UK Driving License

I didn't really know where to put this thread, so went for general topics.

I had an email from my neighbor yesterday telling me I had a letter sent to my house from DVLA (I rent the house out) to let me know that my plastic part license expires next month. He told me that I have to sign itand send it back. So I think OK just send it to me, I'll sign it and send it back. In the meantime I have checked the DVLA website and it doesn't appear that simple.

Has anyone had any experience with this. It could affect quite a lot of us.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-paper-driving-licence

jb1

You need this link to renew a photocard licence https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

I did it a couple of years back, everything on-line, it's a piece of cake, particularly if you have a fairly recent passport renewal.

By the way, after hunting out my NI number it turns out (contrary to the linked page) that you don't actually NEED it.

Legally, if you are not resident in the UK the licence expires and can not be renewed.

True.

I made the mistake a couple of years ago of voluntarily contacting DVLA as i had been made aware that to have an incorrect address on your license was an offence, and i was worried that were i to be involved in an accident whilst on holiday in the UK, there might be issues with the insurance and such. So contact them i did, only to learn that to renew your license you have to declare that you are a permanent UK resident. The other thing they stipulate on the form is that you are not allowed to use a "care of" address. The only way i could see of getting around not losing my license, or at any rate, not having it renewed, was to lie. Ridiculous.

re

to renew your license you have to declare that you are a permanent UK resident. The other thing they stipulate on the form is that you are not allowed to use a "care of" address. The only way i could see of getting around not losing my license, or at any rate, not having it renewed, was to lie

i lost my lorry and coach licence because of the above in

08 coz i only have a care off address in the uk now

and i wouldnt lie either :(

dave2

post-42592-0-89041800-1400638356_thumb.j

Of course, you can drive in the UK on a Thai driving licence for up to 12 months, so I suspect for most people there's little point trying to keep the UK one. Indeed, in case of accident, if deception were detected, I'm pretty sure any car insurance would be invalid.

Of course, you can drive in the UK on a Thai driving licence for up to 12 months, so I suspect for most people there's little point trying to keep the UK one. Indeed, in case of accident, if deception were detected, I'm pretty sure any car insurance would be invalid.

Yes that's true,, You can use a Thai driving for up to 12 months,, But the price you will have to pay for Insurance is scandalous.

Yes that's true,, You can use a Thai driving for up to 12 months,, But the price you will have to pay for Insurance is scandalous.

Actually even if you have a UK driving license, you will have a problem getting insurance as a non UK resident. In my experience not so much about being scandalously expensive but simply refusing to offer a policy. Of course most people simply don't declare their non resident status which gets around the problem although what the ramifications would be in the case of an accident is another matter...

If your passport is less than five years old you can renew your UK driving licence online giving your passport details, they lift your photograph and signature from your passport file and issue your new licence. I use my UK licence when on holiday for car hire and point out that I am visiting family, never been an issue. However, were I to hire a car using my Thai licence then I am told the cost would be considerably higher and they would want to see an IDP!

Without getting embroiled in semantics over residency my personal view is that I am in Thailand with permission to stay, I do not have permanent residency therefore rather than be stateless I consider myself a permanent resident of my home country (UK).

Others may (and can) disagree with my interpretation but that is their privelage as it is mine !

If your passport is less than five years old you can renew your UK driving licence online giving your passport details, they lift your photograph and signature from your passport file and issue your new licence. I use my UK licence when on holiday for car hire and point out that I am visiting family, never been an issue. However, were I to hire a car using my Thai licence then I am told the cost would be considerably higher and they would want to see an IDP!

Without getting embroiled in semantics over residency my personal view is that I am in Thailand with permission to stay, I do not have permanent residency therefore rather than be stateless I consider myself a permanent resident of my home country (UK).

Others may (and can) disagree with my interpretation but that is their privelage as it is mine !

UK authorities don't care about what your status is in Thailand, or anywhere else. To qualify as UK resident you have to live in the UK for six months or more of a given year. If you don't, you are not UK resident.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

To qualify as UK resident you have to live in the UK for six months or more of a given year. If you don't, you are not UK resident.

Or 91 days continuously if you own a home in the UK under the new Statutory Residence Test.

To qualify as UK resident you have to live in the UK for six months or more of a given year. If you don't, you are not UK resident.

Or 91 days continuously if you own a home in the UK under the new Statutory Residence Test.

I am going to hi-jack my own post here a bit.

Your AyG I find post Interesting. Just wondering, good what you say possibly be used to advantage in the pensions senario?

jb1

You need this link to renew a photocard licence https://www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence

I did it a couple of years back, everything on-line, it's a piece of cake, particularly if you have a fairly recent passport renewal.

By the way, after hunting out my NI number it turns out (contrary to the linked page) that you don't actually NEED it.

Hello Crossy,

Yes I did come accross that link. Unfortunatly I don't have to renew my passport until Feb 16

jb1

re

to renew your license you have to declare that you are a permanent UK resident. The other thing they stipulate on the form is that you are not allowed to use a "care of" address. The only way i could see of getting around not losing my license, or at any rate, not having it renewed, was to lie

and i wouldnt lie either sad.png

dave2

That's interesting because I do still own property in the UK, it is let though. So in reality no need of a care of address. Although I do have one for other purposes.

jb1

AyG I find your post Interesting. Just wondering. What you say could possibly be used to good advantage in the pensions senario?

jb1

Your AyG I find post Interesting. Just wondering, good what you say possibly be used to advantage in the pensions senario?

jb1

The rule I cited specifically applies to income tax. The residency requirements for pension indexation may well be different.

True although for the purposes of this discussion, probably not relevant. The 91 day thing is intended for people, as I understand it, who are relocating to the UK, not for people coming for a three month holiday.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ XA using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

re

and i wouldnt lie either sad.png

dave2

That's interesting because I do still own property in the UK, it is let though. So in reality no need of a care of address. Although I do have one for other purposes.

jb1

I don't think ownership of property comes into the equation with regards care of address, especially if you have tenants living there.

I did spend quite some time on this last night and found some interesting posts from some expat forums, but thought it best not to post on TV.

one was it seems that all UK driving licenses are valid until the holder reaches age 70, only the photo part has to be renewed every 10yrs and yes if you are not a UK resident it can not be renewed. But not to worry all you have to do is renew it when you return to the UK, pay the license fee plus pay a fine (not stipulated) for not renewing it on time.

If you do come back to the UK for a holiday and use your expired plastic part license you face a £1000.00 fine and possibly a prison sentence.

What I couldn't find was If you do let the licence expire at the age of 70 (which is when you get a 3yr licence after passing a basic medical) how much grace are you given before you have to apply for provisional license and re take the driving test?

I do intend becoming a UK resident sometime in the future. In my own time.

jb1

I suggest you just lie to them. Chances are they regard you as resident for taxation purposes anyway.

Tell them whatever they want to hear and you will have your new license before you know it.

It's always a good idea to not cut ties with a country for things like this.

I suggest you just lie to them. Chances are they regard you as resident for taxation purposes anyway.

Tell them whatever they want to hear and you will have your new license before you know it.

For most people I don't think lying to them is a problem from an ethical point of view, the concern is rather what will the implications be should one have an accident or something.

For most people I don't think lying to them is a problem from an ethical point of view

If one is taking an ethical point of view then lying is totally out of the question. I think you meant that most people are lying scumbags totally devoid of ethics who will say anything that is to their benefit however immoral or illegal.

Ah, I am registered as an out of the country landlord, for tax purposes.

jb1

For most people I don't think lying to them is a problem from an ethical point of view

If one is taking an ethical point of view then lying is totally out of the question. I think you meant that most people are lying scumbags totally devoid of ethics who will say anything that is to their benefit however immoral or illegal.
Lying to the state is always illegal, and because of that, not something I would recommend, but I'm not so sure it's always a matter of ethics. Laws change from one year to the next, sometimes quite arbitrarily on the whim of a bunch of politicians... not the people I myself look to for teachings on the rights and wrongs of the world... personally, in, a lot of cases, I'd be more concerned from an ethical point of view with the person prepared to lie to a loved one, than the person telling a little porkie to the state... but each to their own.

When I first read this my brain interpreted it as "...most politicians are lying scumbags....".

Only as I continued to read other posts did I notice it was "people".

As I'm aging, the grey matter doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. But today, I like the way my brain is interpreting things.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand