch is, the bugger must have swing the police to his side of the story and the (his) insurance company is doing the rest to go one up on an ignorant farang!

All said and done, the police report will reveal all! Best of luck buddy

Sent from my GT-P6200

Edited by Mark T

The fact that you are not in Thailand tells they have no contact with immigration whatsoever. But no harm to try ask your friend get the police report to verify.

My hunch is, the bugger must have swing the police to his side of the story and the (his) insurance company is doing the rest to go one up on an ignorant farang!

Sent from my GT-P6200

Where does it say hes not in Thailand. He only changed addresses. Best to have a lawyer or insurance company deal with it. It smells though...how long do they say they have been looking for you?

im visiting relatives in the uk at the moment so they cant do much to me here :)

i figure its a civil rather than criminal issue anyway so getting the police to physically arrest me for it

maybe an empty threat but of course in thailand anythings possible

Sent from my GT-P6200

Where does it say hes not in Thailand. He only changed addresses. Best to have a lawyer or insurance company deal with it. It smells though...how long do they say they have been looking for you?

Geez :huh:

Sent from my GT-P6200

Sent from my GT-P6200

The bit where he says "im not even in thailand at the moment"

• Like 2

If a Police report was never filed there is no legal recognition of the accident. The hospital would have had your address and they could have contacted you easily. Just ignore them and let them sue you, which they are highly unlikely to do for 27,000 Baht. Costs are not awarded to any party in a Thai Court so it will cost them more than 27,000 Baht to hire a lawyer. They cannot claim more than 27,000 Baht or take your house or report you to Immigration or anything like that. It was the car driver's responsibility to report the accident because you were incapacitated, plus the Police were involved anyway. If you had done anything wrong the Police would not have returned your bike, without filing a report. Either do nothing or tell them to sue you and you will probably get damages awarded to you.

• Like 1

If a Police report was never filed there is no legal recognition of the accident. The hospital would have had your address and they could have contacted you easily. Just ignore them and let them sue you, which they are highly unlikely to do for 27,000 Baht. Costs are not awarded to any party in a Thai Court so it will cost them more than 27,000 Baht to hire a lawyer. They cannot claim more than 27,000 Baht or take your house or report you to Immigration or anything like that. It was the car driver's responsibility to report the accident because you were incapacitated, plus the Police were involved anyway. If you had done anything wrong the Police would not have returned your bike, without filing a report. Either do nothing or tell them to sue you and you will probably get damages awarded to you.

i think they might have recorded the address on my driving licence

which i moved out a few years before the accident so

it maybe true they sent letters to the wrong address ,i have no way to verify that

seems very strange they would wait a year and then demand money but they have "proof " apparently

at their hq but to see the proof id have to go there and it maybe hard to leave the buillding without paying whether

there is real proof or not .......

i dont get what are the police going to do ? its not a crime to be nearly killed by a minvan although the police are going

to be informed tomorrow to arrest me if its not paid etc ?

sounds like horsesh1t

it maybe true they sent letters to the wrong address ,i have no way to verify that

seems very strange they would wait a year and then demand money but they have "proof " apparently

at their hq but to see the proof id have to go there and it maybe hard to leave the buillding without paying whether

i dont get what are the police going to do ? its not a crime to be nearly killed by a minvan although the police are going

sounds like horsesh1t

You couldn't have signed an accident report before you went to hospital and surely you must remember if you signed on when you picked up your bike. It's BS. If you really are worried just get a new passport before you return. It sounds like a scam. Believe me if it really was your fault the Insurance Company would have followed you to the hospital.

sounds like horsesh1t

You couldn't have signed an accident report before you went to hospital and surely you must remember if you signed on when you picked up your bike. It's BS. If you really are worried just get a new passport before you return. It sounds like a scam. Believe me if it really was your fault the Insurance Company would have followed you to the hospital.

cant remember really what happened at the scene ,there was a crowd of about 200 people gathered around

as thais love to see a good accident esp if theres a splash of blood and it was very confusing

definately didnt sign anything at the station ,the policeman was cool ,just gave me the keys back and shook hands

and let me take it away

he didnt even hint at any tea money or bribes etc and i thought the matter was closed as i didnt press charges against the other driver

and i assumed he didnt against me

i paid for my own repairs and medical treatment

sounds like horsesh1t

cant remember really what happened at the scene ,there was a crowd of about 200 people gathered around

as thais love to see a good accident esp if theres a splash of blood and it was very confusing

definately didnt sign anything at the station ,the policeman was cool ,just gave me the keys back and shook hands

and let me take it away

he didnt even hint at any tea money or bribes etc and i thought the matter was closed as i didnt press charges against the other driver

and i assumed he didnt against me

i paid for my own repairs and medical treatment

Case Closed.

Pay if you get arrested, until then keep the money in your pocket

After a new tax year a lot bigger debts than this are simply written off because they can't get the payment from the person

Don't worry about police, they would have arrested you by now if they were going to and the rest is scare tactics

Police don't work for insurance companies, debt collection companies do that job in Thailand and if you don't own properties or anything they have nothing to take

Not trying to criticize, but since there was an injury and damages, you should have followed up when it happened. They were likely waiting to have to pay you, and when you didnt come forward, they figured you were an easy touch so are trying to shake you down.

Not trying to criticize, but since there was an injury and damages, you should have followed up when it happened. They were likely waiting to have to pay you, and when you didnt come forward, they figured you were an easy touch so are trying to shake you down.

yes you should have put in a claim for your injuries,as the wife keeps telling me never mind who's at fault its the one that's biggest pays.bike vs car or anything bigger it is their fault.counteract with a reply as its been already advised you are seeking damages for your hospital bill for your injuries and you are having nightmares over the crash.and while in the uk.if your still registered with your gp.go and see him and tell him your fear,thus getting a written report from him.

yes you should have put in a claim for your injuries,as the wife keeps telling me never mind who's at fault its the one that's biggest pays.bike vs car or anything bigger it is their fault.counteract with a reply as its been already advised you are seeking damages for your hospital bill for your injuries and you are having nightmares over the crash.and while in the uk.if your still registered with your gp.go and see him and tell him your fear,thus getting a written report from him.

Well if it is really the biggest one that pays then i can be rich in a week. I would buy me a new Honda Gold Wing and the best leather suit/helmet i can find and just drive around untill some minibus pushes me of the road. He will have to pay all my damage.

But if this would be the case then why do those guys all drive like morons? And all other cars also don't give a hit about motorcycles on the road. Sometimes i wonder if Thai drivers realize what will happen if they push me of the road with their car. I will go to bungumrad hospital and my insurance will call it's lawyers to claim all the costs back from them.

Well if it is really the biggest one that pays then i can be rich in a week. I would buy me a new Honda Gold Wing and the best leather suit/helmet i can find and just drive around untill some minibus pushes me of the road. He will have to pay all my damage.

But if this would be the case then why do those guys all drive like morons? And all other cars also don't give a hit about motorcycles on the road. Sometimes i wonder if Thai drivers realize what will happen if they push me of the road with their car. I will go to bungumrad hospital and my insurance will call it's lawyers to claim all the costs back from them.

They don't care much about small scooters and such, I notice a big difference in how cars treat me if I am on the scooter or on the big bike.

As for the biggest always pays that is not true at all that really depends who was wrong, they will however if you have first class insurance try to get you to pay as you got insurance anyway. Best thing is to have your insurance rep come over help.(provided you have an extra insurance on the bike.. i have one for the big bike not for the scooter)